Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
13 and 6 is a massive impact for a freshman in the Big 12. This year there are currently two freshmen in the entire league averaging more than 10 points per game - Jahmi'us Ramsey and Oscar Tshiebwe. Both were also blue chip recruits and both will be onto the NBA this year or next.

A reasonable expectation and successful freshman season for Foster would probably be something like 8-10 ppg and 4 rpg coupled with a shot blocking presence on D.
I'd consider that in the neighborhood of 13 and 6. Given he's still a top 100 guy, but not a top 10 guy, I'd say that would be acceptable from his as a freshman.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It looks like he put in the work on his perimeter game.

And from the video's, his ball handling, he's not going to be Kevin Durant or anything but his game (and body) evolved in the last year, he's much more versatile. If he has similar improvement this offseason, he'll be a factor next year. Between he, Solo and Conditt, you have a wide variety of skills and more length than we've had in the frontcourt since...idk when.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
And from the video's, his ball handling, he's not going to be Kevin Durant or anything but his game (and body) evolved in the last year, he's much more versatile. If he has similar improvement this offseason, he'll be a factor next year. Between he, Solo and Conditt, you have a wide variety of skills and more length than we've had in the frontcourt since...idk when.

I'd love to see Prohm implement a similar play that Self uses with Dotson and Doke. Start Bolton on the left wing and run him through a Foster screen and then a Solo screen. It would be easy for the defenders to get lost when they have to cover Bolton flying towards the rim, Foster possibly going to the rim or the three point line and Solo either going to the rim or settling in for a mid-range jumper. Then I'd park Jackson on the three-point line and have Johnson ready to slash to the rim from the opposite side. You could run that play with a number of successful results.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
You take the great recruits if you can get them. The key is piecing guys around him that will develop and not leave early as well. Prohm knows Xavier's situation and shouldn't be caught off guard if/when he wants to leave in 2 years. If Xavier leaves and at the same time Blackwell and Dubar leave, then you have a problem, but saying "you shouldn't go after high end recruits because they leave early" is pretty outrageous.

I think to add to your point is a key is developing a culture of working to get better. We constantly heard of Ejim, Niang & Long and others creating the culture of putting in the hours in the gym to develop their craft. Yes you need talent, Yes you need talent around you. But to develop the on court chemistry and teamwork it takes to be special takes a culture that breeds it. That is one aspect of coaching that often seems to be overlooked, yet is not just the coaches, but the leadership of key players as well.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Coach Prohm has coached a lot of talented players and have played them too their strengths. A lot of them are in the NBA right now. If you don't think he's played certain guys to their strengths I'd absolutely love to here who exactly and what Coach Prohm could've done better.

I actually don't disagree with your point, but since you asked, who hasn't been played to their strengths?

1) I suggest the experiment with Michael Jacobsen at the 4 with a lot of time on the perimeter wasn't that successful. If, however, you counter that was to get Young more time in the post, then I would say that may have played more to Solomon's strengths.

2) I understand we struggle at the point with Tyrese injured, but Bolton is so loose with the rock in his hands that doesn't seem to play to his strength. He feels like a natural SG, where he can take the guy off the bounce, but to watch him with careless turnovers and then to put his head down and try to drive between two defenders is painful to watch. Again you might counter with who is better? I felt Nixon actually ran the point a bit better, if you can get him to not be so shot happy.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
IThis year has caused so many people to look at the glass half empty and not even think about looking at it half full.

That's only two (pessimist & optimist) types of people. You left out the victims ("Who has been drinking out of my glass?) and the 6 Sigma types ("You have twice the infrastructure necessary for the amount of liquid you have to contain.")

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think to add to your point is a key is developing a culture of working to get better. We constantly heard of Ejim, Niang & Long and others creating the culture of putting in the hours in the gym to develop their craft. Yes you need talent, Yes you need talent around you. But to develop the on court chemistry and teamwork it takes to be special takes a culture that breeds it. That is one aspect of coaching that often seems to be overlooked, yet is not just the coaches, but the leadership of key players as well.
Absolutely. And that's why I like what I'm hearing with Tre Jackson.. There's already been multiple stories about him staying longer than most after practice, getting up extra shots after a game, etc. That's the type of culture that builds strong programs. Other guys feed off of those types of player's work ethic.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I actually don't disagree with your point, but since you asked, who hasn't been played to their strengths?

1) I suggest the experiment with Michael Jacobsen at the 4 with a lot of time on the perimeter wasn't that successful. If, however, you counter that was to get Young more time in the post, then I would say that may have played more to Solomon's strengths.

2) I understand we struggle at the point with Tyrese injured, but Bolton is so loose with the rock in his hands that doesn't seem to play to his strength. He feels like a natural SG, where he can take the guy off the bounce, but to watch him with careless turnovers and then to put his head down and try to drive between two defenders is painful to watch. Again you might counter with who is better? I felt Nixon actually ran the point a bit better, if you can get him to not be so shot happy.

Part of Rasir's problems are due to not being surrounded by many options that the defense fears.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yeah this year is a bit different. Prohm had to experiment at that 4 position and Mike ended up having to take on that role. I think that had more to do with no one else being capable of playing that position and Mike was the least worst of the bunch.

On your second point, I think that although Nixon does have a stronger handle than Bolton, he's such a liability taking care of the ball. Bolton's not head over heals better, but I think Prohm would rather the ball be in his hands a majority of the game than Nixon's. Prohm loves that pick and roll / pick and pop action, and I think he'd rather have Bolton taking it down hill on the defense instead of the constant pull up game Nixon was giving us.

• Agree
Reactions: CyberJJJ