Prohm Defenders

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
love it.

like I said earlier, not accepting mediocrity, but a college coach’s job is to ultimately prepare his kids for the next level. Prohm is consistently sending his players to the NBA. No scandals, fits ISU culture and is relatively cheap. Let’s play out the season and see what next year brings.

How does Prohm fit ISU culture?

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
We had LE lovers, WM lovers, Mac lovers, DMac lovers, Rhoads lovers.

But there aren't really Prohm lovers. There are Prohm defenders. But not many Prohm lovers.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Not even close to the worst shape.
The WORST SHAPE in my lifetime...in my memory would be Glendon Anderson's last year with 3 or 4 wins on the entire season...It was the last year in the Old Armory...then Iowa State built Hilton Coliseum and HIRED Maury John...who had just won three consecutive Mo Valley Championships...

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
After a night to sleep on it... **** that guy.

It’s maddening that we need to let him completely crater this program because JP gave him a bad extension and we can’t afford the buyout. It is obvious he is a bad fit and a change needs to happen. I am convinced any other D1 coach with 5 or more years experience would be an upgrade on the bench during games.

And so what if he has a 5star PG coming in next year? He had a lottery pick PG on the roster for the last 2 and we vastly underperformed in both seasons. ISU having more talent is not the problem.

He is very lucky that minimal fans if any will be allowed into Hilton this season. The type of fan that braves COVID to watch this crap... i don’t imagine would be outwardly vocal during games. In a regular year, I am pretty sure Prohm and JP would know exactly what the fans think of the state of this program and it would be broadcast on nat’l TV. They get to hide in the dark for most of this year instead.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
At this point, we're not firing him mid-season. Let the rest of the season play out. Cheer for the team (or don't) and make a decision when it's over. Doing what Texas did to Herman doesn't help anyone.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Forgive me for not picking up my pitch fork with the rest of you. This may not turn out to be the most fun basketball season in my Iowa State fandom, but Prohm is the coach and that won't change before the end of the year. So how about if we take a deep breath, step back from the ledge, and watch to see how the season plays out.

Prohm has proven that he isn't a great Xs and Os guy, and rarely seems to out fox the other team schematically. But let's not pretend like he isn't the best high school recruiter that we have had in a long time and he has a pretty solid track record of developing guys and getting them to the pros.

He has had some issues with large exits of talent leaving the cupboard bare and making for some painful seasons, but part of that is because he is bringing in players who end up going pro early and in many cases earlier than expected. Funny how it was everyone on this board's wet dream to get a one and done player until we actually got one under Prohm in THT and everyone was pissed that he didn't play like a polished senior and then was mad at him for leaving "too early."

More than that, Prohm is a solid human being and he is a Cyclone. He loves this place and his players, who are also Cyclones. So I will be cheering for Prohm and the boys for the rest of the year - hoping to see the light turn on for some of these young guys, and the rest of the newcomers to develop some chemistry. Just like with CPR or McCarney, the time may come when he has to be cut loose, but that won't be something to celebrate. It will be a bummer that it didn't work out.

That time may well be at the end of this season, depending on how everything ends up. But like other's have said the financial situation with covid may end up buying him at least next season too, regardless. I won't lose any sleep over it one way or the other. I'm just here to cheer for the Cyclones and right now that includes Prohm.

Prohm is making 2.3 million dollars per year. I don‘t think a career change is a tragedy.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
What are the expectations for Iowa State in basketball? Tournament appearances each year? Tournament championships every couple years? Fast, exciting basketball? Turning out NBA players? Beating in-state rivals? I honestly don’t know what the expectations should be.

Top to bottom, the Big 12 has some serious coaching talent and Prohm’s resume is 9th out of 10 and is ahead of only Boynton. Depending on your expectations each year, Prohm might check one of your boxes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prohm has proven that he isn't a great Xs and Os guy, and rarely seems to out fox the other team schematically. But let's not pretend like he isn't the best high school recruiter that we have had in a long time and he has a pretty solid track record of developing guys and getting them to the pros.

Does CSP have all that much to do with THT and Hali's getting into the NBA? They seemed to blossom pretty well independently.

I'm not sold that he's good at developing players for what he envisions for ISU, whatever that is.