WBB: Fernstrom leaving ISU

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
one did several years ago. Katie robinette Koch. She redshirted and then came back the next year. The father was a football player. I believe Ryan Koch.

Thanks. It would be hard to be a full time student, student athlete and new parent. Wow.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
one did several years ago. Katie robinette Koch. She redshirted and then came back the next year. The father was a football player. I believe Ryan Koch.

She actually didn't redshirt, IIRC. I think she gave birth early in the season and came back to play later in the season.

Pregnancy is treated like any other medical issue, so a medical redshirt can be a possibility.

This doesn't have anything to do with this situation, though.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009

The look on her face after being yanked (and refusing to make eye contact with him) the last few games. The way she would be screamed at in the huddle. Very similar to the Jessica Schroll situation. It's referred to on this board as BF's "style."

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Question is will she finish the season or is she done now? I hate to see us lose a very good player like this. It seems that this year all over the country teams are having players leave programs. Many seem to be because of issues with coaches. I hope this is not the reason in this case. As noted in other threads on here (about the women's team) there seems to be some players who are always being pushed while others get a free ride. This comes from both the coaches and fans on here. I have watched people be very critical of players not from Iowa while giving those from the state a pass many times. We lost a player a few years ago who would have made us a much better team had she stayed but got tired of the constant criticism. I wish Bry success where ever she goes.

Just watched the press conference and she is done. BF got tired of the qyestions about what happened.

Last edited:

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
The look on her face after being yanked (and refusing to make eye contact with him) the last few games. The way she would be screamed at in the huddle. Very similar to the Jessica Schroll situation. It's referred to on this board as BF's "style."

I don't feel that this is similar to Jessica Schroll at all. Jessica always gave a complete effort. I think Bry has a lot of potential, but not as much drive. We needed effort every game, not just when things were good from the start. I think sometimes she was checked out. I am sure that the coaches were trying to spark some emotion and it just didn't work.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I don't feel that this is similar to Jessica Schroll at all. Jessica always gave a complete effort.

I'm not happy over this departure, but I was much more POed when Schroll left, because as you said she always seemed to be giving 110% out there. That was my low point when it came to the staff.

DowntownDave

Jun 11, 2010
Ames, Iowa
Wow. Sorry to hear this. The last wbb game I went to (Northern Arizona), she was 1 block away from a triple double. We will miss her, especially against teams with size inside.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
I'm not happy over this departure, but I was much more POed when Schroll left, because as you said she always seemed to be giving 110% out there. That was my low point when it came to the staff.

I could not agree more. I wish Bry was not leaving, but when Jessica left, I too was mad that it had gotten to that point.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The other other two were not big 12 players, Bry was.

Whoa there. She did well when playing against similar big slow moving non athletic centers. That was mostly against non conference teams. She was at a serious disadvantage when playing against most big 12 posts. IMO, her play was very inconsistent. She needed to be pushed.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Souring fast on this "Iowa State Way" bs.This is not a normal rate of attrition, the Hawkeyes have nothing like this. I can not believe Fernstrom was the problem and some very fortunate school will land Bry. Best of luck Bry I am a fan of yours.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Here we go again. You guys say what you want but this is happening all to often with CBF. I know, I know there's information that we don't have but look at the timing of this. I rarely see the man encourage the players only berate them more often than not. And if its them and not him he's recruiting soft players and it is still his problem. I know I'll catch heck for this but oh well, its because I never miss a game, wish them success but its frustrating. End of rant, I just put my hard hat on.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Whoa there. She did well when playing against similar big slow moving non athletic centers. That was mostly against non conference teams. She was at a serious disadvantage when playing against most big 12 posts. IMO, her play was very inconsistent. She needed to be pushed.

10 blocks in the first 4 Big 12 games is not to bad for such a big slow player IMO.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Here we go again. You guys say what you want but this is happening all to often with CBF. I know, I know there's information that we don't have but look at the timing of this. I rarely see the man encourage the players only berate them more often than not. And if its them and not him he's recruiting soft players and it is still his problem. I know I'll catch heck for this but oh well, its because I never miss a game, wish them success but its frustrating. End of rant, I just put my hard hat on.

i think it's a flaw but it's not going to change. And it's not like the team isn't always a very solid one. It's something you've got to live with.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006

I simply meant she had the ability to be a big 12 player. Her defense was a liability at times, but there was potential offensively. I agree she needed a push-- just wish it had come from within.

VaClone

Jun 4, 2006
Souring fast on this "Iowa State Way" bs.This is not a normal rate of attrition, the Hawkeyes have nothing like this. I can not believe Fernstrom was the problem and some very fortunate school will land Bry. Best of luck Bry I am a fan of yours.

I think you are wrong. Transfers are not just happening to Iowa State, they are happening at most top schools. Who cares about the Hawks!