Des Moines High School football

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think you're getting away from your main point and going to get this sucker spiraling off topic.
Whether or not you or I agree with Dowling's policies, it's a private school, and they are legally allowed their "own code of ethics."

Again, I think staying on the topic is best because it's an interesting one.

Agree. What I have found out is they require 5200 signatures to overturn this. There is now a effort to get those sigs. I got invited to a facebook page earlier where they are organizing against taking away from the current stadiums.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
I attended DMPS back in the 70's (Hoover) and at that time, it was the 8 team Des Moines Metro conference, and there were a total of 3 fields (East, Lincoln, and Valley IIRC). So ever week there were 3 Friday night games and 1 Saturday night game. And 5 schools never had a home game. (I believe all schools played their sophomore games at home).
My question is there really a need for a 4000 seat stadium How often do they come close to getting them kind of attendance. Are they adding an extra 2000 seats for 1-2 times a year. Or is this intended to host summer concert series (if we ever see those again) or some other functions. Turning over control to Drake gives them the opportunity to find other ways to generate cash with the facility.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Now that I think about it, we never played a game on our high school campus. It had only a practice field. We shared a football field with another high school and it was located near their campus. Yet, we had great turnout and I always thought of it as our home stadium.

Reactions: aauummm

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Now that I think about it, we never played a game on our high school campus. It had only a practice field. We shared a football field with another high school and it was located near their campus. Yet, we had great turnout and I always thought of it as our home stadium.
Cr wash grad and same experience.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Grew up in CR and Kingston works well for all the schools. Out here in CO most of the stadiums are shared as well and seems to work fine.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I can see both sides of this. There’s something special about having your own stadium, however, in Cedar Rapids the three schools that share Kingston all seem to feel like it’s their home field. You can have as many as four schools share one stadium if you’re willing to play on Thursdays.

It’s certainly not the end of the world like some seem to think. Especially if the combined resources result in better locker rooms, scoreboards, field turf, etc. along with per-school cost savings.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I can see both sides of this. There’s something special about having your own stadium, however, in Cedar Rapids the three schools that share Kingston all seem to feel like it’s their home field. You can have as many as four schools share one stadium if you’re willing to play on Thursdays.

It’s certainly not the end of the world like some seem to think. Especially if the combined resources result in better locker rooms, scoreboards, field turf, etc. along with per-school cost savings.
Plus when wash played Kennedy or Jeff it felt like a home game for both sides.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Agree. What I have found out is they require 5200 signatures to overturn this. There is now a effort to get those sigs. I got invited to a facebook page earlier where they are organizing against taking away from the current stadiums.

5200 sigs to overturn, or 5200 sigs to consider overturning? That seems like a pretty low threshold to up & shut down an already approved item.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Seems like something a bunch of Karens on Facebook are going to get super upset about.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
This should about end football in the Des Moines area. With kids having no home stadium. What a terrible thing this is for communities around Des Moines metro. Glad I am in the suburbs.

https://whotv.com/sports/des-moines...d-with-community-stadium-at-drake-university/

Whats your high school, Mr Suburb?
As a Roughrider grad from the 80s... Both my high school & ISU teams sucked at football. Roosevelt got a bunch better last year & the Clones are riding the best team/coaches combo in our history.

Reactions: aauummm

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Seems like something a bunch of Karens on Facebook are going to get super upset about.

Karen Becky AND Susan

85588ebdb135b73bd5abe713efa700ec.jpg

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Whats your high school, Mr Suburb?
As a Roughrider grad from the 80s... Both my high school & ISU teams sucked at football. Roosevelt got a bunch better last year & the Clones are riding the best team/coaches combo in our history.

Norwalk. We just built a new stadium a few years ago

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but does anyone else feel like the amount that schools (more particularly those in the suburbs) are spending on athletics and facilities has gotten a bit out of hand in recent years?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but does anyone else feel like the amount that schools (more particularly those in the suburbs) are spending on athletics and facilities has gotten a bit out of hand in recent years?

That is because of the formula within the 1 cents sells tax increase passed by each county. That money can only go to physical assists of the district or technology, and may NOT be used for salaries and such.
All these schools have for the most part built brand new building, so now they can use that money on sports facilities throughout their district.
The last thing they would want to do is not spend it, then people would start to get the idea that the school doesn't now need the money, the tax is repealed and the school is hurting down the road when it needs money again.