WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Minnesota starts school a week later so do not be surprised to see her there within the week. If that is the case guessing may have been a little whispering being done to make the arrangements before she notified the staff. If that was the case she has had one foot out the door for some time.

It might explain why she missed so many free throws vs KU on Saturday. Thinking about leaving would be a bit of a distraction. Yet, her post-game comments on the radio sure sounded like she was still "with" the team, talking about what she needs to do, about working with Mere in practice to help her learn plays and gain confidence, etc.

For her sake, I hope everything is okay. College students deal with a lot of pressure, not just as student-athletes and from coaches and fans. So hopefully she works out whatever her issues are. Because frankly, she must be dealing with some tough stuff to let her teammates down in the middle of the season. That part is hard to understand. The team itself has appeared to be a "fun" team with lots of camaraderie.

That said, we have seen players from the top 2 teams in the country announce they are transferring, 1 from UConn and 2 from South Carolina. And yes, Iowa has also had players transfer recently. So yes, it is happening with more frequency on women's teams now than it used to. ISU is not seeing it to a significantly greater extent IMO. But with fewer players on the roster, it can have a big impact on the program.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Whether this would have made a difference in Fernstrom's decision, I was impressed to read this about Alabama football. Maybe ISU teams, including wbb, should consider such workshops.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nick-saban-college-football-playoff/78344398/

Beginning last spring and continuing over several months, Alabama engaged in a series of workshops focused on four pillars of interpersonal relations and team dynamics: effective communication, relationship building, critical thinking and problem solving. Many Alabama players and coaches credit the sessions with strengthening the bonds and teaching processes on the team. It gave us information about our players and gave Coach (Nick Saban) information about his coaches that says, this is how these guys think, this is how they work,” said Lane Kiffin, the Crimson Tide’s offensive coordinator. “It helps you manage, work with them, motivate them better, because everybody’s different.”

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
What year was she?

Went to Iowa State roster and she is already removed and not in 14-15 roster either

I could see them deleting her from this year but last year too is pretty petty.

She and Kidd were the postgame players on the CyTv video KU postgame. Basically Kidd did most of the talking while Bry just stared off into space like a zombie.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I could see them deleting her from this year but last year too is pretty petty.

It's not petty at all. Deleting a player from the roster deletes them from the system. If they played more than one year, they disappear from those years, too.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That said, we have seen players from the top 2 teams in the country announce they are transferring, 1 from UConn and 2 from South Carolina. And yes, Iowa has also had players transfer recently. So yes, it is happening with more frequency on women's teams now than it used to. ISU is not seeing it to a significantly greater extent IMO. But with fewer players on the roster, it can have a big impact on the program.
Thanks for your insight cydney, The point I would like to add was those teams lose players yes but one that was fourth in scoring, at near double digits, and a top shot blocker and often a starter?

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for your insight cydney, The point I would like to add was those teams lose players yes but one that was fourth in scoring, at near double digits, and a top shot blocker and often a starter?

All types of players transfer from all types of teams. Good players transfer from good teams (or at least highly reputable programs).

Here are a few recent examples that were easy to check on. I didn't look very hard.

Caron-Goudreau, Vanderbilt to Texas http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5986&path=wbball
Other than injury, playing-time-wise and talent-wise, she was on track at Vandy.

Kyley Simmons, Missouri to Illinois http://www.fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4696&path=wbball
A top player at Mizzou, all kinds of accolades and minutes, for a coach who is very highly regarded (Pingeton)
Illinois also received other incoming transfers at a time when their program has been somewhat of a mess (hard to figure).

Alexis Jones, Duke to Baylor http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alexis_jones_909323.html

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Here's another article about the recent UConn transfer that also mentions a high profile transfer from Kentucky to Ohio State.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/12/15/10227068/uconn-dejanae-boykin-transfer (12/15/15)
Around this time every year, there's always a good number of players that are considering leaving a program, or have already made that decision. Earlier this week, ex-Kentucky star Linnae Harper decided to transfer to Ohio State. And according to reports, UConn freshman De'Janae Boykin has decided to transfer from the Huskies.
Here is some of the report in the Hartford Courant:
Freshman forward De'Janae Boykin has decided to transfer from the University of Connecticut women's basketball program, as announced by head coach Geno Auriemma on Tuesday.

It's true the recent UConn and USC transfers did not get many minutes. But that's not always true.

Speaking of Ohio State, go look at their roster.
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/osu-w-baskbl-mtt.html
McGuff must be the Fred Hoiberg of WBB.

Last edited:

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I think we are missing an obvious reason to her leaving. Maybe she is just burnt out. Something was off with the whole team on Saturday but really with Bry. Some people after years of spending all their time and effort into something lose the reason why they did in the first place. Maybe this has been a long time coming. I wish her nothing but the best.

As for all the talk about Bill and playing favorites, etc... He has been talking about this year's team being different and really having fun and fun to coach. I haven't heard that in a while. Last year was a tough group with strong personalities. With him speaking about moving on with the players that they have. What else is he supposed to say? Sit is self-pity? That would be a slap to the current players. He needs to keep motivating because they not only lost a teammate but also a friend.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Well Bill just said on the Applebee's show that she wanted to transfer to another school and will most likely be announced where next week. He said the meeting lasted about 4 minutes.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well Bill just said on the Applebee's show that she wanted to transfer to another school and will most likely be announced where next week. He said the meeting lasted about 4 minutes.
That's a little different than how he lead off his press conference.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

As someone said, if she has transfer plans in place already, then she's been thinking about this. And apparently not talking about it to the coaches if they are being forthright. It would kind of downward spiral from there. Whether her heart wasn't in it to begin with, or whether something in the program took it out of her, once she starts thinking of transferring, it would be hard to practice or play all out. Then coach gets tougher on you, and then your transfer thoughts get stronger, and then check out even more, and then you get coached even harder. And the end result is a quick meeting to say you're done.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
I am guessing she is transfering to Winona State University. This is just a complete stab in the dark, but I'll take cred when it happens.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Obviously a shock to the coaching staff for this to happen. There were no hints showing this was coming. No one should blame the coaches or anything else until any information actually comes forth...and I would guess that won't happen.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The look on her face after being yanked (and refusing to make eye contact with him) the last few games. The way she would be screamed at in the huddle. Very similar to the Jessica Schroll situation. It's referred to on this board as BF's "style."

one word...NO
No similarity to the Schroll situation at all.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Not buying the coaching demeanor argument; Bill's treatment of his players is no secret; all you have to do is watch a single game on TV, or attend one game, or talk to former players and recruits will know what they are getting into. I am neither supporting nor criticizing his methods. I just doubt it is a reason.

Speculation apparently is fun for some posters. But when it speaks to the morality of the candidate, or very personal aspects of their lives, I think that is overboard. The woman is transferring out. She deserves to be treated with dignity. She did not crap on Bill or the Cyclones or ISU. So she deserves to be treated as she has treated the program.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Maybe. I would guess it's one thing to be told that while sitting on your parent's living room, but completely different when you are regularly belittled and sworn at.

Give it a rest. If you knew anything about recruiting you'd know these kids see practices and real games and know exactly what Coach Fenn is like. They know how things are done at Iowa State. Your animosity is showing through.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron