Coaching Search: Place your bets

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Want: A big name to excite us and get me to want to watch games again (Beilein, Altman, Fred at top of this list)
Think: TJ or someone we're not talking much about
Do Not Want: Someone who hasn't succeeded as a head coach at the P5 level, but this is probably who we get.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34 and CySmurf

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
i almost put myself for want.

but then i didnt want people to start listing my pros and cons and arguing about ME.

anywhooser, i am officially putting my name in for the coaching candidate at the University of iowa State

Buckle up, fellas, we're going undefeated the next four years.

(in the Little Hawkeye Conference)

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Want: A good coach
Think: T.J.
Don’t want: T.J. I was all for T.J. until I watched UNLV play twice and he is just as bad of a coach as Prohm. His team plays iso ball and stand around offense just like Prohm and every once in a while they do a high ball screen just like Prohm. It would be a major failure if Jamie hires him.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Want: Porter Moser
Think: ?
Don't want: someone else's retread

Looking at mid-major options, I like the way Loyola plays. He's been there a while and had success building a program rather than a 2 year flash in the pan.

I would be fine with

Porter Moser
Craig Smith
Bryce Drew
Kyle Keller
Anthony Grant
Devries

Probably a few more out there but those are the names kind of tossed around.

Reactions: Snydes

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Who do you WANT to hire? LeVelle Moton
Who do you think we WILL hire? TJ
Who do you definitely NOT want to hire? Fred Hoiberg

• Dumb
Reactions: Cy$

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
For those of you saying you don't "want" Fred .... uhhhh, why? You don't enjoy prolonged success? There's no chance it happens but JFC. Steve Kerr could come here and people would say "well yeah good coach, but his players shoot from far away."

want: devries and obviously Fred

Think: no opinion / TJ due to the buddy factor some of you have mentioned.

Don't want: Jamie Pollard leading this search.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Want-Altman, I guess. Or maybe the Toledo coach. I like the symmetry of 3 major coaches from Toledo.
Think we will get-It’s always been TJ
Don’t want-I suppose TJ, although he’d probably be fine. He’s certainly done a great job building relationships with the right people around here.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Want: Craig Smith? Realistically wouldn't mind a lot of guys.

Think: TJ

Do not want: Fred and it has nothing to do with Fred. There's already a segment of the fan base with a messiah complex towards Fred and I have no desire to see how bad it would get if he struggled bringing us back where we were with him the first time.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Want: literally any warm body that isn't named Steve Prohm

Who it will be: absolutely no idea, but very likely a low-cost mid-major guy with midwest ties (it worked for JP wrt CMC and I think he will go back to the well). TJ is a very real possibility in this scenario. Maybe Keller?

Don't want: anyone with a southern or eastern drawl

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Who do you WANT to hire? LeVelle Moton
Who do you think we WILL hire? TJ
Who do you definitely NOT want to hire? Fred Hoiberg

that'd be interesting. ive heard of him before and he always seems to put out good teams that wins the conf.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Do not want: Fred and it has nothing to do with Fred. There's already a segment of the fan base with a messiah complex towards Fred and I have no desire to see how bad it would get if he struggled bringing us back where we were with him the first time.

I think it would be fascinating. Like would he get a break from the fans? Or not. I honestly don’t know.

Much like I would pay CASH MONEY to know who started the Hoiberg rumor.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I've been told from a source that are friends with the Sukups that we were trying to get rid of prohm last season, but somehow he talked his way into staying. Also said the top 4 candidates we are looking at are Dana Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, and TJ in that order. Just passing on what I've heard.

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa

and for some of us it's as simple as "do I enjoy winning basketball? Or do I not enjoy winning basketball?"

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Want - Hoiberg or Craig smith
Who will it be? Hoiberg
Do not want - Prohm. Seriously I’d feel more confident going into next season if we brought Wayne Morgan out of retirement.

Reactions: Statefan10

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
I've been told from a source that are friends with the Sukups that we were trying to get rid of prohm last season, but somehow he talked his way into staying. Also said the top 4 candidates we are looking at are Dana Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, and TJ in that order. Just passing on what I've heard.

That’s interesting about Matta and would save on a big buyout but don’t see it happening. Would be a massive shot heard around the basketball world