Iowa Football Recruiting

SportsFan10

Feb 14, 2017
Ferentz gets paid more than all those team's coaches besides Stoops at Oklahoma and Doyle gets $625k a year. Either they are bad bowl games coaches (which they are) or they are severely overpaid
Or those teams just get better players every year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What did you think of ISU last 5 bowl game loses? I know you have to go back a ways since they don't make many. I thought each time they seemed less prepared and had no stamina to stand up to the likes of Tulsa, Rutgers, TCU (pre Big12), Boise St, and Bama (pre Saban)

ISU is 3-9 all time in bowl games, that is 25% winning, and I think even you would admit that is really, really bad.

Doyle is 6-8, which isn't great, but not bad considering he has done that in 16 years and ISU has racked up that impressive 3-9 record over 100 years.

Our previous coaches were bad bowl game coaches, I will gladly admit that

SportsFan10

Feb 14, 2017
What did you think of ISU last 5 bowl game loses? I know you have to go back a ways since they don't make many. I thought each time they seemed less prepared and had no stamina to stand up to the likes of Tulsa, Rutgers, TCU (pre Big12), Boise St, and Bama (pre Saban)

ISU is 3-9 all time in bowl games, that is 25% winning, and I think even you would admit that is really, really bad.

Doyle is 6-8, which isn't great, but not bad considering he has done that in 16 years and ISU has racked up that impressive 3-9 record over 100 years.
Iowa has also played in bowl games where they are playing way better and more talented teams than some non-P5 teams.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Our previous coaches were bad bowl game coaches, I will gladly admit that

Yeah, 3-9 is really bad. 6-8 isn't great, but not bad. When you play the USC, Stanfords, Floridas, LSU, Oklahomas of the world it is hard to go better than .500 in those games against the best of the best.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, 3-9 is really bad. 6-8 isn't great, but not bad. When you play the USC, Stanfords, Floridas, LSU, Oklahomas of the world it is hard to go better than .500 in those games against the best of the best.

You guys pay Ferentz more than those teams minus Oklahoma pay their coaches thoguh

SportsFan10

Feb 14, 2017
So then why pay Ferentz and Doyle so much if they can't bring in talent? That doesn't even make sense
Do you understand recruiting at all? The best players are in the South, every single year. The best players stay in the South for the most part, every single year. There aren't many good players in the Midwest compared to the South. Iowa doesn't have a built in advantage that all of those teams in the South do. Other than Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan, every other team in the North year in, year out is less talented than a ton of teams in the South.

You can recruit much, much easier at LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and even Stanford then Iowa. That is just the way it is.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
So then why pay Ferentz and Doyle so much if they can't bring in talent? That doesn't even make sense
Personally, I don't mind having a coach paid 4 mil to win 7-9 games a year. Sure beats paying a coach half that to win 3-6 games a year, which quite a few schools are doing. If Iowa starts cutting varsity sports due to Kirk's contract be sure and get back to me.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Do you understand recruiting at all? The best players are in the South, every single year. The best players stay in the South for the most part, every single year. There aren't many good players in the Midwest compared to the South. Iowa doesn't have a built in advantage that all of those teams in the South do. Other than Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan, every other team in the North year in, year out is less talented than a ton of teams in the South.

You can recruit much, much easier at LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and even Stanford then Iowa. That is just the way it is.

So they why pay Ferentz more than all those other coaches if he can't bring in talent?

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
You guys pay Ferentz more than those teams minus Oklahoma pay their coaches thoguh

Listen, I applaud the effort, I really do. I mean ISU has just been so bad at football that you got no ammo to work with. You do much better work with the basketball thread where ISU's track record actually give you some ammo to work with.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Personally, I don't mind having a coach paid 4 mil to win 7-8 games a year. Sure beats paying a coach half that to win 3-6 games a year, which quite a few schools are doing. If Iowa starts cutting varsity sports because the AD is tapped out due to Kirk's contract be sure and get back to me.

giphy.gif

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Listen, I applaud the effort, I really do. I mean ISU has just been so bad at football that you got no ammo to work with. You do much better work with the basketball thread where ISU's track record actually give you some ammo to work with.

Weak comeback

SportsFan10

Feb 14, 2017
So they why pay Ferentz more than all those other coaches if he can't bring in talent?
I don't care how much Iowa pays Kirk Ferentz. He does bring in talent, just not as much as those other schools do that Iowa plays in bowl games.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't care how much Iowa pays Kirk Ferentz. He does bring in talent, just not as much as those other schools do that Iowa plays in bowl games.

Why pay a coach a top 10 salary if he can't even bring in top 25 talent. Then on top of that you pay an average at best S&C coach $625k and he can't even coach and develop those kids up to complete in bowl games. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
To each their own, personally, I know quite a few friends that would be ecstatic to watch their team get an 8 or 9 win season. Pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing the team win on average 7-8 games a year with a few 10-12 win years in there as well if it meant getting up around that 4 mil mark. I know that number might sting some ADs more than others.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
To each their own, personally, I know quite a few friends that would be ecstatic to watch their team get an 8 or 9 win season. Pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing the team win on average 7-8 games a year with a few 10-12 win years in there as well if it meant getting up around that 4 mil mark. I know that number might sting some ADs more than others.

I would love to win 7-8 games a year but I'm not going to be OK with paying a coach a top 10 salary to do it even if the Big 12 is grind

SportsFan10

Feb 14, 2017
Why pay a coach a top 10 salary if he can't even bring in top 25 talent. Then on top of that you pay an average at best S&C coach $625k and he can't even coach and develop those kids up to complete in bowl games. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard
He can't bring in top talent because the university is in the state of Iowa. Iowa has won three more games in the last two years than Iowa State has in the last five. Iowa sends a lot of players to the NFL because of Doyle. He is actually one of the more highly regarded S&C coaches in the country. Your opinion on him means jack ****.

Reactions: breck53