Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
really focusing on protein has helped me with this. I try to eat my ideal body weight in protein, which is almost 150 grams per day. That is not easy so when it comes to a snack, I always try to focus on things like greek yogurt or cottage cheese for snacks. Same thing with water and fiber.
I know this comes off as insensitive but it can almost be hard to eat at a surplus if you're focused on hitting your protein and fiber goals while drinking a ton of water. Most people just starve themselves all day until they inevitably break down amd have "just a little bit" of whatever. Those cravings are nearly eliminated when you hit those other marks.

Those are 3 simple goals rooted in positive thinking that can make almost anyone feel/function better.

Mar 21, 2021
I know this comes off as insensitive but it can almost be hard to eat at a surplus if you're focused on hitting your protein and fiber goals while drinking a ton of water. Most people just starve themselves all day until they inevitably break down amd have "just a little bit" of whatever. Those cravings are nearly eliminated when you hit those other marks.

Those are 3 simple goals rooted in positive thinking that can make almost anyone feel/function better.
This too may come off as insensitive and/or offensive, esp. if you are one who seeks to consume fiber.

A primer on dietary fiber by a briliiant Brit doc:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Two of my favorite fitness/nutrition follows on Instagram are:

Jordan Syatt -- breaks down some of the BS out there in fitness culture and provides good tips and reminders

Zach Coen -- registered dietician who provides real nutrition insight. I actually pay for his Patreon ($5/month) so I can have access to his weekly recipes, all of which are within the diabetic standards AND are delicious.
Syatt is a really good follow for straight forward advice that 99% of people should be following. Great for people that are just starting out or feel overwhelmed by fitness and nutrition

Reactions: MJ29 and ScottyP

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
For the most part my diet is pretty good. Recently diagnosed with Celiac, so that has cut down on my cheap beer after work habit (so sad, because I love a cold PBR, or some other cheap beer, after work). My recent diagnoses has helped me evaluate some things. I am not a sugary snack person generally speaking. Sure I will eat some, but not a lot. I don't drink soda regularly, maybe one a week but that is mostly a whiskey delivery mechanism, and I never sweeten my coffee or tea.

My bad habit is salty crunchy snacks. Potato chips, tortilla chips, pretzels...love 'em all. For Christmas I bought 75 pounds (not a typo) of salted in shell peanuts and found those to be the perfect snack. They fill me up, has a lot of fiber and protein, and just kinda fun to eat. I also try to eat a lot of vegetables. My go to is buying frozen stir fry veggie mix from the grocery store, heat some oil in a pan, throw in the veggies to give them a bit of a char (I like the char) with whatever spices I want, and maybe some meat. Great meal and really filling (that was today's lunch as a matter of fact).

Something is working because I am lighter now than I was in high school. I gotta get my head around some of the other issues, and come to terms that I am getting older and can't do everything anymore. I appreciate the feedback.

I assume you are male but you mention Celiac's along with brain fog. I'd highly suggest getting an iron test done. Not just available iron, specifically get your ferritin done. Speaking as someone still building up my iron after testing barely double digits, the brain fog is so real. The test with my average to below average was $2 and it's easy to correct (though it takes months).

1715866885984.png

• Agree
Reactions: BigTurk

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
This too may come off as insensitive and/or offensive, esp. if you are one who seeks to consume fiber.

A primer on dietary fiber by a briliiant Brit doc:

I'll give this a listen. I think that we probably have fundamentally different opinions on nutrition. That's OK. I still like to learn.

Reactions: 2122

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
For those that do strength training/weight lifting, are there any apps you use to track weight/sets/reps?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
How effective have people been keeping weight off when they go off the drug? I ask because I have known several people who have had lap band/gastric bypass and both did not keep the weight off. Are people just signing up for a lifetime prescription to keep the weight off?

I know someone who did lap band and is now on ozempic.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Seems like this is the thread for this. Italian study suggests that way more middle aged people are obese than previously thought.
BBC BMI Article

Knowing that BMI is a pretty blunt tool, they look at BMI obesity levels vs actual based on body fat %. What's interesting is they find body fat %s indicate a much higher amount of obese people than BMI suggests, based on actual body fat % (where they set the threshhold at 40% for women and 28% for men).
Just 38% of the men and 41% of the women had a BMI above 30 - but when their body fat percentage was calculated using scans, 71% and 64% were found to be obese.
So they recommend that the BMI start going to 27 for obese instead of 30.

But that would make me obese at 6'1" and 215 lbs, even though my body fat is around 24%. My takeaway is that BMI, though simple, is just about worthless.

Why they don't just use waist circumference, which is even easier to use than BMI, is beyond me.
The current screening criteria for obesity is a combination of BMI (>30) and waist circumference (>40in). Its important to note this is true waist circumference, measured just below the navel, and not pant waist size. Most guys wear their pants well below their waist and underneath their belly. The belly should be included in the waist circumference. Using those two combined, doctors effectively identify like 95% of people who have too much body fat without catching the tiny number of people who are just really jacked.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For those that do strength training/weight lifting, are there any apps you use to track weight/sets/reps?
I use the free tracker on the Reactive Training Systems. You have to create a free account, but the RTS folks are where it's at if you're looking for strength training. They have a ton of free content available through their Instagram, and each of their coaches put out tons of free content too. They do offer coaching and programming if that's what you're looking for.

Reactions: ScottyP

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I participated in the Garage Gym Competition today, an at-home powerlifting competition. It's a fun way to "compete" in a low pressure, familiar environment (and it's free with awesome prizes). Just record your lifts and post them on a social media channel where they can view it. Then fill.iut the submission form. You can do whatever lifts you're comfortable with, using any equipment and supportive gear you have. There aren't really any rules other than submit a video and form. I did a lot better than I expected based on the week of workouts leading up to it.

Age 43
Bodyweight 274lbs
Squat 425lbs
Bench 270lbs
Deadlift 435lbs
Total 1,130lbs

That's not enough to win anything anywhere official, but the GGC prizes are lottery style for all participants. This is the third one I've done; my total today was 65lbs higher than at the November competition.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I participated in the Garage Gym Competition today, an at-home powerlifting competition. It's a fun way to "compete" in a low pressure, familiar environment (and it's free with awesome prizes). Just record your lifts and post them on a social media channel where they can view it. Then fill.iut the submission form. You can do whatever lifts you're comfortable with, using any equipment and supportive gear you have. There aren't really any rules other than submit a video and form. I did a lot better than I expected based on the week of workouts leading up to it.

Age 43
Bodyweight 274lbs
Squat 425lbs
Bench 270lbs
Deadlift 435lbs
Total 1,130lbs

That's not enough to win anything anywhere official, but the GGC prizes are lottery style for all participants. This is the third one I've done; my total today was 65lbs higher than at the November competition.
Really, really close to benching your weight...congrats.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I measured my waist for the first time in a couple of months. I've only lost about 5 pounds during this time, but I lost 2.25 inches around my waist.

I noticed that my weight loss caused a lot of loose skin in my glutes area. That area is already small for me and got even smaller. I'm going to need to focus on strengthening my glutes. Any exercises that help build glute muscles?

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I measured my waist for the first time in a couple of months. I've only lost about 5 pounds during this time, but I lost 2.25 inches around my waist.

I noticed that my weight loss caused a lot of loose skin in my glutes area. That area is already small for me and got even smaller. I'm going to need to focus on strengthening my glutes. Any exercises that help build glute muscles?
Reverse hyper extensions, lunges and step-ups.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Lifting wise: squats and lunges.

Non lifting but still good for stability and lower body support including low back: Resistance band clamshells and walking sideways with resistance bands.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Oh....you asked for it.

The KnappShack Bulgarian Split Squat!

I do some cable pull through moves, but I'd never do those in a gym where people could see.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Lifting wise: squats and lunges.

Non lifting but still good for stability and lower body support including low back: Resistance band clamshells and walking sideways with resistance bands.
Thanks! I've been doing squats with dumbbells but my lower back was not liking my increase in weight. I ended up taking a de-load week to help my back recover.

I'm guessing my technique is not where it should be.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks! I've been doing squats with dumbbells but my lower back was not liking my increase in weight. I ended up taking a de-load week to help my back recover.

I find lunges to be easier on my lower back.

I do one minute each side for the clamshells and it helps a ton.

Reactions: KnappShack

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

Squat is one of the most commonly performed exercise with incorrect technique/form.

I suggest to try to focus on your first movement being “to push your butt backwards, not downwards.”

Hang clean/power clean are additional exercises commonly performed with poor tech.