WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
th

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Obviously a shock to the coaching staff for this to happen. There were no hints showing this was coming. No one should blame the coaches or anything else until any information actually comes forth...and I would guess that won't happen.
I guessed something was coming just from being a spectator. If the coaching staff can't figure it out when they are right there with the team day in and day out, there is a problem. All you have to do is read my rare posts that I have made this season. They have been practically everyone about Bree. I haven't been posting much frankly because I am fed up with the coaching. I have respect for so many things about Bill's job here at ISU. But the last five years I have become increasingly disillusioned. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't say enough about the potential that Bree brought to ISU. I realize that she didn't fit Bill's style, but there is something to the ability to adjust to your talent, or recruit people that will fit your style of game.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
If this IS the case, then I don't care HOW "experienced" you are (BF)...you gotta knock it off! Study how the UCONN coach handles the "bruise ez" egoes, and such...WHATEVER...but your attrition rate sucks and it CANNOT be allowed to continue! On thr other hand, I HATE the mindset of today's athletes...so easilty offended, generally selfish and blaming others for everything, and SO gullible! Just look at TODAY'S (or maybe this weekend's) news...transfers off (or news about the history of such) every major Cyclone sports team...its depressing as a fan and as an alum. Moreover, these kids are almost NEVER really truly helping themselves in the long run with these sorts of decisions! In the end, being a Cyclone athlete is a PRIVELEGE...not some sort of grueling burden or punishment...SO - thank you ALL of you fantastic sthletes who DO have great attitudes and DO cherish playing for IOWA STATE. I, for one, would LOVE to have YOUR opportunity! And, GO CYCLONES!

• Disagree
Reactions: simply1

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The UConn coach lets the bruise-ez players go. It's happened numerous times. For those of you that don't like Coach Fen's style...stop going to the games. If you took the time to watch some of the big time coaches you'd realize they aren't much different than Fen. They yell, they cajole, they work their tails off. One thing you may not see in other programs is the commitment given back to those women and the utter devotion that is returned to him.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I guessed something was coming just from being a spectator. If the coaching staff can't figure it out when they are right there with the team day in and day out, there is a problem. All you have to do is read my rare posts that I have made this season. They have been practically everyone about Bree. I haven't been posting much frankly because I am fed up with the coaching. I have respect for so many things about Bill's job here at ISU. But the last five years I have become increasingly disillusioned. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't say enough about the potential that Bree brought to ISU. I realize that she didn't fit Bill's style, but there is something to the ability to adjust to your talent, or recruit people that will fit your style of game.

I am not sure I can agree with your assertion that the coaches had to know what was going on with Fernstrom. First, we have no idea how long she was unhappy, or contemplating leaving, because we do not know why she left. Second, anyone who has been in a management position knows that people can be disgruntled and not show it - and not discuss it publicly. Such people are professional about their jobs and are not disruptive. They just quietly go about their jobs, looking for a better situation and then announce it when they are ready to leave. Many times, it is the whiners and complainers who you know are unhappy but regrettably, they don't seem to want to leave.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The UConn coach lets the bruise-ez players go. It's happened numerous times. For those of you that don't like Coach Fen's style...stop going to the games. If you took the time to watch some of the big time coaches you'd realize they aren't much different than Fen. They yell, they cajole, they work their tails off. One thing you may not see in other programs is the commitment given back to those women and the utter devotion that is returned to him.
Oh please. You don't have to idolize Bill Fennelly to be considered an Iowa State women's bball fan, and go to the games, and cheer the players. He's employed as the head coach. He doesn't own the program. I grow weary of the "control freak" comments like this.

Last edited:

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
If this IS the case, then I don't care HOW "experienced" you are (BF)...you gotta knock it off! Study how the UCONN coach handles the "bruise ez" egoes, and such...WHATEVER...but your attrition rate sucks and it CANNOT be allowed to continue! On thr other hand, I HATE the mindset of today's athletes...so easilty offended, generally selfish and blaming others for everything, and SO gullible! Just look at TODAY'S (or maybe this weekend's) news...transfers off (or news about the history of such) every major Cyclone sports team...its depressing as a fan and as an alum. Moreover, these kids are almost NEVER really truly helping themselves in the long run with these sorts of decisions! In the end, being a Cyclone athlete is a PRIVELEGE...not some sort of grueling burden or punishment...SO - thank you ALL of you fantastic sthletes who DO have great attitudes and DO cherish playing for IOWA STATE. I, for one, would LOVE to have YOUR opportunity! And, GO CYCLONES!

What an exciting way to type. :jimlad:

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
If you saw untapped potential in Bree, you know a hell of a lot more about basketball than i do. She might have been the slowest reacting center I have seen on a BF team. My problem with BF is recruiting her. She could run up and down the floor pretty well for a big girl, but her reactions, lateral movement, and quickness waswere not good.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
A big problem for me in this episode is the timing of the transfer. If you want to quit and transfer, do it in the off season. We don't want you here if you don't want to be here. However, transferring in mid-season is QUITTING and indicates you are more concerned with yourself than your teammates and letting them down.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
If you saw untapped potential in Bree, you know a hell of a lot more about basketball than i do. She might have been the slowest reacting center I have seen on a BF team. My problem with BF is recruiting her. She could run up and down the floor pretty well for a big girl, but her reactions, lateral movement, and quickness waswere not good.
I saw untapped potential in Bree, as I have seen in many center type players at ISU. I also saw potential realized that appeared totally unnoticed by the coaching staff. Look at Bree's statistics at ISU, which of course are not on the website anymore. I was following them early in the year, she had increased her rebounding greatly over the previous year, and her defense was by far the best of the centers on ISU. However her minutes never reflected that because the coaching seemed oblivious to it. You also were oblivious to it. She constantly altered shots under in the paint, which caused very little scoring in the paint. Yet she would have games like at Texas where she only played 10 minutes. I do not say she didn't make mistakes, however it seemed like she sat more for her mistakes than the other players which made no basketball sense. I could see in her facial expressions as she sat on the bench that she was not happy. This drove me crazy because a player like that, if I were coach, I would have made sure she was happy and motivated, not only told what she was doing wrong, but being praised and rewarded for what she was doing right. I cannot prove that this did not happen, but I suspect it was not, and I ask for the coaching staff's forgiveness if it was happening and often. Her size and strength gave her advantages over other players, but those same attributes caused her not move quite as fast as some people. You need to accept strengths and weaknesses in players and coach to that. I believe that Bree's strengths were far greater than here weaknesses.

What I am saying means no disrespect to the other players on the team. I really like the other players.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Sorry, I read it on here and just took it for granted. I really haven't thought of it as a vendetta however, from the posts I suspected it was a matter of policy. I think you are trying to read into my words that which is not there. Are you seeing shadows?

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Sorry, I read it on here and just took it for granted. I really haven't thought of it as a vendetta however, from the posts I suspected it was a matter of policy. I think you are trying to read into my words that which is not there. Are you seeing shadows?

Never take anything on the internet for granted:wink:

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I agree. The whole proposition was ridiculous. It is pretty hard to strike out game statistics on short notice. I should have paid closer attention.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Actually, they are. Still no vendetta by the AD, no matter how hard people try to create one.

Think the confusion was when the roster delete included this year and last year. I just assumed it was a programming web admin wonk mistake since you could still reach her bio via google, just was not linked anymore. That has since been fixed and she is on the "history" roster for last year.

BTW, keeping the old rosters and past years stats up is handy and I like being able to look back through them.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
One of the most "what????" type of statements I've seen in a while.
I will clarify it for you. When have we had a post player that actually improved dramatically on their offensive post moves? I do agree that they develop decent post defense here at ISU but for some reason players with large offensive post potential like Anna Prins never develop. They come known for their ability to shoot the three, and leave the same way.

The second part I explained, they never seemed to notice that Bree was doing extremely well on defense, and rebounding the ball well, and when she didn't rebound she often tipped the ball to other players.

Again, I say, I cannot prove that she wasn't getting complimented and rewarded for doing these things, but it didn't appear to be happening. That was certainly evident in her minutes, and lastly in pulling her from the starting lineup. I will just have to disagree philosophically with anyone who says she wasn't one of our top five players. I could probably close to prove it by stats, but stats don't tell everything. Her blocked shots were astonishing.

I think if anyone wants to actually continue this conversation rationally rather that just attempt to insult my clarity, I could continue. Otherwise, I have said what I want, and I will bow out. I am sure that I will make those who would rather not have people voice their true opinions happy.

Last edited: