Ever Imagine a World Without Sports?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, "challenging" in the context of routine entertainment preference, I guess.

Yeah it's more of thing that many people have as a kind of 'habit' that they're conditioned to.

It's weird, for sure.

I'm baffled that people see it as some sort of struggle to not have it, may not be able to go on vacation etc.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yesterday, I was hanging on the "at least we have golf" thought, but that went in the crapper too

I have on very rare occasion found myself watching golf. That is usually immediately followed by me taking a hard look at my life.
ESPN be like

giphy.gif

Doubt this matters yet for ESPN.

Pre-COVID-19 ESPN planned programming for April:
- 60% Tom Brady Watch
- 35% Debating whether or not Dak Prescott is a franchise QB
-5% Other

Now, ESPN April programming for April becomes:
- 63% Tom Brady Watch
- 36% Debating whether or not Dak Prescott is a franchise QB
- 1% Other

• Funny
Reactions: CloneGuy8 and GTO

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I don't know. Decent chance that ISU pops up in a few of those games, and always on the wrong end. I'd rather watch caber tossing.

Only thing would be in the big upsets per ISU's seeds, they were really ugly games...not exactly classics.

I'm thinking games featuring future NBA Players, dynasties like early 90's Duke or UNLV from the late 80s, etc.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Live sports coverage excluded, I don't see how this changes ESPN's programming. They didn't talk sports before and am not sure why they would start now.

Pre-virus they found a way to talk about everything but the actual sporting events so they should have plenty to blab about.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Nope. I've never seen Mad Men or The Sopranos. I got a lot of content to burn through before I resort to watching someone else play a video game. Now get the hell off my lawn.
Damn, I wish I had that kind of content to experience for the first time.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Listen, if you don't like baseball, a lot of us live for a good long time each year with no sports.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Listen, if you don't like baseball, a lot of us live for a good long time each year with no sports.

Usually the only kind of dead time for me is mid June after the NBA Finals through right around the end of July when football training camps ramp up.

This is an odd time for sure but you're right; for those of us who don't follow baseball much it isn't the first time we've gone a long time with nothing much going on in the sports world.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah it's more of thing that many people have as a kind of 'habit' that they're conditioned to.

It's weird, for sure.

I'm baffled that people see it as some sort of struggle to not have it, may not be able to go on vacation etc.
Struggle is extreme, but it is okay for people to miss something that provides an escape for them. I’m baffled by people who don’t get that and get all judgmental.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I can get caught up on Better Call Saul, and subsequently the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul movie that just came out on Netflix. Might as well run thru Breaking Bad again too.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I can get caught up on Better Call Saul, and subsequently the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul movie that just came out on Netflix. Might as well run thru Breaking Bad again too.

Good idea. Maybe I'll do the one time monthly charge of $4.99 for AMC Premiere so I can get caught up on Better Call Saul. I've been just waiting for it to be released on Netflix, but desperate times call for desperate measures.