The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Whatever the future holds, I want to know within a month or two. It will be awful if this drags on and on

I think about how the prolonged deal last time cut CPR's recruiting off at the knees when he had momentum. That **** cannot be allowed to happen this time.

Reactions: CentexCyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
60%: ISU to Big 10
30%: ISU to PAC 12
5%: Revamped Big 12
5%: AAC or MWC
Why are people so confident that the BIG is even an option? What makes you believe that? I’m honestly asking because I don’t see it. But I want to believe!

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Pollard is a genius. He will get us into a good conference should the two greedy schools move on. I hope they(Oklahoma and Texas) just go, it’s just too much of their whining and acting like we can’t breathe without them.

Iowa State will be National Champions come January 15th and Ohio State will want ISU in the B1G 10 so they can at least have some competition. We will be fine.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
What is this based on and who comes into the revamped B12 that gets viewers/money?

It's just based on the fact that like it or not, ISU does not bring much $$$ to a conference like the Big 10 or Pac 12 (which is still much more likely than the Big 10). ISU has some other things going for it, but when you swing and miss on #1, I think the odds of the Big 10 adding a Maryland/Rutgers type team this time (if they even add anyone at ALL), is very slim.

No one is going to like it, not even me, but the Big 12 can add some market leverage by adding a team with some recent success and a huge alumni base like Houston/Cincinnati/BYU/etc. We'd fall to the least profitable P5 conference, but I think we'd survive, and if ISU can convince Campbell to stay and dominate the league, it might even end up good for ISU or at least continue to put us in a better position.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah...Pollard won't do that unless he's absolutely certain we've got a spot elsewhere
Exactly. Ou and Texas are banking on other Big 12 schools panicking and looking for other options. If the Big 12 dissolves, the Grant of Rights ceases to exist. That's the only thing slowing this down. My guess is you're not going to hear anything about ISU or any of the remaining 8 about leaving. Not officially, anyway. And not for a while.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Pollard is a genius. He will get us into a good conference should the two greedy schools move on. I hope they(Oklahoma and Texas) just go, it’s just too much of their whining and acting like we can’t breathe without them.

Iowa State will be National Champions come January 15th and Ohio State will want ISU in the B1G 10 so they can at least have some competition. We will be fine.

musk-apple.jpg

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Exactly. Ou and Texas are banking on other Big 12 schools panicking and looking for other options. If the Big 12 dissolves, the Grant of Rights ceases to exist. That's the only thing slowing this down. My guess is you're not going to hear anything about ISU or any of the remaining 8 about leaving. Not officially, anyway. And not for a while.
This is exactly right. I wouldn’t be surprised to see invites to two new schools floated soon to further the idea of big12 continuity.

• Winner
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So it sounds like based on the meeting last night, this was a total surprise by the other AD's and University Presidents. I think their approach is good, just to understand why OU and Texas want to make this change. That seems to be the big question right now, why do they want to make this change?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The remaining 8 need to "stay firm" until UT and OU make it official to receive their payout.

(Now, behind closed doors is another thing)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is exactly right. I wouldn’t be surprised to see invites to two new schools floated soon to further the idea of big12 continuity.

All of this depends on what TV partners will be willing to pay. If ESPN and Fox want to save the current Big 12 they could start writing checks.

College athletics just got really ******* depressing

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Don't know this guy, but when a spouse cheats, who is the last one to find out? I cannot blame the Commish for not knowing when the scum bags are running around during the night trying to change leagues.
Reports out this morning that this has been in the works for 6-months and that Big12 leadership had knowledge. Back to my point, Bowlsby failed at this job.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, that's ideal, but self interest takes over and asking all of these individual institutions to stand pat and keep quiet in the face of uncertainty is nearly impossible. The moment other schools get wind of a lifeline they aren't going to want to have a secret handshake deal and keep quiet and risk it falling apart. They're are going to want it in writing, which means in public. It will be a miracle if this thing doesn't blow up in the next couple of months. You know the PAC-12 is going to go after some of these schools. Maybe (hopefully!) the B1G too. It's not going to last.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Yeah, that's ideal, but self interest takes over and asking all of these individual institutions to stand pat and keep quiet in the face of uncertainty is nearly impossible. The moment other schools get wind of a lifeline they aren't going to want to have a secret handshake deal and keep quiet and risk it falling apart. They're are going to want it in writing, which means in public. It will be a miracle if this thing doesn't blow up in the next couple of months. You know the PAC-12 is going to go after some of these schools. Maybe (hopefully!) the B1G too. It's not going to last.
I think this idea that the pac and big are suddenly going to start handing out invites to be a bit of a fallacy. Nothing left moves the needle for them.

Reactions: CyTwister