WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think a lot of athletes have an idea where they are transferring before leaving. Especially mid season transfers

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good Lord, some of you are writing novel chapters on here.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
yep. Didn't hold back, very interesting.

There are transfers at the end of the season and there are transfers in the middle
of the season. Remember Staiger?

When I strted working in public accounting back in the 90s, there was a time honored tradition that you didn't quit during the busy season (Dec to May) because it would create a massive headache in terms
of logistics and clients assignments and the partners wouldn't provide a reference for you if you did that. Not sure whether it's still the norm these days but that just illustrates that there are etiquette in leaving.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Well, this won't be popular, but I'm glad she's gone. She wasn't happy, being at Ames or with this group of players, it was obvious. But from a selfish point of view, it drove me nuts watching her play. I'm not a huge women's bball fan, but when I watch I expect to see above average athletic ability.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
What I find interesting is yes she left mid-season but typically when Student-Athletes leave it is at the END of the semester not 6 games after. She played 6 more games after the end of finals and a game 1 day prior to making her decision.Maybe she always wanted to play at Minnesota but when she was being recruited it was by Pam Borton. Maybe with a new captain guiding the ship, she feels better about leaving. Again timing is not great but like someone earlier said better now then having a player not giving her all the rest of the season.My take from listening to Billy, is they know something fishy went on but they aren't going to dwell on it or fight it. This is either really smart or foolish. Only time will tell. Can't wait to see how Meredith and Claire respond!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Bill is a hard-*** in your face coach who will rip on you. However if you play hard for him, he'll have your back for life. Some players want to be coached that way some want to be coddled. No matter what, he's been there 20 years and if a recruit doesn't realize how he coaches, that's on them.
There are fewer of Bill type players every year. Maybe he needs to recruit only that type so he does not have these problems. The current kids do not like to be berated as much in the past. PC generation.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, this won't be popular, but I'm glad she's gone. She wasn't happy, being at Ames or with this group of players, it was obvious. But from a selfish point of view, it drove me nuts watching her play. I'm not a huge women's bball fan, but when I watch I expect to see above average athletic ability.

Not too popular probably because we are/were a better team with her then without her regardless of why she left. We have now lost two players that started games this year on roster that was not that deep to start with (we haven't been deep in years).

As far as her not being happy I guess that is obvious now. If social media stuff is any clue she didn't seem to be "in" with many of the other players whether that was a her thing or a them thing I have no idea.

BTW, I have some opinions on the program that would be way more unpopular then yours! Sharing them would probably get me ostracized from the forum forever.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
Not too popular probably because we are/were a better team with her then without her regardless of why she left. We have now lost two players that started games this year on roster that was not that deep to start with (we haven't been deep in years).

As far as her not being happy I guess that is obvious now. If social media stuff is any clue she didn't seem to be "in" with many of the other players whether that was a her thing or a them thing I have no idea.

BTW, I have some opinions on the program that would be way more unpopular then yours! Sharing them would probably get me ostracized from the forum forever.

I think she was no longer happy because she was no longer a starter. Rather than prove she should be, she left. I also think this group of girls really do have great relationships off the court. I would guess she had separated herself a bit months ago. Although public intoxication charges might be common for college students, it is not common for ISU Women's basketball players. She may have different interests and less dedication.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think she was no longer happy because she was no longer a starter. Rather than prove she should be, she left. I also think this group of girls really do have great relationships off the court. I would guess she had separated herself a bit months ago. Although public intoxication charges might be common for college students, it is not common for ISU Women's basketball players. She may have different interests and less dedication.

Not buying that at all. She was the player of the game in her last game as a Cyclone. It's not like she was relegated to the bench She averaged 19 minutes a game last year where she started most of the games. Averaging 20 this year.

Last edited:

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
Not buying that at all. She was the player of the game in her last game as a Cyclone. It's not like she was relegated to the bench She averaged 19 minutes a game last year where she started most of the games. Averaging 20 this year.

Do you also not buy the fact that that if she didn't start she acted uninterested?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Do you also not buy the fact that that if she didn't start she acted uninterested?

Seriously, I have no idea what you are referencing. She was so "uninterested" in the last game that she didn't start that she had a double-double and 4 blocks. She is inconsistent and maybe didn't have the stamina to play 35 minutes but "uninterested" doesn't describe what I have seen the last two years. I don't know anything about her off-court commitment to improve or get in shape etc but never thought she was loafing during games. A lot of our players don't look like they are having fun during games. Not everyone is going to be as easy to read as Ricketts was to get back on the court. She just visually exuded pure joy earlier this year when she got to play again. Other people aren't always going to outwardly express that.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
Seriously, I have no idea what you are referencing. She was so "uninterested" in the last game that she didn't start that she had a double-double and 4 blocks. She is inconsistent and maybe didn't have the stamina to play 35 minutes but "uninterested" doesn't describe what I have seen the last two years. I don't know anything about her off-court commitment to improve or get in shape etc but never thought she was loafing during games. A lot of our players don't look like they are having fun during games. Not everyone is going to be as easy to read as Ricketts was to get back on the court. She just visually exuded pure joy earlier this year when she got to play again. Other people aren't always going to outwardly express that.

You keep talking about the last game. I am talking about the whole season.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
"Is the Era of Abusive College Coaches Finally Coming to an End?"

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/09/29/end-abusive-coaches-college-football-basketball

Although not mentioned, I have to admit I kept waiting for BF to be brought up as I was reading this because of our transfer rate. Several women's examples are noted, but it seemed to be more related to bullying. BF certainly yells and gets in your face, but I don't think he goes as far as the things brought up here.