ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I first noticed SportsCenter (and ESPN in general) taking a step in the wrong direction back when Brett Favre was going through his retirement phase. Every...single...telecast...was like an episode of TMZ. I grew to despise Favre simply from the over-saturation. It was a tired subject and they beat it into the ground.

Unfortunately SportsCenter has become worse. They take one subject and completely kill it. In this day and age when people have shorter and shorter attention spans they drag out one or two stories and beat it to death.

MLB Network and NFL Network have saved me from the habit of instantly waking up and tuning into SportsCenter. I know I'll get every single highlight from every single game. I don't need to see every moment of Steph Curry's press conference with his daughter and I don't give a flying **** which no-name player protested the National Anthem.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
The liberal angle is just bogus. If that were the reason that ESPN was failing, wouldn't you expect it to only affect them? It's not though. Their competitors are seeing big dropoffs as well. FS1 is down lots of subscribers, too. They just had a big employee layoff about a year ago. Cable subscriptions are down across the board. Unless your theory is that viewers are so angry at ESPN's liberal view that they're cancelling their entire cable subscription in protest, then that angle just doesn't hold water.

There are legitimate reasons why ESPN is not doing as well as they were (and to be clear, they're still very, very profitable). Being too PC/Liberal is way, way far down the list.
I think paying for sports is going downhill with millennials and as a consequence means less money for sports the future

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I first noticed SportsCenter (and ESPN in general) taking a step in the wrong direction back when Brett Favre was going through his retirement phase. Every...single...telecast...was like an episode of TMZ. I grew to despise Favre simply from the over-saturation. It was a tired subject and they beat it into the ground.

Unfortunately SportsCenter has become worse. They take one subject and completely kill it. In this day and age when people have shorter and shorter attention spans they drag out one or two stories and beat it to death.

MLB Network and NFL Network have saved me from the habit of instantly waking up and tuning into SportsCenter. I know I'll get every single highlight from every single game. I don't need to see every moment of Steph Curry's press conference with his daughter and I don't give a flying **** which no-name player protested the National Anthem.
They call that doing it on the cheap.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think paying for sports is going downhill with millennials and as a consequence means less money for sports the future

...and for some sports, they simply aren't making it a habit to watch them like older generations. The demographics for fans watching MLB, for example, keeps trending older and older.

I do predict a contraction in the future -- stadiums have priced-out a large percentage of the population from even being able to afford to attend a game in person. I think salaries will have to eventually come back down to earth. The money train simply isn't going to keep running at the pace it has for the last several decades now that sports broadcasting revenues are taking such a hit.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Since it's Friday, do you think some of the major personalities are going to be let go? The reports are that ESPN is laying off close to 100 people and so far they are at 65

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Since it's Friday, do you think some of the major personalities are going to be let go? The reports are that ESPN is laying off close to 100 people and so far they are at 65
They lay offs were 50 on air and 50 off air. We will likely only about hear the on air people because they're relatable.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree. What's been happening with ESPN is a reflection of a change in the way sports are consumed in this country. And, to a larger degree, what's happening with cable is a reflection of a change in the way entertainment is consumed. We're witnessing a giant behemoth trying to adjust to market forces. That's the driving factor behind all of this. I have no doubt that things will settle down eventually as the new landscape takes shape, but things will be a lot different. Mountains will now be valleys and swamps will become deserts. But cable and ESPN aren't going away. There have been a lot of references to ESPN "dying" amidst this round of layoffs. It's not dying. It's still incredibly profitable. I have no doubt that ESPN will be around for years and years and years. They still offer a service that lots of people want. There's just a shift in the way people want it.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm no stock guru, but Disney stock has been downgraded by multiple analysts over the past few months, and the issues at ESPN have usually been the primary reason given for the downgrade. The other Disney divisions seem to be doing OK. Seems like the writing has been on the wall for this sort of thing to happen for awhile now.

Disney will be presenting an earnings report in early May. Just speculation, but If they already know that the report will not be good, this layoff could be a "pre-emptive strike" in the sense that it is something they can use to demonstrate that they are addressing the problems, and hopefully keep the stock price from falling too much.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I really hope Disney either purchases Netflix or puts a deal in place to have ESPN carried on Netflix. Check out this article from Forbes about how a Disney acquisition of Netflix could help ESPN:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...erger-would-rescue-espn-in-2017/#1e51798b4ff7

Netflix has 83 million subscribers, and has enjoyed pretty constant growth. It has multiple deals with a wide variety of studios and production companies to stream content and create new exclusive content. And it's frankly the most recognizable name brand in content-streaming today.

The smart move for Disney, then, is to buy Netflix and move ESPN over to that platform. There are several options for the specifics -- make it an add-on service like the DVD option, or go for sheer quantity of subscribers by simply adding ESPN to the service at no extra charge (at first, anyway) to subscribers, and in either case providing advertising space during the streaming broadcasts. Keeping the games available for one month, for anyone wanting to save up a block of games to binge on (perhaps creating a new way of viewing sports programing) or re-watch them, would provided added advertising potential (albeit at a lower rate than during the live broadcast and subsequent first 24 hours of "rerun" streaming). And the fact this would make ESPN content more readily available on mobile devices via the Netflix app -- where ad revenue could again be generated to greater affect at higher rates, due to the large subscriber base -- shouldn't be forgotten.

Once Disney has Netflix, then they are in a position for a very different approach to Fox for a deal. Netflix’s subscriber base is approaching 100 million worldwide. They’ll break through in China and India (where they're already available but not yet making a big push) fully in the next decade, that’s inevitable and will send their subscriber rate into the stratosphere. So, with that platform, Disney can approach Fox about trading the Marvel franchises back, in exchange for a good deal for Fox movies on Netflix. Offer to top any HBO or other outlet offers for Fox content, and offer FX exclusive broadcast TV rights to Disney movies when they go to broadcast television. A combo of exclusive FX access to Disney premiere on broadcast networks plus a great deal for streaming Fox movies on Netflix is the deal to offer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If ESPN gets on Netflix and raises it to more than $10, people will just start dumping Netflix. I know we would.

Yup. House of Cards doesn't mean that much to me. I'd go over to either Hulu or Amazon Prime and not even think twice (really should do Prime anyway considering how much we buy off Amazon).

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Netflix is pretty adamant that they will not be entering the live sports market to maintain their price point. They seem to be doing well on their own being they just hit 100M subscribers.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So does ESPN have to honor contracts? If so, why lay them off unless some financial restructuring is going to take place

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
So does ESPN have to honor contracts? If so, why lay them off unless some financial restructuring is going to take place

A contract is a legal document. Both parties must honor the terms or risk litigation. I'm not sure what you are driving at there.

Aren't all reduction in labor force actions by companies called "lay offs" these days? I wouldn't read too much into that label (if that is what you were asking about).

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron