SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
PG: Buckley
SG: Diante
SF: Lucca
PF: JVB
C/PF: Craig

will be pretty small and quick team. some good shooters too. im not really sure what to expect from them

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Brackins...Hamilton backup
AT...Vanderbeken backup
Lucca...Haluska backup
DG(point)...Buckey Backup
Petey....Wes backup(will play more than most think)

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
PG: Buckley
SG: Diante
SF: Lucca
PF: JVB
C/PF: Craig

will be pretty small and quick team. some good shooters too. im not really sure what to expect from them

I like this line up alot more then any line up with AT in it.

My starting 5

PG - Petey
SG - Haluska
SF - Lucca
PF - JVB
C - Brackins

I disagree with the statement that AT has enough talent on the defensive end to justify his starting.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I like this line up alot more then any line up with AT in it.

My starting 5

PG - Petey
SG - Haluska
SF - Lucca
PF - JVB
C - Brackins

I disagree with the statement that AT has enough talent on the defensive end to justify his starting.

Vanderbeken will not play more than 10-15 minutes...too soft. Will only see time because he can knock down the three. Look at it this way. AT for defense...Vanderbeken for offense. You will not play for Mac if you can't play defense.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I'm really wondering how GMac will handle the playing time this season.

Does he play the veteran guys like Petersen, Haluska and Thompson and try to put together as many wins as possible this season. Or does he play Buckley, Pomlee, Hamilton, Boozer and Mann and possibly cost the team a few wins, but prepare the young guys better for the future.

I would rather see him play the young guys, but I also know GMac certainly doesn't want another losing season this year.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
If AT is in the game on the offensive end, I see quite a bit of double teaming and trapping coming from other post defenders on Brackins. I would also imagine we will see a lot of zone until we prove that we can penetrate and kick or knock down the open three.

I'm just not sold on AT. Last season he was the guy that was going to set the world on fire. There was a lot of hype which I never understood and he didn't live up to it, which is fine because I think it was unfounded. However, if he is our best option at the four we will have alot of problems rebounding and scoring in the post. I am still not sold that his defense is that great either.

AT Line from Last Season

2.1 PPG
35% FG
42% FT
2.0 RPG

He did have 12 blocks on the season.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

Does he play the veteran guys like Petersen, Haluska and Thompson and try to put together as many wins as possible this season. Or does he play Buckley, Pomlee, Hamilton, Boozer and Mann and possibly cost the team a few wins, but prepare the young guys better for the future.

I would rather see him play the young guys, but I also know GMac certainly doesn't want another losing season this year.

I would assume he isn't thinking about anything but this season. If he had cashed this season in and has started thinking about building the "young guys" for two years from now, we would be really screwed. He is going to put the best players on the court night in and night out.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Petey works his butt off and does the best he can with the tools he was given. I respect him a ton.

but.........

if he or any of the other guards cross the half court line and dribble straight to the corner into a trap like they did every other trip down the court last year, I will throw my TV off the stand!!!!! That was frustrating.

I am now finished venting. New year, new team, let's go state!

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I hope we have recruited good enough players that AT barely has to play, but afraid that won't happen.

That's funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing about Peterson. We've only got about 27 guards on the roster, can't any of them get him off the floor?

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Wow. This will be tough. I have a feeling we'll have like 5 different starting line ups over the first 5 games. I think we have more depth than last year though. Can't wait to see them in action.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
In my opinion there are only 2 "starters"... Diante and Brackins. The rest of the starting lineup will be determined by who is hot that week and the matchups on the floor. I would like to think that Lucca would be able to start most games, but having a spark coming off the bench wouldn't be bad either. There are many players who don't start games but make a great impact by coming off the bench.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Petey works his butt off and does the best he can with the tools he was given. I respect him a ton.

but.........

if he or any of the other guards cross the half court line and dribble straight to the corner into a trap like they did every other trip down the court last year, I will throw my TV off the stand!!!!! That was frustrating.

I am now finished venting. New year, new team, let's go state!

I don't mean to get personal here, but I think you have some rage issues. With my past, I know the warning signs when I see them. Please get some help. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing about Peterson. We've only got about 27 guards on the roster, can't any of them get him off the floor?

He's the only one with starting experience in the Big XII. I'm sure the incoming freshman are great, but they need time to develop and learn the system.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It should make for some versatile lineups on the floor...We should be able to find some matchup problems for the opponent.

I agree. But to really shine, and I don't know what I mean by "shine," a few things need to happen:
- Brackins and DG need to be as good as they can be
- Hamilton needs to develop a mean streak
- JVB needs to toughen up
- Lucca NEEDS to be healthy
- Petey needs to stick to the things he does best
- Sean needs to be the Sean we saw the last half of last season.
- Someone unexpected needs to be a big surpirse (maybe it's Wes as you mentioned earlier)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I think we need the wins since this is our third restart this year. Remember the HB factor.