ISU-TU Game being played on loop in Texas Locker Room

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The writer needs to get caught up - it was our FORMER coach who said we should never beat Texas by 24 points. And, for the record, if any ISU FB coach were to ever say that again, they should be fired on the spot!!

Why? It was a perfectly true thing to say and only sounds bad if you take it out of context and twist it. He was talking about how there's no way a team with ISU's recruits should beat a team with Texas's recruits by 24, but celebrating how they did anyway by working harder, etc. I was on the fire Rhoads bandwagon pretty early but there was nothing wrong with that statement.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Emotion should carry them into the 1st TV timeout, after that its execution. Let them watch us over and over again, I love the fact that they suck. I don't expect a win down there but I expect we should be loose playing them and they may be tight and prone to mistakes.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
We play Texas immediately following their game with OU. Other Texas games before we play them are Notre Dame, @Cal & @Oklahoma State. By the time Campbell & Co roll into town Texas football is going to be in a state of anarchy.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Why? It was a perfectly true thing to say and only sounds bad if you take it out of context and twist it. He was talking about how there's no way a team with ISU's recruits should beat a team with Texas's recruits by 24, but celebrating how they did anyway by working harder, etc. I was on the fire Rhoads bandwagon pretty early but there was nothing wrong with that statement.

hard to create a winning culture when coaches are at the podium acting shocked when we win. It was pathetic. CPR single-handed undermined any confidence that win gave us.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
hard to create a winning culture when coaches are at the podium acting shocked when we win. It was pathetic. CPR single-handed undermined any confidence that win gave us.

I don't think the players took it that way. Saying that you (a "have-not") don't have the individual stars that a "have" like Texas has but still fielding the better team should in no way undermine a team's confidence. Telling a team that they have become better than the sum of their parts should also in no way undermine a team's confidence - quite the opposite actually.

This is CF so take any comment and interpret it in the worst way possible at all times...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Btw OP, the way I remember Texas is UT instead of TU is the uterus in their longhorn emblem.:wacko:

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I don't think the players took it that way. Saying that you (a "have-not") don't have the individual stars that a "have" like Texas has but still fielding the better team should in no way undermine a team's confidence. Telling a team that they have become better than the sum of their parts should also in no way undermine a team's confidence - quite the opposite actually.

This is CF so take any comment and interpret it in the worst way possible at all times...

CPR played a big part in our losing culture. Whining about schedules, referee conspiracy theories, side-line freak-outs, acting shocked when we won, etc. all played into it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
CPR played a big part in our losing culture. Whining about schedules, referee conspiracy theories, side-line freak-outs, acting shocked when we won, etc. all played into it.

I have yet to see in that press conference where he acted shocked that ISU won. The problem is that so many people had decided that he needed to go that they interpreted everything he did in a negative way by that point. I am not upset that he had to go but I see no reason to vilify the man. He paid for his failures with his job. I think that is enough.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I have yet to see in that press conference where he acted shocked that ISU won. The problem is that so many people had decided that he needed to go that they interpreted everything he did in a negative way by that point. I am not upset that he had to go but I see no reason to vilify the man. He paid for his failures with his job. I think that is enough.

Well, technically, he got paid.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's not really about whether Rhoads' statement after the win was true. It shouldn't have been said and sounded like a man desperate for his job. For me personally, that was the moment it turned, which after that win, should have been the exact opposite.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's not really about whether Rhoads' statement after the win was true. It shouldn't have been said and sounded like a man desperate for his job. For me personally, that was the moment it turned, which after that win, should have been the exact opposite.

Her-eyes-almost-roll-up-her-hat.gif

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We play Texas immediately following their game with OU. Other Texas games before we play them are Notre Dame, @Cal & @Oklahoma State. By the time Campbell & Co roll into town Texas football is going to be in a state of anarchy.

Our W over them may likely be Strong's last game at Texa$ . . .

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Why, because it's the truth?
I respect your opinion. But, while the statement may be quite truthful, as the leader of your team, you DON'T say that in public, imho. You want to develop a winner's mentality?, then don't make comments that could take away from your team's success - or plant doubt in the minds of the players. History is replete with the Top Dog being taken down by the underdog (sometimes by HUGE margins) - so why would you use the word "NEVER?" That is what peeved me about the statement & it would peeve me if CMC were to ever claim that we should NEVER beat Texas by 24.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I respect your opinion. But, while the statement may be quite truthful, as the leader of your team, you DON'T say that in public, imho. You want to develop a winner's mentality?, then don't make comments that could take away from your team's success - or plant doubt in the minds of the players. History is replete with the Top Dog being taken down by the underdog (sometimes by HUGE margins) - so why would you use the word "NEVER?" That is what peeved me about the statement & it would peeve me if CMC were to ever claim that we should NEVER beat Texas by 24.

Here is the quote...

“I don’t know how this comes across,” Rhoads said. “But, I’ll say this anyway. We shouldn’t beat Texas, probably. Every kid that they recruit, if I go recruit them, I’m not going to get them. I’m not going to get them. OK? But, we did and we have twice because the program’s moving in the right direction.”

IMO, he did nothing to **** on the mentality of the team, in fact, its quite the opposite. He essentially says how hard it is to recruit against the giant that is Texas, meaning we undoubtedly have lesser talented players, and we still go toe to toe with them, because our program knows how to win (even though I disagree with that 100%).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron