WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like she is going to be a Gopher. She just tweeted "blessed", and is now following their head coach.

Maybe. It is her home state school and I think she played AAU with Gopher star Carlie Wagner. Thing is she doesn't, IMHO, fit the Gopher play style very well. Keep in mind I am not a X's and O's guy, it's just they play very uptempo and Bry seems to be more of a half court player.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not that we have to like it, but the language used by players and coaches in many college sports today (and really in the past decade) is harsh to hear by some of us who grew up with much stricter rules about words you're not allowed to say. There may be some mild-mannered coaches who keep it clean, but it seems to be the exception. There are probably better ways than others to be yelled at and cursed at, but it shouldn't be a surprise.
No, I don't think most Div. I women's basketball coaches have a vocabulary with their players like Bill does. No I don't...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What, I wonder, would be the consequences if there was evidence of contact by the new institution or a booster with a student athlete before release?
I'm not trying to put it down but I would assume that it's not common in women's basketball.

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
Here are two transfers in the past 5 years. I thought there was one more recently, but have not tried to track it down.
http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_5d5b9fc4-4521-11df-8893-001cc4c002e0.html

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061913aab.html

As far as ISU having a higher rate than average, that may be. But it's also possibly because a) BF hung on too long recruiting the type of player that made ISU successful in the early days but who probably cannot compete in the Big 12 nowadays; and b) BF seems to give some underdog prospects a chance. Some of these players likely were not ready for the challenge (however you want to describe that challenge). If you actually count players who did or could make an impact, the rate would seem much lower IMO.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about Machado, that was a biggie. I'm not remembering Kathy Thomas at all, obviously she was there.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
What, I wonder, would be the consequences if there was evidence of contact by the new institution or a booster with a student athlete before release?

If they contacted her unsolicited, probably pretty big. But I assume she initiated contact with them through back channels and got confirmation that they'd have a spot for her if she left.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
This makes our third player in four years to transfer to another high-major school (Bingley to FSU, Gambino to Wisconsin). That hadn't happened very often in the past -- I believe Whitney Williams (TCU) is the only other one in the Fennelly era depending on the definition of "high-major".

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
you don't have to think it is ok. It's your choice to support the program or not.

As as far as the players go, they know what they are getting into. And they are granted their release if they don't like it.

I agree that bill probably could stand to not be quite such a hard ***. But it's the way it has been for 20 years. And the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Sometimes.....

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
This makes our third player in four years to transfer to another high-major school (Bingley to FSU, Gambino to Wisconsin). That hadn't happened very often in the past -- I believe Whitney Williams (TCU) is the only other one in the Fennelly era depending on the definition of "high-major".

We know why Bingley transferred (don't need to dig that hole again). It's hard to count Gambino's situation as similar. After her transfer sit-out, she didn't play in 14-15 due to a foot injury, and is sparsely playing this year with little production. And Wisconsin is not very good right now. She was one of those underdog prospects BF was taking a chance on. It doesn't mean these transfers didn't hurt the program. Each provided depth, which this program has needed.

I may not like saying this, and it may just be speculation on my part, but I don't think we would have won more games with Bingley than with Moody. If you assume they weren't going to co-exist on the same team, one needed to transfer. I give Moody lots of credit for helping us get wins vs Baylor and Texas last season. She was a skilled PG who could make tough shots and FTs and play defense.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
The Iowa State way, aka "my way or the highway" aka "the Bill Fennelly way". But I have to agree, they should know what they are getting into just by watching a game or two.

I heard just that little snip it of CBF saying that they are releasing Bre and he was ready to blow his stack. Seriously he needs to evaluate himself. If is fair for him to say to say "play the Iowa State way", shouldn't he then COACH the Iowa State way?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bell, Thomas all went to non-division 1 schools.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The part that bothers me is the screaming and cursing. To me it contradicts the values that Fennelly believes in.

Precisely this.

I wonder what Fennelly thought when Pollard mentioned after Prohm was chosen that one of the things he was looking for in a MBB coach was someone who wasn't a screamer.

I haven't been to a game in person yet with Prohm. Does he scream and curse?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Precisely this.

I wonder what Fennelly thought when Pollard mentioned after Prohm was chosen that one of the things he was looking for in a MBB coach was someone who wasn't a screamer.

I haven't been to a game in person yet with Prohm. Does he scream and curse?

Yells a LOT but it's last names and some plays. I was at the game in Sioux Falls and he'd yell Jameel or Meel a lot. It was easier there than Hilton to hear just because it was a small arena. Not in a negative way at all, just yelling to make sure they hear him.
Haven't heard him curse yet.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

This may be a case of a player wanting a lesser role on the team. She seemed like a very laid-back player who took things in stride. But she might have held a lot of things inside. Last year as a freshman, when ISU was undersized and Maddie was out, she was put in a tough situation. Some would love the minutes and opportunity, but maybe the pressure took its toll (whether pressure from the game, coach, fans, or herself). It would be nice if we didn't have to rely on a freshman post in the Big 12, because that is a tough job in this league, and it does take a thick skin in more ways than one. A freshman post should have some time to adjust. But if you are faced with being the go-to post, you had better hope your coaches are challenging you in practice, because you will need it to survive on the court.

So maybe Bry just decided that wasn't for her. Minnesota has about 4-5 centers on their roster with multiple years of eligibility left. So Bry won't have to be the go-to post. She can develop when and how she wants.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
There seems to be various criticism of BF and the Iowa State Way. Obviously, this is an overused phrase that lots of programs use. BF and Jadda are featured in ISU's Visions magazine, Winter 2016 edition. I think alumni get the print version. The online articles aren't posted yet.

In my mind, a key part of BF's message is to work hard and finish what you start. That has been "his way" all along. You cannot say he doesn't do that.

No doubt, that's why a transfer like Bry at this time probably makes him so mad, even though he moves on in the interests of the team. Leaving in the middle of the season, the "finish what you start" message didn't hold up very well with Bry.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.09.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.09.15 PM.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,073

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yells a LOT but it's last names and some plays. I was at the game in Sioux Falls and he'd yell Jameel or Meel a lot. It was easier there than Hilton to hear just because it was a small arena. Not in a negative way at all, just yelling to make sure they hear him.
Haven't heard him curse yet.

He's not a negative reinforcement guy, or as he puts it, he's coaching the next play not the last one. I don't think you are going to be hearing Larry E. and Bill profanity from him.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not sure I fully agree. Bry doesn't look particularly athletic when rebounding or blocking shots, but I always thought she ran up and down the floor well.

You are probablyright. In thinking about it more she does run the court well. Her size and build "seems" like a half court player but her half court potential would mean her getting stronger.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
At least in this article, she takes no swings at ISU. She didn't say she was unhappy, or felt mistreated, or anything negative. In fact, she didn't say anything at all about ISU. Too bad the posters her could not have treated her with the same courtesy.

Yeah, because a press release (not an article) from the new school is going to talk about the old school.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron