Favorite Simple but obscure mixed drink

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
But why?

If I make anything fancier than whiskey on the rocks, I make an old fashioned. It doesn't get better than that.

I guess once in a while we'll make whiskey sours as well, they are awesome with fresh squeezed lemons and limes.

Once the sun goes down, it's usually straight bourbon for me (or the occasional old fashioned) but sometimes on the weekends in the summer I have been known to drink before the sun goes down. In those instances, it's better for everyone involved if I'm not drinking straight bourbon.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Greyhound
Some recipes call for more juice and less booze but for me equal parts vodka and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice served over ice is just about perfect.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
Tito's & Gatorade in the summer.

Whats up with all the Gin lovers? That is my mom's go to but it just tastes like an evergreen tree to me.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Never had it myself but heard a lady order it at lunch this weekend.

A Screw-Up
Normal Screwdriver ingredients, and a splash or two of 7UP.

Sounds like something I could pound about 5 of at breakfast.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Tito's & Gatorade in the summer.

Whats up with all the Gin lovers? That is my mom's go to but it just tastes like an evergreen tree to me.
gatorade makes me so sick when I drink stuff with it. The older i get the more I need less sugar in drinks.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
My go to is a Manhattan (with homemade maraschino cherries). But, when I want something different I go with:

Colorado Bulldog (for coffee lovers): Vodka, Coffee (or Kahlua), cream, and a splash of cola.
Bourbon Root Beer Float: Bourbon, Rootbeer, & Ice Cream (or just cream works too).

Our "invention" freshman year at ISU was Tang & 99 Bananas Schnaaps...kinda sort of tasted like Juicy Fruit gum.

• Informative

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Does Welch Ave Station still do Flaming Dr. Peppers? (Amaretto with 151 on top in a shot glass, light on fire, drop into a glass of beer and chug.)

For something simpler when Vanilla Cokes weren't widespread, I liked mixing vanilla liquor into my Coke.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
Vodka and Gatorade sounds like something a teenager would attempt to drink when their parents are out of town. Is this actually good? or is G just used to mask the vodka?

LOL I like the white G (cherry I think) I also dont mind the flavor of vodka so I guess its hard for me to answer that.

Edit: Also helps ease the hangover

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
Truth. Also, if evergreen is all you're getting, you're drinking crappy gin.
Gin is the best liquor there is.

Not trying to be a D***, but is it an acquired taste? Or and old person taste? I am 33 and everyone I know that drinks Gin is older. I have tried and just don't like it.

P.S. My mom drinks either Beefeaters? or Seagrams. Don"t know if that is bad gin or not.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not trying to be a D***, but is it an acquired taste? Or and old person taste? I am 33 and everyone I know that drinks Gin is older. I have tried and just don't like it.

P.S. My mom drinks either Beefeaters? or Seagrams. Don"t know if that is bad gin or not.
I suppose it's acquired. I started drinking it in my mid twenties. I'll admit that I find the idea of the classic G&T to be a little more sophisticated than some other drinks, but it's also just a really, really good cocktail. Refreshing and clean. You can drink them in any season. Never go out of style and every bartender knows how to make one. ItsI as good as it gets for me.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Old Fashioned but with some ground rules, to make it more obscure

2 shots Whiskey/Rye - Woodford Reserve or Bullit Rye are my favs
Agastino bitters - if you can find some orange bitters, a dash or two also
NO simple syrup, Molasses (tsp) is wonderful or muddled raw sugar cubes (2)
One large ice cube, like the 2 inch cubes
Twisted orange peel

Mix with ice, strain, pour into glass with the large ice cube, wipe the rim with the peel

Toast Don Draper