Gas Prices and big difference

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That QuikTrip on 1st always seems to have really low prices. That and Sams and Fleet farm seem to stay low as well.

Correct. I can't speak to Sam's but QT is always quite low, sometimes the same as Fleet Farm or perhaps 2-3 cents higher. And like Fleet Farm, nearby stations don't match QT either.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That's for regular, 87 octane E-10 for the Altoona Murphy's.
Yeah it makes no sense to me. I usually go up to Ankeny on my way back from work and fill up. It really makes a difference. The $0.33 difference right now means about $3.30 in savings when I fill up as I usually get a little more than 10 gallons. When you factor in how far out of the way it is you save a decent amount. That’s 1.5 gallons which could get me like 60 miles on my MPG right now.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I wonder if the prices that are listed at $2.13 are for E15 or E85

I used to be a loyal user of Gas Buddy but gave up on it as people reporting prices didn't seem to look at which octane or ethanol content they were reporting on and they were always messed up.

Maybe I will try and get back into it.

• Agree
Reactions: isu_oak and Trice

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A local monopoly at the wholesale level would make the most sense.

This, incidentally, was part of the reason why the arrival of "big box" retailers was a boon to the American consumer -- mom 'n' pop Main Street establishments have a warm, fuzzy glow of nostalgia about them nowadays, but they could be pretty cutthroat about segmenting the market between themselves (one store for clothes, one store for meat, one store for produce, etc.) and extracting those monopoly rents from their local areas.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I used to be a loyal user of Gas Buddy but gave up on it as people reporting prices didn't seem to look at which octane or ethanol content they were reporting on and they were always messed up.

In their defense we have so many damn blends it's a PITA to keep track of them all and what your car can't and can't take.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Sometimes when I think about it I'll put in 'gas prices' in Google maps on my phone. Doesn't have prices for every station all the time, but it's been helpful at times.

Might not help your problem with being specific enough, though. I'm usually just rocking the regular 87 super unleaded.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Sometimes when I think about it I'll put in 'gas prices' in Google maps on my phone. Doesn't have prices for every station all the time, but it's been helpful at times.

Might not help your problem with being specific enough, though. I'm usually just rocking the regular 87 super unleaded.

Would depend on where Google get's their data from. I believe that Waze uses GasBuddy as well. It generally doesn't matter to me what the price is as at least around CR they are fairly stable from station to station. There are a few that are lower and higher always though.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'd always heard there is a meeting at a coffee shop every Monday with the folks who own the Ames Gas Stations and they set prices there. No idea if it is true, but that is what I always tell people.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Prices were usually the same in Ankeny at any station until Sam's came in. They were usually 10-15 cents lower than any other Ankeny gas station. When Fleet Farm built right next to Sam's they had a price war. For that first year those two would be almost 20 cents lower than anywhere else.

When Wal-Mart installed its own gas station, the two Casey's that straddle the McDonald's in Ankeny found they finally had to match that station. The Casey's right over the Oralabour bridge doesn't lower its price.

Now Kwik Star just opened along Oralabour in Ankeny and they've got lower prices too. Their 88 octane E10 gas is cheaper ($2.10-$2.12) than everyone else's 87 E10. If you joined their rewards program you got another 10 cents off. Ankeny is getting a second Kwik Star in the coming months along 36th Street. Great stores! Cheaper milk, eggs, butter and stuff like that.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Everyone needs to remember that half of Ames population are not actual Ames residents. So many are leaving town every weekend or so and that creates a decent demand but also stations are just able to charge more.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't it Gary Thompson's company that delivers fuel to pretty much every gas station in town? The distributor sets the prices, don't they?

Don't you dare blame the Roland Rocket!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Couldn't even tell you what gas is priced at here in the Twin Cities. :confused:

Car gets to "E" and I just pull in and fill up. I could check the rumpled receipt in the center counsel.

Edit: I do know a decent French rosé runs the equivalent of $75/gallon. :rolleyes:

Same here. Saving .10/gal for the whopping $1.50 it will save me isn't as important as my time.

Get off my lawn! The stepping over dollars to pick up dimes on this site will never cease to amaze me.

"The food isn't very good, but the portions are huge."