Gas Prices and big difference

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Does anyone know why gas prices are 25 cents more in Ames and Boone area compared to Slater and Madrid for the Super Unleaded? Not gonna lie but that is total ridiculous and price gauging at its finest as !

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Does anyone know why gas prices are 25 cents more in Ames and Boone area compared to Slater and Madrid for the Super Unleaded? Not gonna lie but that is total ridiculous and price gauging at its finest as !

No idea other than they know they can put those prices up and people will pay it. For as long as I can remember Ames has always been higher than most of the Des Moines area.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Because that’s what they have people who live in those areas trained to pay.

Watch it go up significantly over the next two weeks.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Isn't it Gary Thompson's company that delivers fuel to pretty much every gas station in town? The distributor sets the prices, don't they?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
There’s a 25 cent different between Ankeny and the western suburbs. That makes even less sense. It’s like 10-15 even from Ankeny to Johnston/Grimes.

• Useful
Reactions: FinalFourCy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think Sams in Ames has been pretty fairly priced.
Hope the new Fleet Farm puts pressure on the others as well.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
There’s a 25 cent different between Ankeny and the western suburbs. That makes even less sense. It’s like 10-15 even from Ankeny to Johnston/Grimes.

It can be a 7- to 10-cent difference even from the north to the south side of Ankeny alone.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Isn't it Gary Thompson's company that delivers fuel to pretty much every gas station in town? The distributor sets the prices, don't they?

Assuming all stations put the same markup on it. In my neck of the woods, I have 2 Circle K stations 3 miles away from my house in opposite directions. The one to the north is consistently a dime or more cheaper than the one to the south. The one to the south is on a major road. The one to the north is not.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think Sams in Ames has been pretty fairly priced.
Hope the new Fleet Farm puts pressure on the others as well.

I'm not sure that's been the case with the Ankeny store. It's usually the cheapest in town and perhaps it has put some downward pressure on nearby gas stations, but they don't even attempt to match it. FF is always 5-7 cents cheaper.

CyVoodoo

Dec 7, 2009
The East side of Des Moines has always been cheaper than the west side. I believe part of the answer is they have a terminal / pipeline on that side. But just learn where prices are lower and fill up there. Just dont go too far out of the way as it doesn't make a big difference.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Ames and Iowa City are always seem to be the highest price.

Des Moines and Clear Lake are usually pretty cheap and Fort Dodge is also sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What octane and with or without ethanol?

Our car only uses premium, no ethanol, and we don’t see as much variance in pricing along the 380 corridor.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I doubt if it is price gouging. There is too much competition in the area for that. My guess is that the price that they are paying to fill their underground barrels has plummeted recently and that some stores are trying to get what they can for the higher priced gas that remains in their barrels so they don't lose money.

Here is a map of the prices in the area. There really is an unusually large range of prices right now.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=50310&fuel=1

Edit: My map link didn't work. This link is to the gas buddy page and you can go to the map from there.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
As someone that just drove all over the state of Iowa during the labor day weekend most places are in the $2.38-$2.48 range for E-10. Ankeny, Altoona, and Clear Lake along the interstate are always low spots especially when prices are falling. I've heard its a combination of volume, competition and potentially being closer for the distribution tanker. It's crazy because once you go a few miles west of I80/I35 prices go back up and are often similar to those in Ames, Boone, Story City, Ellsworth, and many other areas. Difficult to understand gas prices, but they must be market driven and depend on different distributors. Sam's in Ames is usually about the same as the prices near the interstate in Ankeny.

Last edited:

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Traveling in our RV. Gas as low as 2.04 in Cape Girardeau, MO. We use an app called Gas Buddy where people input gas prices to share with others. Really helps us find the best price.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm