Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Mutombo Geico commercial just was on. Haven't seen that in a long time.
giphy.gif

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
In MY vernacular, there is a difference between crick and creek. A creek always has water in it, even if it's just a trickle. A crick goes dry in the summer heat.

Yup. My mama was born in Nawlins, Loozeeana.

Funny to come in here & see these conversations - a friend shared this video on FB this morning, @Ms3r4ISU will probably love it as much as I did...and maybe a few of the rest of you as well. Unless, of course, you recognize yourselves in the song. ;)

Edit: you should still be able to view this. It will just take you to Wierd Al's FB page.

At first I didn't click on the right word. When I did - yes! I love this. But it's too fast for those who truly would benefit from its information. And yep, I'll watch it again to make sure I get every pun.

On another YouTube-related note, this is a sentence from the Iowa State Daily's story on the Edward Snowden lecture last night that was YouTube livestreamed. Hope the link works....

"Edward Snowden lectured on cybersecurity in the digital age on a YouTube live stream on Thursday from Moscow."

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
All I have to do is think about how the liver functions, and I realize that no one should have a desire to eat it. But you guys knock yourselves out!
I saw this post and then noticed your profile pic. Creepy!

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
In MY vernacular, there is a difference between crick and creek. A creek always has water in it, even if it's just a trickle. A crick goes dry in the summer heat.

Yup. My mama was born in Nawlins, Loozeeana.

Funny to come in here & see these conversations - a friend shared this video on FB this morning, @Ms3r4ISU will probably love it as much as I did...and maybe a few of the rest of you as well. Unless, of course, you recognize yourselves in the song. ;)

Edit: you should still be able to view this. It will just take you to Wierd Al's FB page.

Never heard that take before. I always thought a crick was the pain you got in your neck.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You didn't happen to have chicken legs at lunch did you?
When I got to that part I remembered flipping through channels many years ago and came upon that scene halfway through it. I was extremely confused (still confused but understand where the drumstick came from), I can’t imagine explaining that one to your kid.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
At first I didn't click on the right word. When I did - yes! I love this. But it's too fast for those who truly would benefit from its information. And yep, I'll watch it again to make sure I get every pun.

On another YouTube-related note, this is a sentence from the Iowa State Daily's story on the Edward Snowden lecture last night that was YouTube livestreamed. Hope the link works....

"Edward Snowden lectured on cybersecurity in the digital age on a YouTube live stream on Thursday from Moscow."

I will edit my remarks: at the 3:05 mark, it seems "blog post" is noted as incorrect. I disagree. A blog is an ongoing project, if you will. It has a name and a location. Individual entries are posts. Blog posts. Perhaps my irritation is misplaced.
That is all. For now.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
When I got to that part I remembered flipping through channels many years ago and came upon that scene halfway through it. I was extremely confused (still confused but understand where the drumstick came from), I can’t imagine explaining that one to your kid.
Every once in a while I'll pull up that scene on You Tube just to show it to someone that doesn't know the movie.

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
That's Maester Luwin from Game of Thrones. He was actually a very kind, principles man (unlike many of the other characters!).
Ah, I never really watched that. Only a few scenes at DD and SIL's house once.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Never heard that take before. I always thought a crick was the pain you got in your neck.
We had a crick that ran behind our place when I was young. For us a crick was barely a body of water. When organized by size it was:
crick
creek
stream
river

EDIT: to put how small a crick was in perspective - our crick's origin was farm fields less than two miles away so there wasn't much of a source. I never knew where it came from growing up.

Last edited:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Yup! Started watching it late though; it was already in the fourth season when I started watching season 1. After I caught up, it was really really hard to wait for the new seasons, especially since season 5 was the first one that I watched "live" :D

The vixen watched it (in its entirety) before I did. She finally talked me into watching with her.....after a couple episodes I really hadn't gotten into it. She insisted that I give it a chance, and eventually I became hooked. Very few series productions have I seen with that high of values across the board - writing, production design, acting, everything. I'm a devotee now - in fact, we are re-watching it again currently.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Wooooaaaahhhhh.......that would be elder there. Rape is awful to start with, now adding that age to it, there is some major problems there. 17-77?
Just looked it up. I was slightly mistaken.

Winslow, wearing a GS monitoring ankle bracelet, once performed a vulgar act in front of a 77-year-old woman at a gym, Bowman said, adding that the ex-sports star hid the monitor with a towel.

His 77-year-old victim said: "This is somebody who has been allowed to utilize his financial privilege and celebrity to evade jail while awaiting trial, which is when he victimized me.

"It shows this is a defendant who does not learn from his mistakes, who shows no respect to our laws."

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The vixen watched it (in its entirety) before I did. She finally talked me into watching with her.....after a couple episodes I really hadn't gotten into it. She insisted that I give it a chance, and eventually I became hooked. Very few series productions have I seen with that high of values across the board - writing, production design, acting, everything. I'm a devotee now - in fact, we are re-watching it again currently.
I tried to get Lew to watch with me the second time through, but he got frustrated and quit. I finally convinced him to watch again. He finally stuck it out with a lot of pauses so I could remind him who people were (this man struggles to remember who's who among the 16-18 people on Survivor each season!). After two seasons, he started asking "This guy is going to die, right?" after every episode that featured Joffrey. :D
At the end he was like, "wait, what? That's ALL???"
I don't know that he'll watch it repeatedly (he doesn't really do that) but at least now he'll get the cultural references. :D

Reactions: SCyclone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron