WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So, back to less titillating speculation. I wonder if she is enrolling somewhere this semester or staying at ISU and transferring this summer or just sitting out the semester both academically and athletically.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I called this last season when BF's dislike for Fernstrom was obviously apparent. He even made fun of her attitude in a post game comment. Then this season with his obviously favoritism towards Burkhall was demonstrated. This makes life much tougher for the squad and our chances of not making the big dance a real possibility. I wish Bre weill and hope she lands with a coach that will appreciate her more than obviously our staff did.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The baseless speculation in this thread needs to stop. Show at least a little class.

Without speculating, its very interesting that her twitter is full of retweets and ISU support just as of 36 hours before Coach made the announcement. It's very odd to say the least time wise.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Here's the deal, recruits and recruits parents know Bill is hard on these kids. They know that when they committ. Trisha Nesbitt, who is from Ames and family is big ISU fans went to Iowa because she knew Bill was tough and didn't want to be coached that way. I respect that. These kids know what they are getting into.

The ISU staff did not recruit or offer Trish Nesbitt.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I called this last season when BF's dislike for Fernstrom was obviously apparent. He even made fun of her attitude in a post game comment. Then this season with his obviously favoritism towards Burkhall was demonstrated. This makes life much tougher for the squad and our chances of not making the big dance a real possibility. I wish Bre weill and hope she lands with a coach that will appreciate her more than obviously our staff did.

I have not seen any favoritism towards Mere this season. Where have you seen it? Mere was outplaying Bry earlier this season and BF commented that she should probably be starting but he never started her. Bry was averaging 21 minutes a game - that is up from last year. Mere gets pulled awfully quick after making a mistake.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have not seen any favoritism towards Mere this season. Where have you seen it? Mere was outplaying Bry earlier this season and BF commented that she should probably be starting but he never started her. Bry was averaging 21 minutes a game - that is up from last year. Mere gets pulled awfully quick after making a mistake.

I don't think it was on minutes played. I could make perfect sense of the minutes they both got since it seemed it did relate to how they were playing at the time. I really liked having both of them as options depending on match-ups and who was playing well that game. Verbally though Bill just seemed to go on and on about what a great person Mere is and what a good player she would be and rarely mentioned Fernstrom at all. He also tossed out backhanded compliments to Durr and Claire. Mere, Johnson, Carleton and Kidd are on the all praise all the time list. Some of the others, nothing.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
What year was she?

Went to Iowa State roster and she is already removed and not in 14-15 roster either

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
So, back to less titillating speculation. I wonder if she is enrolling somewhere this semester or staying at ISU and transferring this summer or just sitting out the semester both academically and athletically.

My guess is she sits this semester out academically, since she'd have to pay for it (and at out-of-state rates).

She'll be able to play starting 2nd semester next year at her new school, although like Bowe she may redshirt the whole season. She can either play 2nd half of 16-17 plus all of 17-18, or all of both 17-18 and 18-19. I'm assuming that, since she hasn't played or practiced since the semester started, she is not considered to be part of the team this semester.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
My guess is she sits this semester out academically, since she'd have to pay for it (and at out-of-state rates).

She'll be able to play starting 2nd semester next year at her new school, although like Bowe she may redshirt the whole season. She can either play 2nd half of 16-17 plus all of 17-18, or all of both 17-18 and 18-19. I'm assuming that, since she hasn't played or practiced since the semester started, she is not considered to be part of the team this semester.

Minnesota starts school a week later so do not be surprised to see her there within the week. If that is the case guessing may have been a little whispering being done to make the arrangements before she notified the staff. If that was the case she has had one foot out the door for some time.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
This is an isu AD thing. They purge the records basically immediately.

On on a side note, this makes two years in a row that my daughter went to isu camp and 2 in a row that here group leader leaves.

So it's your fault...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Minnesota starts school a week later so do not be surprised to see her there within the week. If that is the case guessing may have been a little whispering being done to make the arrangements before she notified the staff. If that was the case she has had one foot out the door for some time.

Not sure how well she fits in with Stollings' run and gun style now that I have thought a little more about it. She really emphasizes fitness and a go, go, go style. That's really not Fernstrom's strong suit.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Next time I watch the Oakland men's team, I will conjure up the speculation from this thread for reasons that Percy and Dorsey-Walker left. :jimlad:

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I heard just that little snip it of CBF saying that they are releasing Bre and he was ready to blow his stack. Seriously he needs to evaluate himself. If is fair for him to say to say "play the Iowa State way", shouldn't he then COACH the Iowa State way?

Help Support Us

Become a patron