Good IPA's?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Dangerous Man has such a great variety of beer on tap all the time. The tap room is really cool but it is usually a bit overcrowded. One big advantage is the pizza at Young Joni next door is incredible.

I think you like the wheat beer (something I'm starting to come around to) and if you like Belgium style, I'd recommend you try Boom Island. The location is a little sketchy but the beers are really complex. There's also a pole dancing school in an attached building.
Boom Island is currently shut down while they look for a new location. The location was a little too sketchy.

http://www.startribune.com/boom-island-brewing-to-relocate/493009631/

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Dangerous Man has such a great variety of beer on tap all the time. The tap room is really cool but it is usually a bit overcrowded. One big advantage is the pizza at Young Joni next door is incredible.

I think you like the wheat beer (something I'm starting to come around to) and if you like Belgium style, I'd recommend you try Boom Island. The location is a little sketchy but the beers are really complex. There's also a pole dancing school in an attached building.
Second the Young Joni shout out. Top of the line 'za. There is also a speakeasy in between Dangerous Man and Young Joni (in Young Joni's building along the alleyway, there is a Red light that indicates it at night). That's a whole 'nother discussion, but thought that was really cool when we went there a few weeks back.

Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Second the Young Joni shout out. Top of the line 'za. There is also a speakeasy in between Dangerous Man and Young Joni (in Young Joni's building along the alleyway, there is a Red light that indicates it at night). That's a whole 'nother discussion, but thought that was really cool when we went there a few weeks back.
We've tried the speakeasy a couple of times but the wait's always been about 45 minutes. In 45 minutes I'd have to use the bathroom twice and probably fall asleep.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I wonder if we have ever unknowingly been in the same place. Sounds like we hangout at a lot of the same spots!

Reactions: srjclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Based on beer, ambiance, both?

The best time I've had was at Flat Earth. The beer was okay, but that place was rockin!

Beer. As others have said, the ambiance is fine, but not unique.

I actually think Dangerous Man is pretty overrated, on both fronts. Steel Toe makes really good beer, IMO, but have a "meh" tap room.

Reactions: Macloney

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My favorite IPA is Pompeii by TG. Maybe King Sue, but that's much harder to find. Todd and Abrasive by Surly are solid as well. Actually Furious too.

You could do worse than Des Moines IPA by Confluence, but it's on a tier down from the others for me. I'm not a West Coast IPA guy, so I prefer some of their others a little more (Extinction Event, Rock Dodger, etc).

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You know, the couple of beers I've had at the Ciderwerks place have been really good.

On a sort of related note, has anybody else tried the Tap Wall at Can Can Wonderland? I thought it was fun but I'm glad I our kids were along or I could've ended up spending a lot of money there.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
"Spacedust IPA". Elusian?? Some brewery out of the Pacific Northwest.

Pretty good beer IMO. .

It has a hop with a face blowing spacedust on the label. Trippy dude.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
"Spacedust IPA". Elusian?? Some brewery out of the Pacific Northwest.

Pretty good beer IMO. .

It has a hop with a face blowing spacedust on the label. Trippy dude.
space_dust_IPA1.jpg

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
Anti-hero by Revolution Brewery when you want a piney punch in the taste buds.
All Day IPA by Founders for tailgating and smoking meat all day.
King Sue by Toppling Goliath if you can find it (buy all of it if you do). Really, most of TG's IPAs are good.

Attachments

• King Sue.jpg
    King Sue.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: jcyclonee

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't believe they have made their way into IA liquor stores yet, but

End All IPA and Snaggletooth Bandana by Solemn Oath Brewery in Illinois is very good if anyone happens upon them. May be two of my favorites.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Anti-hero by Revolution Brewery when you want a piney punch in the taste buds.
All Day IPA by Founders for tailgating and smoking meat all day.
King Sue by Toppling Goliath if you can find it (buy all of it if you do). Really, most of TG's IPAs are good.
All Day IPA is my go-to for the lake and tailgating

• Winner
Reactions: s_ford

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
This is the one I bought. I will report back later.
It's a shadow of what it once was. Gone is the malty backbone and gone are the aggressive, piney hops. Surly is definitely positioning themselves to be a much more consumer friendly brewery. Or in other words, everything they set out NOT to be. I can't blame them though, you can't grow your market share brewing beer only a small faction of people are interested in.