Very, VERY Confusing Play Calling Tonight

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
My observation was Park had a terrible game (he's human), the oline got dominated, the play calling was very suspect, and the front 7 from Texas is good. The thing that I wanted to see was 2nd have coaching adjustments like I've seen in the past. I think we should have done some screen passes and delayed draws against that super aggressive defense. I'm pretty bummed out because we had to have that game and the offense came out so flat.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I would love to hear what Manning has to say about his play calling. Park had a rough night, but to continue to ask him to throw the ball every play is asking for a disaster. Hopefully Park can come out of this game with his confidence. I'm putting a lot of this disaster on Manning.

Anyone calling for Noland is still stuck in the Rhoads era. Can't pull Park now, but he REALLY needs to stay in the pocket longer and step up.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Our offense was so very impatient last night. So disappointing. Bad sign of things to come in unless they can find some patience. No matter what offense ISU runs then need to be able to sustain long drives and patiently execute. See KSU and NDSU. They both are experts at it. I lost an enormous amount of respect for the offense and offensive coaching last night because of the inability to be patient. Texas was giving us underneath stuff because they knew we could not patiently execute.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't get all the oline hate, they had their mistakes but after the first quarter and a half, they settled in and played much better. The problem was by that time Park was already rattled and he never recovered. He was his own worst enemy in the 2nd half, most of the time he felt pressure that wasn't there and bolted, a la Sam Richardson. Even with the line and Park struggling, better play calling could have helped. THey should have called some easy pass plays, screens maybe, anything to get Park's head back in the game. Oh and if they aren't going to run the ball, find ways to get Montgomery involved in the passing game. You can't purposely take your best player out of the game and expect to move the ball.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Remember when Campbell was hired and Pollard made a big deal about how we were going to run the ball? What the hell happened to that philosophy? I'm not saying we should be 60/40 run, but we ran 27 pass plays to 6 runs in the first half. And we looked awful. How does that happen?

It was completely baffling as to why we refused to run WR screens. This is the one area that Park does exponentially better than any QB we've had in the last 20 years. Get the freakin ball out to Ryen and Jones and let them go 1 on 1. We wasted all of our best players last night because of Tom Manning's incompetence.

I understand Park has to make better decisions and keep his cool, but the offensive staff killed him last night. His confidence is shook, he's clearly frustrated and confused, playing poorly, and what do we do? Dial up another 19 yard seam route where he has to thread the needle. This was common sense, and our coaches showed no ability to adjust. Absolutely infuriating. What were they watching?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Our offense was so very impatient last night. So disappointing. Bad sign of things to come in unless they can find some patience. No matter what offense ISU runs then need to be able to sustain long drives and patiently execute. See KSU and NDSU. They both are experts at it. I lost an enormous amount of respect for the offense and offensive coaching last night because of the inability to be patient. Texas was giving us underneath stuff because they knew we could not patiently execute.
I agree with this a lot, it is not running the offense any different that we have been, just sticking with the grind plan when it is given to us, the impatience was showing with the continuing attempt for deep balls when we were moving the ball fine with the underneath short passes....

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I will agree Manning graded an F last night. I think when Park watches the game film he's going to feel pretty embarrassed. Hopefully it will light a fire under his @ss.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I still like Manning, but last night was inexcusable. One of the worst coaching performances I've seen as an ISU fan, which is saying something.

Does it seem like we have a very limited playbook? Texas offense was garbarge, but showed way more creativity than we did. I liked the design of the Montgomery run that went for 7-8 yards after we started getting a little momentum. They ran away from the motion and it added just enough misdirection to open things up. I haven't seen very many of those wrinkles this season. It's conference season. No need to keep everything basic.

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
One play I did like even though it didn't work out was the pitch to Montgomery who then had the option to either run or throw since he played QB in HS. Wouldn't mind trying that again down the road when we desperately need a TD.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One play I did like even though it didn't work out was the pitch to Montgomery who then had the option to either run or throw since he played QB in HS. Wouldn't mind trying that again down the road when we desperately need a TD.

It was way, way, way too slow to develop. Any idiot could see what was happening. And it was at a very critical point in the game. I didn't like it being called there.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Decided to rewatch the Maryland v Texas game and man it just creates more questions. Maryland ran the ball down their throats for the first touchdown. Lots of two back sets (something we had last year and seem to have burned the play). Sweep outside left for 4-5, sweep right for 5-6. Same wide receiver screen that we run and worked well. Then QB option right where the QB took it to the house but not really in our ability with Park.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I liked the placement of the call, but Montgomery didn't sell it at all. Looked to me like they were trying to sell the option play they killed Iowa with, but it looked awkward and didn't fool anyone.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I liked the placement of the call, but Montgomery didn't sell it at all. Looked to me like they were trying to sell the option play they killed Iowa with, but it looked awkward and didn't fool anyone.

Perhaps you should actually run that option play a couple times first to setup the fake Pass?

• Agree
Reactions: bthebutcher

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It was way, way, way too slow to develop. Any idiot could see what was happening. And it was at a very critical point in the game. I didn't like it being called there.

The real problem with that play is Lazard was practically being tackled by the CB and couldn't get separation.

• Agree
Reactions: Cypwr

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
This is the only way ISU can win consistently in the Big 12 is to able to do the below. The most brilliant football drive in all of history.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'm not normally the kind of person that would notice play calling during a game but it was obvious last night that we should have made changes on both sides of the ball.

It was probably a **** move, but I was screaming for the defense to rush more than three guys. Waaaaaaaaay too much time for Buechele to find a receiver.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron