Very, VERY Confusing Play Calling Tonight

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
To be fair to Park, the OL was god awful and gave him no help. Still, 3 picks is inexcusable.
but he need to figure out how to throw the damn ball away and not force something that is not there.... I would rather keep the ball or at least field position than 3 INT's I will say that Park's true Steel Jantz came out last night, and not the good side....

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Same old crap. It is all about QB play. You can not give away downs with poor throws or poor decisions. This has killed us over the years. Park had been a significant improvement this year, but he was bad last night. Against a talented team, you can not have only one or two well executed plays out of three. You will never sustain a series.
this is the core of the problem, when you are throwing on the run and nothing is there, throw it away.....

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
this is the core of the problem, when you are throwing on the run and nothing is there, throw it away.....

The core problem was actually the play-calling. It is VERY easy to dial up aggressive blitzes and stunts on defense when you know we are going to pass. We abandoned the run game early, they knew it, and they poured the heat on us. In addition to the obvious need to throw short slant routes, screens, and draws, simple running plays would have forced Texas to be more reserved in their defensive scheme and not be so aggressive.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The core problem was actually the play-calling. It is VERY easy to dial up aggressive blitzes and stunts on defense when you know we are going to pass. We abandoned the run game early, they knew it, and they poured the heat on us. In addition to the obvious need to throw short slant routes, screens, and draws, simple running plays would have forced Texas to be more reserved in their defensive scheme and not be so aggressive.

I can't fathom why we weren't running more slants, drag routes, and hook routes. It's just absolutely baffling to me.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I agree with you, I was replying to the the Park message, I think his bad play was rooted to bad decision making.
I agree that the lack of run game or even attempt to get one did not help his situation is passing downs, and there were times when the dink and dunk was working but we push for 2-3 keep them honest deep fades to kill the drive. The play calling or I would even say lack of good game plan hurt us a lot, but the 3 INT's really did lose the game as well which goes back to his bad decision making when under duress....

• Agree
Reactions: DeereClone

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Completely agree. It's elementary type stuff - when they blitz run something short and quick behind the blitz. Instead we tried going downfield all night.
Also if we got in the mindset that running the ball does not work, which I don't even think got a chance to prove, the short passes are a good alternative.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeBacon

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I hope being embarrassed in front of the whole country will have this staff make some better game plans and game decisions.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Also if we got in the mindset that running the ball does not work, which I don't even think got a chance to prove, the short passes are a good alternative.

I agree that we didn't even fully prove that the run wasn't going to work. Montgomery averaged 3.8 per carry, and had runs of 8 and 9 in the first half. That's not terrible and you hope the running game improves over the course of the game as the defense wears down.

Total break-down in offensive philosophy and scheme IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Also when the defense brings heat, hit quick slant right behind the blitzing linebackers, or a screen since the blitz will be running right past the back receiving the ball. I was calling for Jones all night when the blitz would come, give him the ball on a quick slant and let him go. If we would have done this and was successful, they would have backed off some.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It is important to be balanced. You have to be able to call plays based on what the defense is doing. To say you are going to run the ball not matter what, will not work. Pretty obvious they planned to take away the run, play physical with our WR at the line of scrimmage and force Park to make plays. The physical play with the WR totally killed the timing and Park struggled.

• Agree
Reactions: Cypwr

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Towards the end of the first half the offense got the ball moving...by short quick passes. Ryen got us a first down, looked like we had momentum going, then we tried going deep by throwing Lazard two uncatchable passes. Short, quick passes can substitute for a running game, but we didn't even want to stick with that! Manning's lack of adjusting to what the defense gives him is a sin for this program. I think we have more than capable players on the field, but our offensive play calling was just that, offensive.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Abandoned the run way to early. Needed to ger jones and Ryan the ball in more short routes.

They had Lazard blanketed - couldn't force it. Also there were a few drops.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm not gonna blame Park like a lot of you are, yeah he played a poor game but he was running for his life. When he had time he made good throws, but unfortunately him having time was barely ever. The fact that Montgomery only got 9 carries is ******* rediculous!!!!! Of course the defense is going to pin their ears back and blitz when they don't have to worry about you even trying to run the ball.

Credit to the defense though they played excellent.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm no football expert, but it's not hard to see there was absolutely no plan. As someone alluded to earlier, it seemed like nothing but seem routes where Park was going to have to either fit it between two defenders or execute a back-shoulder, all while having little-to-no time to sit in the pocket.

We abandoned the run game approximately 2 series into the game. We made no attempt to get Montgomery involved. We didn't get our struggling QB going with some quick-hit screens or easy out routes. It was comically bad.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
I'm not football expert, but it's not hard to see there was absolutely no plan. As someone alluded to earlier, it seemed like nothing but seem routes where Park was going to have to either fit it between two defenders or execute a back-shoulder, all while having little-to-no time to sit in the pocket.

We abandoned the run game approximately 2 series into the game. We made no attempt to get Montgomery involved. We didn't get our struggling QB going with some quick-hit screens or easy out routes. It was comically bad.

To the point that the announcers were even confused by our play calling.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm not gonna blame Park like a lot of you are, yeah he played a poor game but he was running for his life. When he had time he made good throws, but unfortunately him having time was barely ever. The fact that Montgomery only got 9 carries is ******* rediculous!!!!! Of course the defense is going to pin their ears back and blitz when they don't have to worry about you even trying to run the ball.

Credit to the defense though they played excellent.
Park has usually been pretty good of making due with poor protection, if not helping to create a pocket out of mediocre blocking. Not the case last night, and bad games happen. Outside of UT, OU, and TCU I think we'll be able to have a chance on offense. On the flip side, we won't play against as bad of offense as Herman's compressed, horizontal ****, so the that 3rd down defense needs to get better. I think UT's very average QB started 9 for 11.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's been mentioned on here and was mentioned last night on the broadcast as well, but they have to figure out a way to get Park to keep his throws down. He has a tendency to let the ball sail. Either a receiver is going to die or we are going to keep seeing gifted interceptions.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We ran into a defense with a good line and a game plan to blitz almost every down. Our o-line, WR, QB, and coaching staff didn't respond well. Rolling Park to avoid the pressure just resulted in the high passes and more problems. We seemed to learn this over and over.