Drake Coach to CO State

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think half that team will be playing for their 4th different HC, if you count Rutter among the four.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
According to the Drake Newspaper he made at least $401,200.

https://timesdelphic.com/2017/03/29/the-search-for-a-new-mens-baskteball-coach-is-over

Martin said Drake “made investments into the program” in order to hire Medved. This included an augmented salary pool to hire assistant coaches.

Martin added that Medved will be compensated among the top half of head coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference. This means Medved’s salary will be at least $401,200 per year, the median salary amongst MVC head coaches, according to an analysis conducted by The Times-Delphic.

Also dropped $50k to give the team a postseason victory lap (and gave tickets away for free IIRC) for their return to some measure of respectability.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Missouri Valley Salaries FWIW-From MVCFans.com

Ben Jacobson-UNI-$975,000 (plus $25k annual raise)
Brian Wardle-Bradley-$700,000 (plus $10k annual raise)
Dan Muller-Illinois State-$660,000
Porter Moser-Loyola-$600,000
Matt Lottich-Valpo-$500,000
Niko Medved-Drake-$425,000
*Walter McCarty-Evansville-$400,000
Barry Hinson-Southern Illinois-$325,000
*Dana Ford-Missouri State-$305,000
Greg Lansing-Indiana State-$295,000

*=New coaches for 2018-2019

Do to being broke UNI is exempt from state budget cuts, leaving it all for ISU and Iowa to take on, but they still pay an MVC basketball coach a million per year? Something feels off about that.

After a quick Google search it looks like they gave him a 2 year extension last spring (after going 14-16) bringing him back up to a full 10 years on this contract. He doesn't even have to win at a lowish mid major level to get damn near seven figures per year for seemingly as long as he wants. **** me, Ben Jacobsen has the best job in college basketball.

Last edited:

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
This is an accurate correction. I was actually talking to a friend about this the other day. I love college basketball. It's easily my favorite of all sports-- professional or collegiate. I will sit down and watch just about any random *** CBB game on TV. But I've never once had the thought pop up "hey, I should go check out that Drake game today." Affordable tickets, live basketball, could take the kids. But nope. There is just no excitement, no buzz. Other than Timmer I don't think I could have named anyone on the team from Emmenecker until now.

Also, they don't seem to pull much local talent. I see some kids from small towns across the state, but they never seem to pull any talent from the Des Moines/CIML area.

It's just a bad, bad brand. Bad gym, bad basketball, bad all around.
However, doesn’t it supposedly have very high academic standards and prestige to go along with being very expensive

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Don't try to minimize how outraged I am.

old.jpg

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm kinda surprised. I hate to see a coach jump ship after a year. I get it, I just don't like it.

So if you were in his shoes, you would have stayed at Drake?

Most likely going to get a 5-6 year contract and almost double his salary. He has a history at CSU, knows the recruiting and can set himself up quite well even if he doesn't cut it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
So if you were in his shoes, you would have stayed at Drake?

Most likely going to get a 5-6 year contract and almost double his salary. He has a history at CSU, knows the recruiting and can set himself up quite well even if he doesn't cut it.

Understand why Drake is upset, but the guy is doing what's in his best interest. No different than regular folks who switch jobs.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Budget issues aside, Jacobson is worth every bit of $1M for UNI, in my opinion.

Questionable imo. Only won the conference outright 2/12 times. 4/12 NCAA appearances. Miss postseason play altogether 3 out of the 5 last years. Even in a successful year your team having absolutely no ability to inbound the ball in a pressure situation is a bad look.