Voices from Memphis: 2017 Bowl Edition

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just good folks so far.

Talked to the owner's son at Gibson's Donuts. Great guy and really helpful with an idea to upgrade my tailgate. Instead of donut breakfast sandwiches with a donut sliced in half, he suggested getting unfilled Bismarks and push the sausage patties and cheese slices into it. Fantastic.

And the owner of Cozy Corner was as nice as could be.

Locals don't seem to know much about our team, but are very confident about their team. I'm going to start asking them if they even know that we beat Oklahoma and TCU (not even letting TCU score an offensive point).

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Iowa State will be missing two key members of the secondary.

• Informative
Reactions: JSmoove

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pandy Reterson tripped on the stair from the oyster bar into main bar at Silky O Sullivan’s at about 11 last night. I kind of reached out to make sure he didn’t take a header but he caught himself for the most part.
Me “God damn it Randy, don’t blow out anoth.....”
Randy “I know, I know.”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pandy Reterson tripped on the stair from the oyster bar into main bar at Silky O Sullivan’s at about 11 last night. I kind of reached out to make sure he didn’t take a header but he caught himself for the most part.
Me “God damn it Randy, don’t blow out anoth.....”
Randy “I know, I know.”

You just KNOW this is in connection with ISU beating Iowa some year in a sport.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
After the game we were heading for the exits and a Memphis fan ran into me. My dad was following me and said she took a swing at me haha.

The Memphis fans were great in my section. Three sat down in front of me, looked at all of the Iowa State fans, and one said he wanted to wear our colors. He was impressed with how many fans we had, but seemed like a casual Memphis fan.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Heck of a game, deserves camaraderie in the post game festivities. Congrats to both teams.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Memphis fans party hard!. Stayed in the RV lot last night, a Memphis group pulled up next door with a smoker trailer at noon Friday and I thought we hit the jackpot, but they went hard all night, generator running, music blaring, next morning when he delivered brisket to us with his apologies, he mentioned his crew went through 20 bottles of vodka...brisket was good but rough day with no sleep.. cyclone win makes it easier

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Memphis fans party hard!. Stayed in the RV lot last night, a Memphis group pulled up next door with a smoker trailer at noon Friday and I thought we hit the jackpot, but they went hard all night, generator running, music blaring, next morning when he delivered brisket to us with his apologies, he mentioned his crew went through 20 bottles of vodka...brisket was good but rough day with no sleep.. cyclone win makes it easier
71fabc9f361e09b60875bcc2a07d8d41.jpg

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
A car load of Memphis fans park next to us and get out. Middle-aged couple with their teenage son and her father, Curt, who is probably pushing 80 and needs help getting around. While they get organized we invite Curt to sit in our tent next to the heater. Was damn cold at 8am. The couple and kid proceed to leave to meet up with friends elsewhere and leave the elderly Curt. So Curt sits in our tent and joins our party as several friends arrived over time. Around 10:45 we start to take the tent down and now poor Curt is sitting in the cold. At about 11 the women shows up to round up Curt, which was a good thing because we were heading into the stadium. Though extremely awkward it was all good in the end because we learned a lot about Memphis from ol’ Curt. I miss him already.

ShortBus

Jul 16, 2010
Ankeny
Met a Memphis fan/alumn who was on the track team in a bar on Thursday night that kept saying that Memphis was going to beat us by 30 points. Tried talking sensibly to him as he didn’t have any idea what conference we were in or who we have played/beat already. Still said they were better than Oklahoma and were going to “beat our ass”. Other than that one guy, all of the Memphis fans and people we encountered were extremely hospitable and congratulated us on a good game.

Reactions: isu2014 and Spanky

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A bunch of young Memphis fans tailgating in the stadium parking lot acting hostile and calling out to all of the ISU people walking by "****in Northerners!" "****in Yankees!"

This was before the game.

I heard at least two ISU fans respond with "Dilly! Dilly!" which was very appropriate, I thought.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Walking out of the stadium and found myself behind a couple of Memphis fans. They were quite inebriated, and one of them kept shouting out "1 point. 1 ******* point" then proceeded to trip over himself and had to be helped up by his friend. Made me chuckle and think, "we've been there before man."

Help Support Us

Become a patron