Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Boxster's 1st Rule of Grocery Shopping: Never buy more than you can fit into four sacks so you can carry out yourself. If the sacker is looking at expanding to five I have to stop him (#Matumbo) and tell him to keep stuffing the four.

• Friendly
Reactions: dirtyninety

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Boxster's 1st Rule of Grocery Shopping: Never buy more than you can fit into four sacks so you can carry out yourself. If the sacker is looking at expanding to five I have to stop him (#Matumbo) and tell him to keep stuffing the four.
Mutombo Geico commercial just was on. Haven't seen that in a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
@cowgirl836, could you please post LilMan's food preference spreadsheet. ;) :p.

JK don't be too mad at me.

I did actually have a spreadsheet. Lol. Never tracked preference though. As far as SaraV's question - I don't think he has anything that he 100% refuses other than spicy stuff. I did homemade purees and not much of the jarred because we pretty quickly decided small bits of our own food was easier. I did a lot of research (shocking, I know) and ended up following a different model than we had intended (the eat a bite of everything type) and went with what is basically "you provide, they decide." So we only make one meal but he doesn't have to eat what he doesn't want. Typically we'd put something familiar that he likes on there and then something newer. I'm actually really vain about his eating because after we started that like 7-8mths old, he is not at all what I'd call picky. Things come and go in popularity - blueberries were all he'd eat for a while, then they were the devil for a couple months. Now they're cool again. But he is willing to try just about anything because he knows the choice of whether to touch it, lick it, eat it, spit it out is his and we won't force him to eat anything. And when we have dessert it isn't like a special thing he eats veggies to earn. Tonight (well, he's sick so the rule then is just get calories in) he had a cookie before dinner. Still ate most of his dinner. It blows my mind that we'll sometimes give him a treat food with his regular food and he'll take a few bites, eat his other food and maybe maybe not come back and finish the treat.
The most out there foods he likes are probably things like blue cheese and sushi. Crunchy lettuce with bits of dressing is a newer venture. Of course ketchup on everything. Last night he put ketchup in yogurt. I was gagging but he took a bite. Shrimp, he really likes shrimp.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
DD and SIL, I think, are trying to expand their little ones' palates. They already are aware of some textural issues (similar to why I won't eat very ripe bananas) and that's good. However, when they want to invite ideas for the next meal, SIL especially will say, "What do you want for lunch/dinner?" And 4-year-old will answer. And SIL will say, "No, we just had that." Or "No, we're not having that." 4-year-old tries to think really hard about how to answer. SIL decides food anyway.

I've suggested that if they want to ask, give a choice instead of an open-ended question. Most of the time the kid doesn't get what he wants. "Would you like grilled cheese or a quesadilla?" is much easier to answer because you have two choices, both of which are possible.

And I remember that as kids ourselves we didn't get asked what we wanted to eat.

I really like giving choices. Because I only give things I'm willing to serve and it gives some power which is what toddlers crave - joke intended. He doesn't typically get to decide the whole meal unless DH and I don't care/didn't have plans but most nights we give him choices on fruits and veggies to go with the main.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
and since I got tagged in I should say hi. I always intend to catch up but then I'm so far behind it's overwhelming so I put it off til I have more time to read through...........which is never.

But I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention that Little Man is going to move up to Big Brother early this summer. We'll see if 2.0 sleeps any better than the first version. Probably flip flop and I'll eat my words on being "responsible" for a good eater with a terribly picky eater but a good sleeper baby.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
and since I got tagged in I should say hi. I always intend to catch up but then I'm so far behind it's overwhelming so I put it off til I have more time to read through...........which is never.

But I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention that Little Man is going to move up to Big Brother early this summer. We'll see if 2.0 sleeps any better than the first version. Probably flip flop and I'll eat my words on being "responsible" for a good eater with a terribly picky eater but a good sleeper baby.
I have been awaiting this notice.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Picked up some thousand island too , didn’t you?

Should have. I goofed up and forgot to set the timer after the flip, overcooked them they cook up quite a bit differently than a brat. the flavor is ok, but after really cooking really dry. I might try them again but will watch them much more closely. So tonight's supper was not a 10.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That bread can squish down and create some more room, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.