Players Transferring

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Per Volleytalk and social media, it is posted that Brannen Berta is transferring to Colorado. This is not a big surprise as she lost the libero position and basically only came in to serve throughout the season.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Per Volleytalk and social media, it is posted that Brannen Berta is transferring to Colorado. This is not a big surprise as she lost the libero position and basically only came in to serve throughout the season.
So is Grace Lazard, Abby Phillips and Anne Kiel.
We getting two transfer this year.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
No reason for concern at all, in my mind. Christie has been quite successful the past few years with her recruiting and inevitably, some women will continue to develop and get increased playing time, and others will find the transition more difficult and get less playing time than they expected. Most came out of HS as the "go to" player and now they have to fight for playing time.

Plus VB is very easy on transfers so there is little impediment to make a change. The number of transfers in D1 VB alone numbers in the hundreds each year.

So, this is not an indictment of the coach, or of the women. It is just reality.

Having said that, I am really saddened to learn that Grace is leaving. She was definitely one of the players who had made the transition to D1 very well, and her prospects were definitely on the rise. I wish her well, because she brought a lot of excitement to the team last year. She will definitely be missed.

• Agree
Reactions: no2cyclones

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
If Grace is headed to USC or UCLA and the other thread indicated, she must be looking for the bright lights or sand volleyball. Hopefully she wasn't just using ISU as a tryout for another place.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No reason for concern at all, in my mind. Christie has been quite successful the past few years with her recruiting and inevitably, some women will continue to develop and get increased playing time, and others will find the transition more difficult and get less playing time than they expected. Most came out of HS as the "go to" player and now they have to fight for playing time.

Plus VB is very easy on transfers so there is little impediment to make a change. The number of transfers in D1 VB alone numbers in the hundreds each year.

So, this is not an indictment of the coach, or of the women. It is just reality.

Having said that, I am really saddened to learn that Grace is leaving. She was definitely one of the players who had made the transition to D1 very well, and her prospects were definitely on the rise. I wish her well, because she brought a lot of excitement to the team last year. She will definitely be missed.

Losing players that have been beat out is one thing, losing Lazard is something entirely different especially given the effort that likely went into recruiting someone from overseas. Not the end of the world or anything but a real loss.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Losing players that have been beat out is one thing, losing Lazard is something entirely different especially given the effort that likely went into recruiting someone from overseas. Not the end of the world or anything but a real loss.
VB really needs to have sit-out transfer rules like WBB to prevent increased poaching of talents like Lazard. Out of the four players leaving, Lazard is the only one that is concerning. Berta and Phillips were going to be back-ups at ISU and Berta no longer appeared to be on the same page as CJL. Kiel transferred back home to Northwestern College and is now playing hoops for them. I;m assuming she will also play VB there.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
VB really needs to have sit-out transfer rules like WBB to prevent increased poaching of talents like Lazard. Out of the four players leaving, Lazard is the only one that is concerning. Berta and Phillips were going to be back-ups at ISU and Berta no longer appeared to be on the same page as CJL. Kiel transferred back home to Northwestern College and is now playing hoops for them. I;m assuming she will also play VB there.
Is Lazard for sure?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Is Lazard for sure?
Yes, according to attendees at the CJL luncheon last week. Likely ends up at USC or UCLA. Obviously a big loss.

ISU is supposed to gaining two transfers, one is Josie Herbst from UNLV/Bettendorf. Not sure about the other.

Berta is transferring to CU. Not sure about Phillips.

• Agree
Reactions: majorcyfan

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, according to attendees at the CJL luncheon last week. Likely ends up at USC or UCLA. Obviously a big loss.

ISU is supposed to gaining two transfers, one is Josie Herbst from UNLV/Bettendorf. Not sure about the other.

OK thanks! Didn't know that Lazard was USC or UCLA material - UCLA is absolutely loaded for next year.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
wow, surprised on Lazard for sure. I'm skeptical she'll see much court time at a USC/UCLA.

The others aren't really surprising. I would have been more surprised had Berta stayed.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
London kid wants to go to a warm, hip, cosmopolitan U.S. city...its happened before still sucks.

Posters have mentioned beach volleyball. She was a beach player in England and a search on her name pulls up lots of beach volleyball team play from a couple years ago.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

Given that we have 2 top 100 MB commits for 2017, and 2 quality returning seniors, I wonder if Lazard's plan was known for a while....

Not thrilled about adding yet another undersized OH.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa

Like Andie Malloy- The only reason she had to sit at Baylor is because she went Big 12 to Big 12. As a grad transfer to Nebraska her third team nothing.