WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Whoa there. She did well when playing against similar big slow moving non athletic centers. That was mostly against non conference teams. She was at a serious disadvantage when playing against most big 12 posts. IMO, her play was very inconsistent. She needed to be pushed.
Speedy 6'5" athletes do not come to Iowa State. I am more impressed by Fernstrom than I was Prins. Bry had some decent shots and blocking with some advantage being left-handed. Her record scoring as a Frosh and near record triple double were against lower competition but as a Sophmore she should have been given some credit to grow. Can't say I know why she is leaving but I have my beliefs.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
Here's the deal, recruits and recruits parents know Bill is hard on these kids. They know that when they committ. Trisha Nesbitt, who is from Ames and family is big ISU fans went to Iowa because she knew Bill was tough and didn't want to be coached that way. I respect that. These kids know what they are getting into.

Reactions: riceville98

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
This is a HUGE loss for the rest of the season. Mere is going to be really good but she is definitely not there yet. Claire looks OK out there but definitely not Big 12 OK. He has not given Jordan a chance since she stepped foot on Campus.

He has consistently been very hard on the posts this season. While they have not been great.... the guards have not exactly been lighting the world on fire either.

I guess her not getting the start this last game was the straw that broke the camel's back?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not surprised by the decision at all. The timing - yes.

Big yes on the timing since it's after the semester break. Guess this was one of those final straw things. And right after she has a double/double game.

I would have guessed Durr to be this years defection.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I think you are wrong. Transfers are not just happening to Iowa State, they are happening at most top schools. Who cares about the Hawks!
They may happen at most schools but WE are in the top 20% of turnover by my estimation. For a great school and great program how is it we can sign a recruit and fail to retain them? If by top program you mean top 10, or even 25 ranking, or win the league or advance to the Elite Eight and beyond - I question that. The Hawkeyes will have an advantage if we look less appealing.

Last edited:

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Big yes on the timing since it's after the semester break. Guess this was one of those final straw things. And right after she has a double/double game.

I would have guessed Durr to be this years defection.

I am actually pretty surprised the Emily is still here. I am glad that she is here. I can really see the positives in her game. I too wish that she was getting more time. I do think she is a lock to start next season with Kidd's departure though.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They may happen at most schools but WE are in the top 20% of turnover by my estimation. For a great school and great program how is it we can sign a recruit and fail to retain them? If by top you mean top 10, or even 25, or win the league of advanced to to the Elite Eight and beyond - I question that. The Hawkeyes will have an advantage if we look less appealing.

by your estimation? That sounds like ********. Do you really follow wbb enough to have any clue?

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
one did several years ago. Katie robinette Koch. She redshirted and then came back the next year. The father was a football player. I believe Ryan Koch.

Katie Robinette
Junior (2003-04)

Sat out the fall semester after giving birth to her son Caden Thomas, Oct. 23 ... returned to the Cyclone lineup Dec. 21 vs. Washington ... got her first start vs. No. 15 Oklahoma ... started nine games ... had an outstanding game against No. 2/1 Texas Tech, recording 18 points and five rebounds in 23 minutes ... drained 6-of-9 field goals and all six free-throw tries against the Lady Raiders ... scored 20 of ISU’s 33 total points at Kansas State, an ISU career best ... had 13 points, five rebounds and two blocks against Missouri ... had 12 points in 18 minutes vs. Nebraska ... tallied 11 points, seven rebounds and four blocks against No. 18 Baylor ... posted 11 points, eight rebounds, two blocks and two steals against No. 15 Oklahoma ... recorded eight points and five rebounds at No. 3 Texas ... scored seven points in 12 minutes vs. Eastern Illinois ... recorded six points, four rebounds and three steals against Northern Iowa ... had four points and two rebounds in nine minutes of action vs. No. 23 Washington ... led the Cyclones vs. Kansas State with 12 points.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
IIRC she was suspended because of public intoxication last semester? Probably clashing with CBF's style....

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
They may happen at most schools but WE are in the top 20% of turnover by my estimation. For a great school and great program how is it we can sign a recruit and fail to retain them? If by top you mean top 10, or even 25, or win the league of advanced to to the Elite Eight and beyond - I question that. The Hawkeyes will have an advantage if we look less appealing.

The top 20 percent of 335 teams? So we could be 67th? These are young adults...things happen. They are not always happy and sometimes they change their mind.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Over the last 20 minutes I have gone from disappointed to kinda ******.

Guessing at this time next year the Gophers will have a new post player.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Here's the deal, recruits and recruits parents know Bill is hard on these kids. They know that when they committ. Trisha Nesbitt, who is from Ames and family is big ISU fans went to Iowa because she knew Bill was tough and didn't want to be coached that way. I respect that. These kids know what they are getting into.

she didn't get a scholarship offer from ISU IIRC.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
I am actually pretty surprised the Emily is still here. I am glad that she is here. I can really see the positives in her game. I too wish that she was getting more time. I do think she is a lock to start next season with Kidd's departure though.

Emily seems to be mentally tough. I think her game will keep getting better. Maybe some of Bry's minutes will go her way. I too think she will be a starter next season.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Do I respect Fennelly? Yes. Would I personally want to play for Fennelly? No. He's a hard ***, which some people can handle and some people can't...