Lanning

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
I think the whole offense stunk. Holding penalties, we didn't control the ball and open holes for Warren,missing people due to injury or suspension. We just looked out of sync. Wasn't there the one play where our back ran into his teammate?

That has happened multiple times in the last few years

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think tonight showed that he doesn't have it mentally to be the QB. He made some great throws but also some of the most boneheaded plays too.

The last interception sealed it for me. There is absolutely no excuse for that one.

Again I think the way he was instructed to play caused those errors. For example the final interception he's running that last year. I just don't get the fetish that some coaches have for taking the legs away from a running QB.

Also side note: I'd much rather have Lanning at LB this year. Joe Montana 1989 isn't doing jack **** with this o line either.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Joel showed that he has the physical ability to play. He had a lot of nice throws tonight. The issue was between the ears. That can be fixed for some guys. I'd like to see what he can do to improve from week 1 to 2 before benching him. But Park should be thought of as an option if Joel can't stop making poor decisions.
Pretty much agree. In high school Joel could tuck the ball and run over people when he was under pressure. There may have been mis-communication on the pass intended for Ryan but that throw can't be made if the receiver isn't wide open when you're protecting the lead late in the game. Joel has the physical tools but he has to show he can make smart decisions, and soon.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Uni's a tough team. Just have to wonder what's changed from last year.
We should be better than last year and so should they, unfortunately we are not at this point. Too many mistakes. New coach new system and more youth than expected so more mistakes. They will get better. We need a QB that knows how to win an ugly game though.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Again I think the way he was instructed to play caused those errors. For example the final interception he's running that last year. I just don't get the fetish that some coaches have for taking the legs away from a running QB.

Also side note: I'd much rather have Lanning at LB this year. Joe Montana 1989 isn't doing jack **** with this o line either.
Hopefully he can but I just don't think he can.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
So say Park does get in the game at some point. His first pass attempt is picked off. Who plays quarterback after that? We gonna toss Zeb Nolland out there on one leg? Or does 1 of the 2 remaining walk-on QBs get in the game? Maybe we can bring back Seneca or Sage? You can't bench a guy for throwing an interception in the first game. Maybe if we're 4 or 5 games in and haven't seen progress you can all lose your minds, but one game (final 5 minutes) doesn't define a guys career.

If there's no progress made by the end of the San Jose game, sure give Park some meaningful snaps. But before then is too soon imo. A guy can't get any confidence when so-called "fans" want him benched after a bad final 5 minutes of the 1st game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
UNI pressed the line of scrimmage and dared ISU to beat them downfield. ISU had open receivers, but Lanning just couldn't complete the throws to make UNI pay. Every opponent will do the same thing until the ISU QB can make their defense pay for pressing the line. Given the newness of the offense line, I don't think they are ready for a smashmouth style of play where they can run over an opponent who is setting up to stop the run.

ISU needs a credible downfield passer to stop the opponent from pressing the line. That doesn't seem to be something that Lanning does.

Last edited:

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
UNI pressed the line of scrimmage and dared ISU to beat them downfield. ISU had open receivers, but Lanning just couldn't complete the throws to make UNI pay. Every opponent will do the same thing until the ISU QB can make their defense pay for pressing the line. Given the newness of the offense line, I don think they are ready for a smashmouth style of play where they can run over an opponent who is setting up to stop the run.

ISU needs a credible downfield passer to stop the opponent from pressing the line. That doesn't seem to be something that Lanning does.

You mean like the 3 long touchdown passes that Lanning threw? That we haven't seen from a QB here in years?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You mean like the 3 long touchdown passes that Lanning threw? That we haven't seen from a QB here in years?

18 yards is a long TD pass now? I was thinking about the three open receivers he missed on downfield passes that likely would have gone for (near) touchdowns.

Anyway, the defense alignment told you the story. And, if you were lucky enough to get a stream from Cyclones.tv, Rosenfels mentioned several times that ISU has to complete those downfield passes. To be fair, there were two notable drops that I remember.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and GTO

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Twice Lanning missed Ryen when he had a few steps on the defender. The first time it happened, the result should have led to a TD and a 2 TD lead. The QB isn't the only issue for why we lost Saturday, but it played a significant part, imo. It makes me wonder if part of the problem (especially the head-scratching, late-game interceptions), has to do with the "loser/panic" mentality of the past 3 years. I'm not calling for Park to start - BUT, I think Campbell needs to have a short leash with Joel. I appreciate JL's elite leadership, but he needs to start demonstrating elite decision-making ASAP, or "next man in."

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Twice Lanning missed Ryen when he had a few steps on the defender. The first time it happened, the result should have led to a TD and a 2 TD lead. The QB isn't the only issue for why we lost Saturday, but it played a significant part, imo. It makes me wonder if part of the problem (especially the head-scratching, late-game interceptions), has to do with the "loser/panic" mentality of the past 3 years. I'm not calling for Park to start - BUT, I think Campbell needs to have a short leash with Joel. I appreciate JL's elite leadership, but he needs to start demonstrating elite decision-making ASAP, or "next man in."
The one pass ryen didn't get was catchable. A wr at least has to lay out and attempt to make a reception.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
We should be better than last year and so should they, unfortunately we are not at this point. Too many mistakes. New coach new system and more youth than expected so more mistakes. They will get better. We need a QB that knows how to win an ugly game though.
Here the hype convinced me that we would put out an average rock solid product. We looked like the keystone cops. i

• Agree
Reactions: IAStubborn

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Unless I remember it wrong, he said it after a game last year.

"Where I come from, they call it Ankeny tough."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...oel-lanning-embraces-chance-get-hit/75082232/

In fairness, the quote was CPR talking about Lanning. Lanning never said it about himself.

He was never a promising QB. I've watched him since he was in middle school. There's a reason the other teams that offered him did so at other positions.

- Lanning's backup QB in high school . . . :cool:

Fumbled snap, easy fix.
Safety - OLine couldn't block anyone.
Miscommunication with Trevor Ryen on the first INT, easy fix.
Final INT was bad but it gets hectic during desperation time.

So overall, I would say the last INT was the only "inexcusable" turnover. Before the final 2 drives, he was 17-25 for 235 yards and 3 TDs. Don't forget the first 3 1/2 quarters when judging someones performance.

The safety was on him -- he retreated about 7-10 yards into the end zone instead of just taking the sack on the 5 yard line. Even Sage said he needed more situational awareness ... he was explicitly saying a punt is not a bad thing here, don't do anything stupid. I'm not ready to bench Lanning quite yet, but he does need to get it together soon or be benched al la Jantz.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
18 yards is a long TD pass now? I was thinking about the three open receivers he missed on downfield passes that likely would have gone for (near) touchdowns.

Anyway, the defense alignment told you the story. And, if you were lucky enough to get a stream from Cyclones.tv, Rosenfels mentioned several times that ISU has to complete those downfield passes. To be fair, there were two notable drops that I remember.

You mean the rest of your post was not fair?

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I expected better passing after a year and better coaching of the qb from the staff. He panicked....

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
What really would have helped Lanning in this game is an offensive line that could open up some freaking holes in the running game.

Can't for the life of me figure out how UNI (even with our attrition) can consistently have better play in the trenches than ISU. Just flat out embarrassing. Our 300 pound lineman get completely dominated by their 260 pound guys regularly.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron