Matt Lauer Fired

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm like BC in that even if invited, I'd probably still be a bit weirded out at feeling a preg coworker's belly. But maybe it's because I know I would hate that myself.

In any case, there's probably a line on the "invited to touch" too - like if a woman says "grab my boobs, they're huge today!" or a male coworker invites touching on something else that is "huge" today :D
Although I would probably ask to feel cowgirls tummy because I wouldn't believe a 50 year old woman could be Prego.

• Creative
Reactions: cowgirl836

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Best advice I can give, is keep all relationships at business very businesslike and sanitary. Even vendors, they can be the worst. You will get vendors who are touchy feely and very flirty (imo, this crap needs to stop also but as long as it works it will continue). If the opposite sex, consider them the same sex as you and concentrate on the business point. That will keep you fairly clean of issues.

Want to find a partner, find someone is a totally different avenue of work and start there.

I have to agree with this. There's a customer I hate to go to, because one of their guys is always reminding me how long its been since the last time he saw me and commenting on my looks, clothes. The people I actually work with there are great. But because I have to pass by this guy every time, I never look forward to it.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
wow...this thread went a very strange direction from the first page. I did not see this coming.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have to agree with this. There's a customer I hate to go to, because one of their guys is always reminding me how long its been since the last time he saw me and commenting on my looks, clothes. The people I actually work with there are great. But because I have to pass by this guy every time, I never look forward to it.

Did you wear your Wonder Woman outfit? Is that really appropriate?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
wow...this thread went a very strange direction from the first page. I did not see this coming.
Although this thread may be a very good example of appropriateness. Some of us converse on a semi regular basis and some dont. The level of frankness, a little joking, and discussion seemed to work along those lines.

Treat people like your parents or siblings and not like you're at a bar drunk and you have a decent start.

Reactions: khardbored

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Did you wear your Wonder Woman outfit? Is that really appropriate?

Only once out of the 15 or so encounters. (j/k)

Honestly, I'd have no problem with his comments if it was a coworker. But when I work for a supplier and I'm visiting his workplace. The last thing I want to do is create a scene at one of our customers. If I turn him down, who knows if he's friends with the purchasing manager? If he asks me out and I say yes, will I get my company in trouble if I dump him later on? I'm in a catch 22.

I just smile and say yes it's been awhile, and end the conversation as quickly and tactfully as possible.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
She needs to replace Roker immediately.
tenor.gif

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This actually happened to me recently, seems appropriate since we are talking about behavior that was once (tacitly) accepted and has now changed. Well, sort of....

Was in the mall and saw a child (a girl, maybe 4 or 5) who looked for all the world like she was lost, or missing her parent(s). I was really torn, because it occurred to me that if I went to the child, asked to help, my first instinct would be to take the child by the hand and go someplace where I could find help. And I imagine more than a few people might observe this, and instantly view me as a pedophile, or worse.

I'm a kind of touchy/feely guy by nature (sorry if that ruins my persona for those of you who know me fairly well) and so I have to be very careful of this behavior in many settings. It makes me kind of sad, actually, because to me there is far too little love, respect, and understanding to go around these days. Too many aberrant behaviors are making it tough for society to even get along.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
But he acted like it was something easy to misunderstand. It really wasn’t.

I hope I didn't leave that impression. What i was pointing out is the work environment is very complex and my female coworker had made comments about herself in the past. And I recall posting that it in no way shape or form condones inappropriate behavior.

What the male did was completely unacceptable and that's why I stepped in. We can all rationalize some things but others are simply black and white.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Paging @FAW cast...
"And he loved to engage in a crass quiz game with men and women in the office: “f—, marry, or kill,” in which he would identify the female co-hosts that he’d most like to sleep with."

So this started in 2014 that NBC knew and they proceeded to pay him $25 million / year. Seems fair.

Ok I think we can all agree this is a Giant RED FLAG...

"His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy."

Last edited:

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
After this whole Matt Lauer incident maybe someone will finally listen to Gord that his brother Freddy is getting fingered.

giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Only once out of the 15 or so encounters. (j/k)

Honestly, I'd have no problem with his comments if it was a coworker. But when I work for a supplier and I'm visiting his workplace. The last thing I want to do is create a scene at one of our customers. If I turn him down, who knows if he's friends with the purchasing manager? If he asks me out and I say yes, will I get my company in trouble if I dump him later on? I'm in a catch 22.

I just smile and say yes it's been awhile, and end the conversation as quickly and tactfully as possible.
I would say if you turn him down simply blame it on your job and say that you aren't allowed to have more than a professional relationship with your clients. By no means should you go out with someone simply because you are concerned you will lose a client. I'm sure that isn't in your job description. ;-) If it gets that far, you should let your boss know about it immediately and how you handled it. It's better that your boss hears about it from you. Frankly, if you are uncomfortable it might not hurt to let your boss know about it before it goes that far...

You are welcome for the unsolicited advice... :rolleyes: