Is Self Done at KU

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You guys are basing a lot on the assumption that KU will no longer have talented players coming to play for them. Make that foolish assumption at your own peril and be prepared to be disappointed.
No, it’s basing it on this year’s results exemplifying that KU’s main advantage of being better able to overcome attrition is eroded if not allowed to rampantly cheat.

KU still has more McD AA than anyone, but couldn’t overcome injuries and departures like they would have in the past. Reloading is harder when you can’t buy a Wiggins type

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You guys are basing a lot on the assumption that KU will no longer have talented players coming to play for them. Make that foolish assumption at your own peril and be prepared to be disappointed.

You said the 2018-19 team would be the deepest and most talented team in the Bill Self era and the bench alone would be a top 25 team

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How so? The NCAA has certainly been no friend of KU for the last few years. DeSousa got a longer NCAA ban because his handler got money than the prison sentences handed out to the criminals who gave his handler the money.
Other than suspended players what has happened to KU? Any scholarship reductions, fines, vacated wins?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
They play in front of small crowds in a dump arena....UCLA has fallen so far behind UK, KU, Duke, UNC, I'm not sure they should even be mentioned with those bluebloods. They have a nice shiny new practice facility and their name, that's it.
That's all you need if you get a big name coach. You can turn things around in one year in basketball. Haven't most schools searching for coaches fallen a little behind? I mean that's why they are looking for new coaches.

Reactions: heitclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Cool. Now you just gotta get your players to get motivated to play hard against everyone else so they can finish better than.500 in the Big 12.

ISU gets decimated by injuries and suspensions and goes 4-14 in Big 12 play. Kansas gets decimated by injuries and suspensions and matches ISU's best Big 12 record of 12-6 that they have achieved in this greatest stretch of prolonged success in program history.

Wrap your brain around that. Our worst conference record in 30 seasons just matched ISU's BEST conference performance since 2001. Oh no, poor us. We're spiraling out of control </sarcasm>

I think we will be just fine. Young talent gets older and improves.
Awww he's sensitive. It's ok buddy, you will buy your way back to the top like you always do. We will still be there beating you every year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
No, it’s basing it on this year’s results exemplifying that KU’s main advantage of being better able to overcome attrition is eroded if not allowed to rampantly cheat.

KU still has more McD AA than anyone, but couldn’t overcome injuries and departures like they would have in the past. Reloading is harder when you can’t buy a Wiggins type

Funny thing is though, most of their best years recently have come because of 3 and 4 year guys that weren't McD AAs.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think you're going to be disappointed on your expectation of a bowl game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Funny thing is though, most of their best years recently have come because of 3 and 4 year guys that weren't McD AAs.
Augmented by big time newcomers.

Winning 14 in a row, are you delineating by tournament success? That’s a crapshoot.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Didn't say it wasn't accurate. Just seems like picking 18 year history to compareversus say 15 or 20 seemed rather.......... random.
I didn't pick a random number. I took the number of losses that Kansas had in Big 12 play this year (6) and went through Iowa State's season by season results until I came to a season that was better than that (the 00-01 season) and then said "since 2001". That's how a sentence structured "our worst (fill in the blank) was as good as your best (fill in the blank) since (fill in the blank)" works.

Good grief, am I in the Twilight Zone? How do you not understand this?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/since

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Augmented by big time newcomers.

Winning 14 in a row, are you delineating by tournament success? That’s a crapshoot.

I’m thinking about the team that went to the title game with juniors and seniors and their bench was a couple of scrubs. And the a couple years ago with Lucas, Mason, Graham, Ellis. The next year did have Jackson as a huge impact guy though.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ku was only 2 games short of qualifying for a bowl game last year. I feel confident they have improved 2 games since the end of last season.
For reference:
Not a single 5 win team played in a bowl last year, the year before, two did in 16-17, three did in 15-16, none in 14-15, none in 13-14, none in 12-13....

So, if you are expecting Kansas to be picked because they won 5 games, that's incredibly optimistic. Your fan base doesn't show up to home games now, has no travel street cred, and you assume a bowl committee would pick them over a (small chance) different 5 win team?

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I’m thinking about the team that went to the title game with juniors and seniors and their bench was a couple of scrubs. And the a couple years ago with Lucas, Mason, Graham, Ellis. The next year did have Jackson as a huge impact guy though.
Prior to last year they hadn’t been past the EE since 2011-12. That year the lowest recruit in their starting five was #77, which is pretty standard roster for Self imo.

I’m not asserting he’s ever had elite recruiting, although he has been fortunate to have the winning bid for several impact freshman that were key in winning/stealing 14 regular seasons in a row. I’m contending that a degradation in recruiting is likely to occur, which could have significant impact on KU having such consistent success

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

We have never had to overcome even close to this level of roster upheaval before. Honestly, I am impressed that we did as well as we did.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Prior to last year they hadn’t been past the EE since 2011-12. That year the lowest recruit in their starting five was #77, which is pretty standard roster for Self imo.

I’m not asserting he’s ever had elite recruiting, although he has been fortunate to have the winning bid for several impact freshman that were key in winning/stealing 14 regular seasons in a row. I’m contending that a degradation in recruiting is likely to occur, which could have significant impact on KU having such consistent success
Kansas was good before they were getting in on top 10 talent and they will be good if they are no longer getting top 10 talent.

Frankly, Self had better results in the years where he doesn't have elite recruits. Less roster turnover, multiyear guys that know the defense better. Sign me up for that again, please.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We have never had to overcome even close to this level of roster upheaval before. Honestly, I am impressed that we did as well as we did.
Right, luck has gone a long ways, too, not just cheating.

But let’s also not forget all but the Doke injury is related to cheating. Vick would have been gone had KU been able to bid for recruits as normal, and De Silvio available had KU’s recruiting shadiness not been made public.

Last edited: