Iowa State Uniform Discussions

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Per 2016-17 Rules Book

b. Color
1. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and design.

2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.

3. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been satisfied
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the visiting team is of a contrasting color. Rule 1 / The Game, Field, Players and Equipment FR-23 4. If on the kickoff at the start of each half, the visiting team wears a colored jersey in violation of the condition

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Amazing how much better our helmets look just by changing from the gray facemask to cardinal. Not crazy about the black chinstraps, but I assume it will look better with the collar and shoes/socks.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Amazing how much better our helmets look just by changing from the gray facemask to cardinal. Not crazy about the black chinstraps, but I assume it will look better with the collar and shoes/socks.

Yeah, the black chinstraps are a unique approach.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'd like it if CyHawk uniforms in both football and basketball was like we had done for a few years in bball, cardinal vs. black, regardless of game site (UI can wear its usual B-B-Yellow).

I don't expect it to happen (I think we'll see all-white at Iowa this season).

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Do you think they will break out a colored I-State logo on the black helmets? I'm not sure what I'd think of it.
I think and hope they will. It will look fine on black, much better than the bland white I-State logo on black. No ISU color, no soul.
Black HELmets a 2018 CYCLONES.jpg
What would look even cooler is if they used Red chrome facemask on the black helmet w/ the right combination. (I don't really know if the red facemask on the red chrome helmet is any different from the standard red facemask on red helmet). But if they had chrome red facemask it would look fantastic on black!

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I think and hope they will. It will look fine on black, much better than the bland white I-State logo on black. No ISU color, no soul.
View attachment 57521
What would look even cooler is if they used Red chrome facemask on the black helmet w/ the right combination. (I don't really know if the red facemask on the red chrome helmet is any different from the standard red facemask on red helmet). But if they had chrome red facemask it would look fantastic on black!

Yeah, I think all those look better than the silver I-State!

• Agree
Reactions: k123 and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Even the image on the "Countdown to Kickoff" on this site makes me shake my head as to why Iowa State DOESN'T have yellow/gold helmets:

View attachment 57513

It's such a good look. Can't believe it is NOT an option. Nor has it been an option for 20 years.
I can't disagree. I will say it again> I'd love to have a gold helmet option but now having 4 helmet colors (red, white, black, chrome red) makes it more unlikely that we will have a gold helmet soon. Four helmets are difficult to maintain, five would be harder, more expensive, but certainly not impossible this day and age (see Oklahoma State, Oregon, etc). But there are only so many combinations to go around anyway.

That's why I think a short term fix for next year would be to add back our gold pant into the mix. Sure, get a gold helmet if you want also, but get the gold pants.
2019 uni set. Cy Uniforms 2018  d4a 2019 unis Yel pant added CYCLONES.jpg

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Even the image on the "Countdown to Kickoff" on this site makes me shake my head as to why Iowa State DOESN'T have yellow/gold helmets:

It's such a good look. Can't believe it is NOT an option. Nor has it been an option for 20 years.

I can't disagree. I will say it again> I'd love to have a gold helmet option but now having 4 helmet colors (red, white, black, chrome red) makes it more unlikely that we will have a gold helmet soon. Four helmets are difficult to maintain, five would be harder, more expensive, but certainly not impossible this day and age (see Oklahoma State, Oregon, etc). But there are only so many combinations to go around anyway.

That's why I think a short term fix for next year would be to add back our gold pant into the mix. Sure, get a gold helmet if you want also, but get the gold pants.
2019 uni set. View attachment 57526

...especially when you see the old yellow pants and white jersey for practice...and imagine with a white helmet. Oh well, some people will never be happy! :) (<--looks in mirror) the new unis will be nice this year, and hopefully gold pants and helmets will be added in coming years. (I can skip a gold jersey if it means all gold - w/g/w would be nice though...a lot of the recruit locker room pics featured prior gold one, FWIW.) Anyway, Go Fighting Blood Clots this weekend!

bigbert41

Jan 29, 2015
I have a question.

Why don't they put the chrome "I State" logo on the red helmets we are wearing tomorrow? Would be a much better look.

• Disagree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron