Will McDonald deserves more recognition.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Is it me, or does this guy get zero attention/recognition?

This guy leads the power five in sacks this season with 9.5 (at least did before bowl games, will check again post bowl) and I’ve heard crickets about him nationally.

I don’t even always hear much about him locally. Normally we give more of the recognition to Jaquan since he’s been here for so long. Which deservedly so, he’s been a great player.

But Will has been on an absolute tear since late last season. I don’t know if I’ve ever remembered us having a guy as quick and explosive as he is on the edge. What do you think the reason is that he gets overlooked? Because he’s not technically a starter and often sees less snaps?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is it me, or does this guy get zero attention/recognition?

This guy leads the power five in sacks this season with 9.5 (at least did before bowl games, will check again post bowl) and I’ve heard crickets about him nationally.

I don’t even always hear much about him locally. Normally we give more of the recognition to Jaquan since he’s been here for so long. Which deservedly so, he’s been a great player.

But Will has been on an absolute tear since late last season. I don’t know if I’ve ever remembered us having a guy as quick and explosive as he is on the edge. What do you think the reason is that he gets overlooked? Because he’s not technically a starter and often sees less snaps?
He has ISU on his jersey. If we can get someone drafted in the first round this might change.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Will is a guy that gives us a great pass rush, and gets held almost every time he rushes off the edge. That being said, he is not an every down DE/LB player. He has gotten better and will most likely be up for some awards next year. Great stats for no more than he gets on the field. Hopefully the coaches will find more snaps for him next year and he will improve at those things that keep him from being an every down guy.

Guess it all depends on what you are looking for in terms of recognition too. He was all Big 12, which is something that ISU doesn't usually have a lot of. This has been a good year for ISU players being awarded for their play.

Last edited:

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Will is a guy that gives us a great pass rush, and gets held almost every time he rushes off the edge. That being said, he is not an every down DE/LB player. He has gotten better and will most likely be up for some awards next year. Great stats for no more than he gets on the field. Hopefully the coaches will find more snaps for him next year and he will improve at those things that keep him from being an every down guy.

Guess it all depends on what you are looking for in terms of recognition too. He was all Big 12, which is something that ISU doesn't usually have a lot of. This has been a good year for ISU players being awarded for the play.
Good post. I do think that’s a fair observation that he has been relatively limited in snaps up to this point so it’d be interesting to see if that changes once Bailey leaves.

In terms of recognition I guess it’s just more who do I hear talking about him? Any time I look up his name on Twitter it normally involves someone asking a question about a McDonalds menu item returning.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Will probably never will be a three down DE. He doesn't have the body type. He could blow up in the weight room but I wouldn't want him getting any slower.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Agree. Like Epenesa was for Iowa. With the bills he has disappeared due to having to do more than just pass rush.
I don't think that has to be the way it is. I hope that the Giants pick McDonald in the second or third round. He reminds me of the type of DE that would have played on that crazy 8 person rotation they were running back when they won the Super Bowl as a 9-7 qualifier.

after thought: Epenesa is much slower than Will too.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Will probably never will be a three down DE. He doesn't have the body type. He could blow up in the weight room but I wouldn't want him getting any slower.
I think of Chase Winovich coming out of Michigan a couple years ago. He was limited in snaps throughout his entire career there behind Rashaan Gary.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Kinda has that subtle 'I'm asking about this player but I'm eventually going to start comparing him to other situations that have to do with other programs and nothing to do with ISU' type of vibe to it.
I honestly have no interest discussing Michigan football. I just liked Winovich the player.

I pretty much made this account just so I could actually discuss McDonald. I kinda geek out on Iowa State getting more NFL talent into the league. He feels like the only other guy on defense I can say that confidently about besides Rose.

• Wow
Reactions: Cycl0nepower