*New Uniform Thread*

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ack! No no no no no no no no no no no no.

You shut your dirty mouth.

Nike’s better than that.

Right?

Are they? Really? Put on your nut cups, boys!

OregonState_uniforms_2016_worst_slide_getty.jpg

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I don't think the new "Cyclone" logo from the Texas game last year is going anywhere. Why would we introduce something only to use it once?

It does look better on the white helmet at least.
It’s not like they haven’t worn an uni once and mothballed it before.

How’s the apparel selling? Is the bugle a frequent sight on fan appare?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
per KXNO Jamie Pollard: Coach Campbell asked for a cyclone logo and was provided the bugle logo. They were planning to wear them again but didn't because they lost the game they brought them out for.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
per KXNO Jamie Pollard: Coach Campbell asked for a cyclone logo and was provided the bugle logo. They were planning to wear them again but didn't because they lost the game they brought them out for.
Did Campbell approve of the new Cyclone logo?

• Informative
Reactions: k123

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

That was kind of brought up in the interview regarding the poor fan reception of the logo and Pollard just kind of laughed it off. Then said if they won the game, people wouldn't care what they would wear, just win the game, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: k123

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
[QUOTE="huntt26, post: 6113680, member: 419]....regarding the poor fan reception of the logo and Pollard just kind of laughed it off. Then said if they won the game, people wouldn't care what they would wear, just win the game, etc.[/QUOTE]

Jamie-- always plugged into the pulse of the fans....

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
That was kind of brought up in the interview regarding the poor fan reception of the logo and Pollard just kind of laughed it off. Then said if they won the game, people wouldn't care what they would wear, just win the game, etc.

Except a lot of ppl hated it before the game. Whatever Jamie.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Except a lot of ppl hated it before the game. Whatever Jamie.
I’m fine with toeing the company line that they won’t wear it again because they lost the game it was rolled out for as long as those things a buried and forgotten.

That said, I want a Cyclone logo too, but it’s gotta be a good one. The Kagavi protoype was fantastic, in my opinion.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I've heard from people close to the program that Campbell was completely against it. He didn't shelve it because we lost, he shelved it because it sucked and he couldn't stand it.

Pollard is blatantly lying about this, which confirms my suspicion that he's the only one who's ever liked the logo in the first place. He's also pig-headed and arrogant enough about these kind of things to keep ramming it though. Eventually Pollard the Bean Counter and Pollard The Nerd With Godawful Taste will be at loggerheads over this when it continues to sell poorly, and it will scrapped.

As good as Pollard is with significant aspects of being AD, he's 100% tone deaf on these types of matters, and gives the impression he really doesn't give a **** what people think.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I've heard from people close to the program that Campbell was completely against it. He didn't shelve it because we lost, he shelved it because it sucked and he couldn't stand it.

Pollard is blatantly lying about this, which confirms my suspicion that he's the only one who's ever liked the logo in the first place. He's also pig-headed and arrogant enough about these kind of things to keep ramming it though. Eventually Pollard the Bean Counter and Pollard The Nerd With Godawful Taste will be at loggerheads over this when it continues to sell poorly, and it will scrapped.

As good as Pollard is with significant aspects of being AD, he's 100% tone deaf on these types of matters, and gives the impression he really doesn't give a **** what people think.

Yeah, I don't think you even need to have program insiders to figure ^this situation^ out. We now have a coach that actually gives a **** about style.

I believe the designer of the bugle logo also designed the block I-STATE, correct? Unfortunately, we're probably contractually obligated to go through them for any future logo designs/alterations.

What a disappointingly half-assed effort.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, I don't think you even need to have program insiders to figure ^this situation^ out. We now have a coach that actually gives a **** about style.

I believe the designer of the bugle logo also designed the block I-STATE, correct? Unfortunately, we're probably contractually obligated to go through them for any future logo designs/alterations.

Not that the I-STATE is a logo for the ages...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I think the block I-State is 1000x better than the upside down poop emoji.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Jamie Pollard and his team have been fantastic for Iowa State. Full stop.

The AD is often in an impossible position, because they can never make everyone happy. The reintroduction of a Cyclone logo was a huge step, because it represented a small seismic shift in becoming more open to ideas floating around, especially with ISU's inherent disadvantages.

We can quibble on whether it was the most appropriate design, but the bigger message here was the willingness to listen to simple facts such as the lack of a nickname logo.

It does match the current Cy logos, also done by Joe Bosack. I suspect that was the directive given. Overlooked by some (unfortunately) was the simple fact that timeless design goes with ANYTHING.

I look forward to this new openness leading to more positive change.

per KXNO Jamie Pollard: Coach Campbell asked for a cyclone logo and was provided the bugle logo.

Was provided is ... a nice way of putting it. After all, the team was already selectively using the original Orr Cyclone for merit helmet stickers.

*cough*

DLVGH_5VwAAoKLJ.jpg:small

In the past, the given AD reason for the lack of institutional support (by some) for the updated Orr Cyclone was because it had a poor "winning record" history attached to it. Now it's the opposite?

Also curious was the decision to do an entirely new logo, given the previously stated AD reasoning against introducing new logos.

The current I-State logo was a revised version of a 1970s logo.
The current Cy logo was a revised version of Cy's 1990s redesign.
The current Cyclone logo ... COULD'VE BEEN THIS:

DLy-Fd5UEAAusdW.jpg:small

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Not that the I-STATE is a logo for the ages...

I think the block I-State is 1000x better than the upside down poop emoji.

It has been infinitely improved by largely jettisoning the BEVELED letters on BEVELED on BEVELED and simply going with an outline or solid color in recent years.

The angled "arms" on the block I is pretty good from a design perspective, because it stands apart from other similar logos (Iowa, Illinois, etc.) Just needs a few tiny tweaks here and there, especially to the STATE type, largely unnoticeable to the majority of the fan base.

Wrestling team needs to use the block I by itself, pronto.

After all, the last time the ISU wrestling team won the national championship, they were wearing ... the block I ... and using the Orr Cyclone school logo.

What terrible history to remember!