~ Time to name your starting 5 ~

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I pick whomever GMac puts out there.

Sorry wrong answer...you may not have noticed, but this message board, as a collective, is a much better coach than any coach in the country. That gives us the ability to make claims and set starting line-ups.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree. But to really shine, and I don't know what I mean by "shine," a few things need to happen:
- Brackins - Needs to be the man and DG Get into the paint need to be as good as they can be
- Hamilton needs to develop a mean streak
- JVB needs to toughen up Good luck...but he can definately shoot the rock.
- Lucca NEEDS to be healthy
- Petey needs to stick to the things he does best
- Sean needs to be the Sean we saw the last half of last season.
- Someone unexpected needs to be a big surpirse (maybe it's Wes as you mentioned earlier) I think fans are going to end up loving this kid...can flat out play.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
There is nothing wrong with Peterson playing. He is a legit Big 12 guard. He is not, however, a legit Big 12 point guard. If we are dependent on him as a ball handler, we are in big, big trouble. If we can get him off the ball spotting up and being a secondary ball handler, he will be very important to this team.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You are right. The inside players need to get much more aggressive for us to have a good season.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
There is nothing wrong with Peterson playing. He is a legit Big 12 guard. He is not, however, a legit Big 12 point guard. If we are dependent on him as a ball handler, we are in big, big trouble. If we can get him off the ball spotting up and being a secondary ball handler, he will be very important to this team.

I remember how horrible Mike Nurse was as a PG, and how great he was as a 2 guard.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry wrong answer...you may not have noticed, but this message board, as a collective, is a much better coach than any coach in the country. That gives us the ability to make claims and set starting line-ups.

That's all well and good. And, of course, you're right. :wink:

But I don't know squat about the new kids. And I also am relatively sure the line-up will change about a dozen times over a baker's dozen games.

I will put forth that I'm 99% sure Brackins will crack the starting lineup.

(daring, aren't I?)

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I know he is a long shot. But I figured I would go out on a limb. I must admit, I am pretty disappointed to see that he hasn't put on much weight since last season. I figured with his frame and by looking at his brother that he would be around 210 this season.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think Boozer can pull off the Ole' and hack defense just as well as Petey can. He might even be able to keep a guy in front of him.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

Petey is not a 2G. He really isn't even a PG. But in the Big 12, unless you are Jake Sullivan if you are 5'10 you are not going to consistenly get a shot off and have a good look at the rim. Especially if you don't have a PG that can penetrate and has a defense collapse on them.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
KG - You talk about JVB being a shooter with no Defense. He sounds alot like Mike Evanovich, would that be a fair comparison. If so I would like to change my starting line up.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
petey brings consistancy and good shooting. my bet is that he starts until near conference season then we realize we need better size and athleticism and buckley will take over. petey will still get his fair share

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
KG - You talk about JVB being a shooter with no Defense. He sounds alot like Mike Evanovich, would that be a fair comparison. If so I would like to change my starting line up.
Can't say I'm familar enough with his game to compare. Vanberbeken's one and only job is to keep Brackins from being double teamed, so you will see him hovering over the three point line.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Petey is not a 2G. He really isn't even a PG. But in the Big 12, unless you are Jake Sullivan if you are 5'10 you are not going to consistenly get a shot off and have a good look at the rim. Especially if you don't have a PG that can penetrate and has a defense collapse on them.

See Garrett and Buckley.

Petey got plenty of 3's off last year playing the 1, he will get more and better looks playing off the ball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron