WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
... And yes, Iowa has also had players transfer recently. So yes, it is happening with more frequency on women's teams now than it used to. ISU is not seeing it to a significantly greater extent IMO...

Offhand, I can't recall any recent Iowa transfers, though I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two in the future since they are overstocked on forwards. Agreed that transfers in all sports are happening more frequently, UNI's VB program being an in-state example. ISU WBB's rate is abnormally high IMHO. But I do know that parents of traveling-team players talk alot, and there is no way that anyone coming into the ISU program did not know what they were getting into.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
If you knew anything about recruiting you'd know these kids see practices and real games and know exactly what Coach Fenn is like.

My contributions to this thread is based on actual conversations with actual players/parents, and what I see and hear sitting less than 10 feet from the huddle.

How about one real life comment from a real life dad, on a phone call from his then playing daughter.

"He sure talks a lot differently to me now than he did when he was recruiting me!"

I could quickly put another 6 on here, but it would serve neither the purpose of this thread, nor the intent of the forum.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
My contributions to this thread is based on actual conversations with actual players/parents, and what I see and hear sitting less than 10 feet from the huddle.

How about one real life comment from a real life dad, on a phone call from his then playing daughter.

"He sure talks a lot differently to me now than he did when he was recruiting me!"

I could quickly put another 6 on here, but it would serve neither the purpose of this thread, nor the intent of the forum.

Ouch. Success has been pretty consistent so I suppose this is tolerated by some. Observe tough love at games as well, yet not sure what to think of it because we've been blessed with so many great Cyclone lady players and ambassadors of ISU, along with court success. Wonder what Allison Otzelberger would say honestly about the 'style' if she was asked.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ouch. Success has been pretty consistent so I suppose this is tolerated by some. Observe tough love at games as well, yet not sure what to think of it because we've been blessed with so many great Cyclone lady players and ambassadors of ISU, along with court success. Wonder what Allison Otzelberger would say honestly about the 'style' if she was asked.

Or Lyndsey Medders?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wonder what Allison Otzelberger would say honestly about the 'style' if she was asked.

Or Lyndsey Medders?

I don't doubt that there are many ladies who would say that the tough love is what helped make them succeed. I also don't doubt that there are many that are the complete opposite. People are all different.
Bob Knight has won a National Championship and Tubby Smith has won a National Championship. Different coaching styles can work.

I do know that what I hear from people in the business and from what I can see and hear at the women's games is that he is tough. That part doesn't bother me so much. The part that bothers me is the screaming and cursing. To me it contradicts the values that Fennelly believes in. I do know it wins though, and it has won here. Just a little bit of a tough balancing act to see sometimes.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
For every comment that is negative I could come up with a dozen that are glowingly positive. I've also talked with several players who said they knew exactly what the program was like based on what they observed at practices and games. You can't hide that. Sure, what is said in the living room of a recruiting visit is probably all flowers and Lucky charms. But these ladies come to games, attend practices, etc. if they say that they didn't know this was his coaching style than they had their head under a rock.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For every comment that is negative I could come up with a dozen that are glowingly positive.

Are you associating possible truth with being negative? I don't think that my post before yours was negative, I think it's what anyone can see and hear if they sit by our bench.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Welcome to big time athletics. If you think this is soley a BF thing then you are greatly mistaken.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Welcome to big time athletics. If you think this is soley a BF thing then you are greatly mistaken.

Don't believe I ever said that. Geno, Staley, Mike Rice, Bobby Knight, etc. Even heard some terrible stuff from Pat Summitt on a documentary, stuff that would get you fired as a teacher.

Does the fact that it's common mean we have to think it's OK?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Don't believe I ever said that. Geno, Staley, Mike Rice, Bobby Knight, etc. Even heard some terrible stuff from Pat Summitt on a documentary, stuff that would get you fired as a teacher.

Does the fact that it's common mean we have to think it's OK?

you don't have to think it is ok. It's your choice to support the program or not.

As as far as the players go, they know what they are getting into. And they are granted their release if they don't like it.

I agree that bill probably could stand to not be quite such a hard ***. But it's the way it has been for 20 years. And the positives far outweigh the negatives.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree that bill probably could stand to not be quite such a hard ***. But it's the way it has been for 20 years. And the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Not trying to side track it at all but it also shows that a coach from Toledo can have success here as well.

Carry on...

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The gist of this thread...

Man-Sharpening-Axe-Grinding-Stone-1665625.jpg

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006

You either ask inappropriate questions or you are a really great listener and players and parents just open right up to you. I can't understand why you keep going to the games when season after season you have to see and hear all the negativity surrounding our program.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Offhand, I can't recall any recent Iowa transfers, though I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two in the future since they are overstocked on forwards. Agreed that transfers in all sports are happening more frequently, UNI's VB program being an in-state example. ISU WBB's rate is abnormally high IMHO. But I do know that parents of traveling-team players talk alot, and there is no way that anyone coming into the ISU program did not know what they were getting into.

Here are two transfers in the past 5 years. I thought there was one more recently, but have not tried to track it down.
http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_5d5b9fc4-4521-11df-8893-001cc4c002e0.html

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061913aab.html

As far as ISU having a higher rate than average, that may be. But it's also possibly because a) BF hung on too long recruiting the type of player that made ISU successful in the early days but who probably cannot compete in the Big 12 nowadays; and b) BF seems to give some underdog prospects a chance. Some of these players likely were not ready for the challenge (however you want to describe that challenge). If you actually count players who did or could make an impact, the rate would seem much lower IMO.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

I do know that what I hear from people in the business and from what I can see and hear at the women's games is that he is tough. That part doesn't bother me so much. The part that bothers me is the screaming and cursing. To me it contradicts the values that Fennelly believes in. I do know it wins though, and it has won here. Just a little bit of a tough balancing act to see sometimes.

Not that we have to like it, but the language used by players and coaches in many college sports today (and really in the past decade) is harsh to hear by some of us who grew up with much stricter rules about words you're not allowed to say. There may be some mild-mannered coaches who keep it clean, but it seems to be the exception. There are probably better ways than others to be yelled at and cursed at, but it shouldn't be a surprise. It would be nice if the other ways won out, literally in wins as well, but the accomplishments of this program in winning how it has over the past decade and making the NCAA tourney -- with the wholesome talent we have -- inevitably comes with some pressure both coaches and players.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
Looks like she is going to be a Gopher. She just tweeted "blessed", and is now following their head coach.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
What, I wonder, would be the consequences if there was evidence of contact by the new institution or a booster with a student athlete before release?