• Poll closed .

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do specials count?

Because Bo Burnham’s “Inside” was one of the most relatable performances in the history of comedy IMO.

Comedians are gonna be controversial and knowing CF it’s just gonna skew older like the Sitcom one.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
This probably won’t resonate with most here but the Blue Collar Comedy guys were great. Foxworthy, Engvall, White, and Larry the cable guy. They proved you don’t need to be explicit to be funny. Disclaimer, I’m a middle aged white dude who grew up in Iowa. They would be solid 8/9 seeds. That being said, my number 1 seeds would be: Murphy, Carlin, Rock, and Pryor.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This probably won’t resonate with most here but the Blue Collar Comedy guys were great. Foxworthy, Engvall, White, and Larry the cable guy. They proved you don’t need to be explicit to be funny. Disclaimer, I’m a middle aged white dude who grew up in Iowa. They would be solid 8/9 seeds. That being said, my number 1 seeds would be: Murphy, Carlin, Rock, and Pryor.

Agree, I'd probably rank them Engvall, Foxworthy, White, Larry. Know most would have foxworthy first but Engvall just hits right with me more.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I love the unexpected ethical twist in this post.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This kind of makes my point I was trying to make earlier. None of those comedians listed peaked in the last 20 years. Maybe Chappelle but he started popping off in the mid 90's. It would be heavily biased based on the age of the people voting.
I'm hoping the majority of CFers didn't just stop listening to stand-up, but I guess we'll see. I'm sure some will get locked into their comfy favorites, but I hope people don't just vote for the familiar without listening to some clips of the competition. There are so many fantastic new comedians, so matchups will be the difference maker for me.

Longevity is going to be polarizing for some. Carlin was fantastic for so long, but he became more bitter than funny at the end. Eddie Murphy would have been in my final 4 20-25 years ago, but I don't think he is still there today.

Gaffigan was one of my favorites, but I saw him live a few years ago and he's kinda become a caricature of himself. Meanwhile, Bargatze has become the new 'clean' comedian that I love, but if these two faced off, do I punish or reward Gaffigan for doing it longer? Meanwhile, someone like Hedberg had some absolutely great stuff, but we'll never know how his material would have been had he been going for another 10-15 years.

Reactions: cyclones500

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I'm hoping the majority of CFers didn't just stop listening to stand-up

Will any wimmins be innit, or are they getting the short end of the...schtick?

For example...Moms Mabley.

Also, if Flip Wilson doesn't make the cut...remember Geraldine Jones?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
How’s about best poster on CF?

It's been almost 10 years but if I recall we tried that once and couldn't finish it because it got very toxic.

Talk about a polarizing topic!!!

Know it well because I headed it up. People couldn't handle it and it got squashed. As the person organizing it I took the failure of it hard to the point where it got me very depressed to the point I very much considered ending things.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
For the older generation on here can someone point me to what Lenny Bruce's best stuff to listen to is? I hear about him being a comedy great, but listened to his Carnegie Hall show and didn't find much amusing.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'd help with the committee if it's stand up comedians. But I'll only be of any use during work hours and I will do my damnedest to make John Mulaney a 1 seed.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron