Why do we even play UNI anymore?

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
UNI fans and alum think so highly of ISU and they like the payoff

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This game wasn't so much about UNI playing great. It was more about poor offensive consistency by the Clones. Our o-line play was disappointing based on my view at a bar.

IMO playing a decent opponent before the Iowa game is better prep than playing a complete patsy.

I have no issue with ISU playing UNI in FB or hoops- we just need to bring it

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
a top 25 team shouldn't have to worry about UNI. Dodging FCS teams is a bad look.

Which is part of the reason why its really DUMB to play this game. The top FCS teams are usually 40-60 in Sagarin. But everyone acts like they are not even close to the Top 100. Then throw in that its an in state rival and coach that hates you, makes it even worse. There is a reason why ISU has one of the TWO most loses to FCS teams in the Country.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I agree with both sides. We shouldn’t have to dodge UNI, but if you can, why not. Pollard will always schedule them every two years to help them out though.

Schedule a Towson or someone ******. It allows you to get backups some reps and helps prevents injury. Newell never would’ve got hurt in OT if that was case.

Why are we helping UNI? That pretty much proves the OP's point. This is a bonus to UNI.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Props to UNI, but ISU’s OL was just garbage for long stretches today. If you want to look on the bright side, our OL problems were exposed today as they would not have been if we played a true patsy. Plus have 2 weeks to fix before TOE. But still, a terrible look.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm sure theres some in state pressure, it fills the stands up, and the UNI AD and JP are very close.

That's fine, but let's not pretend that it would be the most logically superior way to schedule. That would be how the SEC does things. Play the worst team in the country in like week 8.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I was actually pretty impressed with UNI today. Unfortunately for them though they will lay some eggs in their conference like they always do.

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
Listen guys, take this in.
We play UNI because its always a sell out. we are in the Big 12 and they are in the MVC. We should win. It's great competition! It is better to play them than blowing out some cupcake that wouldn't make a good practice. Our defense looked pretty good for the most part. UNI had some big plays to keep drives going. Now our offense, Think about this... Brock didn't run once that I remember. We didn't see Re'al Mitchell, I am thinking we will use him as some sort of wildcat RPO look. Call him a secret weapon maybe. How many times did we throw it deep? Not many. How many trick or fancy plays? slim to none. How many RPO's not many. ALL THIS FOR A REASON. Just get the win in the first game. Don't show the Hawks anything. be plain. HELLOOOOO!?!?!? That will be a tougher game than UNI and we will open up the playbook. We all wanted a 30 point blow out and probably could have scored more with different plays that we didn't want to use. I am not worried one bit!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Listen guys, take this in.
We play UNI because its always a sell out. we are in the Big 12 and they are in the MVC. We should win. It's great competition! It is better to play them than blowing out some cupcake that wouldn't make a good practice. Our defense looked pretty good for the most part. UNI had some big plays to keep drives going. Now our offense, Think about this... Brock didn't run once that I remember. We didn't see Re'al Mitchell, I am thinking we will use him as some sort of wildcat RPO look. Call him a secret weapon maybe. How many times did we throw it deep? Not many. How many trick or fancy plays? slim to none. How many RPO's not many. ALL THIS FOR A REASON. Just get the win in the first game. Don't show the Hawks anything. be plain. HELLOOOOO!?!?!? That will be a tougher game than UNI and we will open up the playbook. We all wanted a 30 point blow out and probably could have scored more with different plays that we didn't want to use. I am not worried one bit!

We would sell the home opener out against St Franics of Hoth. Things have changed.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I hate playing UNI but still can’t make excuses. A close game should be a 7 points. Not a 3 OT nail biter. Hope they’re humbled and come out swinging against Iowa.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
After calming down for a little while, several things occur to me. One, UNI is good. Did we show all that we had today? I hope not. A couple of years ago, we would not have won a game like this. It seems like the team held together and believed that they would win. Finally, we are going to get everyone's A game. We are now the hunted and our work becomes harder.

If there was ever a year for a week off early in the season, this is it.

• Agree
Reactions: Naddafinga

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
This thread is already so chock full of clichés it’s hilarious.

1) Why do we play UNI? We nothing to gain and everything to lose.

The UNI game is a huge draw and far better at gauging our team than playing against any other FCS school.

2) Maybe they played conservatively and didn’t show the whole playbook.

I can’t imagine a situation where this is remotely true. At worst, this is reflective of a team that’s taken a step backward and will not win as many games as we hoped this season, at best, this is a wake up call for the coaches and players to get their **** together and improve.

3) Maybe this is a sign that UNI is actually really good and that they’ll have a great season

Maybe so, maybe not. It doesn’t really matter how good/bad they are, because what it all boils down to is that everyone is so unproven at this point in the season that these games really should not have any bearing on how the rest of the season goes.

ISU started 2-3 last season going into the WVU upset. I don’t have the exact records in mind, but there are years where UNI beat or lost a close game to ISU and proceeded to stumble their way through the rest of the year.

So much of this conversation is built on prognostication that it doesn’t really matter, as long as the team sticks to Campbell’s MO about “The Process” and uses each and every game (win or lose) as a learning experience.

Are they a worse team than last year? I have no idea. That’s up to the guys on the team. If they let this loss get to them, they very well might be. If they don’t, then it could get better. It’s only been one game. Still 11+ left to be played.