The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
That's very obviously the goal - to double dip. Get the cable subscriptions and then have the same people spend another 8 bucks a month or whatever it is in a couple years.

ESPN+ also gets next season what was essentially NHL.tv (Hockey's NFL ticket equivalent) and it is also in a lot of articles rumored to be a favorite for the streaming package of the NFL Sunday ticket after this year or next year when the current deal expires. Maybe the SEC gets moved over at some point with all that content but I wonder how much a channel like that costs eventually.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Do you notice every streaming service(or at least the vast majority) still includes BTN, SEC & ACC in the packages. Those leagues are still monetizing the old system whether its satellite, cable or streaming. It appears the BTN & SEC will be popular enough to continue that. I don't know about the ACC long term although they got ESPN behind them.
Without a doubt they contain those sports leagues, but the difference is that you have to sign up and pay for it. Under the old system, BTN got to charge grandma an extra $12 bucks a year whether she watched a game or not, everyone that had Mediacom in Iowa paid, it didn't matter if you were an EIU fan or an ISU fan or no fan, everyone paid money into the system. Under streaming not many ISU fans are going to be purchasing BTN+, but under the old system we had no choice in the matter, it was all rolled into the basic cable package.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
You're correct. They shifted the non conference directional school matchups. I doubt league games get there but who knows if ESPN plus thinks they can get SEC state subscribers to pay for ESPN plus and SECN.

Disney wants ESPN+ subscribers. You save money if you bundle ESPN + and Disney +. That stuff matters and is driving this conversation

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I you are the Big 10 and you see Pac-16 and SEC go to 16 team leagues and you want to as well. Who would your first add be right now. Legitimately, it should be Iowa State.
I really wish it could happen!! But the B1G wants value not numbers. What does a tv game of USC vs Mich/OSU/PSU/Wisky, even a revamped Nebraska bring audience numbers wise? Secondarily, how does an improved UCLA/OR/UW look against those schools Now look at ISU vs those teams its not happening at 16. Think about it the SEC adds OU & UT and the B1G response is KU & ISU? If KU is added and there are rumors they are talking(which I don't know if KU makes the cut) its as a bridge most likely with Colorado for those 4-6 PAC properties.

There needs to be a full fledged break away of 60+ teams for ISU to make it and then its dicey. Trust me I hope it happens.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Do you notice every streaming service(or at least the vast majority) still includes BTN, SEC & ACC in the packages. Those leagues are still monetizing the old system whether its satellite, cable or streaming. It appears the BTN & SEC will be popular enough to continue that. I don't know about the ACC long term although they got ESPN behind them.

They include it, but at what rate? The BTN was offered nationwide, but they charged (significantly) more within their conference footprint. That's why adding NYC was such a big deal. Are streaming services today getting charged more for the BTN for subscribers in Iowa or has it changed to a flat rate?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
As for keeping the Other XIII together...

Why it's a Bad Idea:
  • Tweener conference: too big to be considered G5, too small to be considered G5
  • How long before the Big 10, PAC or ACC decide to go to 16? When that day comes, they're coming to the Big XII for more members, most likely.
Here's why it's a good idea
  • Probably better than joining a G5 outright.
  • Future landing spot when the SEC decides it's done feeding so many mouths and the inevitable SUPER LEAGUE is formed by schools who value football success at the highest level over academic reputation and shed the charade entirely. By which I mean most of the SEC (probably not Vandy, nobody else comes to mind), Ohio St and Penn St, Miami, Clemson, Florida St and Nebraska (if they can get their respective **** together). TBD on some others. Notre Dame will somehow be involved with both because.
Give the semi-recent exploration of expansion by the Big XII, they should have a pretty good idea of who would bring the most to the table. Just going off of Athletic Dept Revenue, Enrollment and Academics:
  1. BYU
  2. Cincinnati
  3. UCF
  4. Houston
  5. South Florida
  6. Colorado St
Given that none of them added enough to bring them in last time around and nothing has changed all that much, two is probably the optimal number to bring in.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Without a doubt they contain those sports leagues, but the difference is that you have to sign up and pay for it. Under the old system, BTN got to charge grandma an extra $12 bucks a year whether she watched a game or not, everyone that had Mediacom in Iowa paid, it didn't matter if you were an EIU fan or an ISU fan or no fan, everyone paid money into the system. Under streaming not many ISU fans are going to be purchasing BTN+, but under the old system we had no choice in the matter, it was all rolled into the basic cable package.

How is that different than FUBO, HULU, Youtube, etc including BTN/ SECN/ HULU/ATT Now etc in their main packages?

You sign up for cable/satellite or you sign up for a streaming service?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
kind of surprised we still haven't heard or seen a statement from JP
I am not. What can he actually say at this point that is actually going to "say" anything. Nothing is official so his hands are pretty tied. I'm sure he is so busy, a statement is the last thing he needs to do.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Let's say the era of 16-team super leagues is dawning. OU and Texas to the SEC.
  • Big-10 needs two to get to 16. All the ACC teams and ND are locked up into the 2030s, so all of them are off the table.
  • ACC would add one team. I'm convinced they'd keep the 16th seat open for Notre Dame (they're already half-occupying it anyway) at least through their current GOR.
  • PAC-12 would need to add four. Nobody currently in the P5 makes a ton of sense geographically. BYU is the closest that makes some sense, but there seems to be an overall reluctance to add religiously-affiliated schools.
I think the ACC would likely go after WV to get them back together with some of their former rivals. This keeps the conference geographically coherent, though WV would be bringing up the rear academically by a wiiiiiiiiiide margin. WV is ranked #241. Louisville is lowest in the ACC at #176, followed by NC State at #80.

The rest would be determined by the PAC-12 and Big 10. If either thinks the other is sniffing around, they may want to act fast to try to get first choice of what's left. The Big 10 can afford to stand pat, though I don't think the PAC-12 can and also remain a Power conference mentioned in the same breath as the other three.

In that scenario, do the math:

SEC + OU + Texas=16 teams
ACC + Notre Dame + West Virginia=16 teams
Pac-12 would need 4
Big 10 would need 2

7 teams left in the ruins of the Big 12, plus any other schools that may be attractive for any number of reasons (BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/Boise St/UNLV) for 6 spots.....

What four teams get together and go west? Which two would have best shot for Big 10 invites?

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I am not. What can he actually say at this point that is actually going to "say" anything. Nothing is official so his hands are pretty tied. I'm sure he is so busy, a statement is the last thing he needs to do.

Agreed. The next time we hear from JP should be when the path forward is crystal clear and he's put us in the best position possible.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
They include it, but at what rate? The BTN was offered nationwide, but they charged (significantly) more within their conference footprint. That's why adding NYC was such a big deal. Are streaming services today getting charged more for the BTN for subscribers in Iowa or has it changed to a flat rate?

I don't know the answer to that it would be interesting to find out. If they received a valuable enough national rate, they may not care about in state vs out of state.

Again, part of the value of adding Rutgers and Maryland was to help solidify the PSU brand. That point is completely overlooked. PSU vs OSU has outdrew OU vs UT for a long time. A lot of those PSU vs Mich. games were huge too. PSU vs IA even got 5M if I remember right Wadley's last year when PSU won in the closing seconds.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Or maybe 4-6 big ten teams mixed with the pac 12. That makes more sense.
No the PAC 12 owns their own network which is part of the reason they never got carriage across the country. FOX has 1/2 of the PAC 12 T1/T2 deals. Which actually gives FOX more incentive to shuffle 4-6 best brands of the PAC to the B1G.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The NFL only had 28 teams in 1985, playing 16 game regular season, and no one had any problem with that.

Tons of casual sports fans will watch whatever ESPN has on or pumps up. Gamblers will be all in too, and they are more important to this than most people realize.

I don't think that's true at all. What % of midwestern sports fans do you think watch a reformed SEC with ND, tOSU, Michigan, PSU, etc?

They'll all just go back to watching their NFL teams at take their Saturdays back.

I also don't buy that gambling has that much impact. Sports betting is big business, but its a minority of fans that partake. Heck I think most sports wagers are informal bets and office pools, the people that are big into betting don't factor into the media decisions.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
How is that different than FUBO, HULU, Youtube, etc including BTN/ SECN/ HULU/ATT Now etc in their main packages?

You sign up for cable/satellite or you sign up for a streaming service?
Its simple under the old plan as someone pointed out if I lived in a state within the big 10 footprint I paid more to the BTN, so it cost more in Iowa than Missouri, pretty sure that in streaming its all the same, which would mean most likely there is going to be less revenue there.

Older people are not into streaming, but they do sign up for cable, and cable companies are starting to move BTN and other networks off the basic package and onto the sports packages that costs extra. As I stated before the genius of the old system was everyone paid, that is now not true, and BTN either has to increase costs or receive less money for that content.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't think people are grasping the political and institutional realities of the PAC12.

Realistically, Iowa State, Kansas and, maybe, Oklahoma State are the only schools that they would be willing to entertain.

They aren't taking religious affiliation and they aren't taking a non R1, AAU. Those things matter in Palo Alto, Berkley, Westwood and Boulder.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

It looks like the source of that article is the guy from Twitter that has already been mentioned. I hope NBC Chicago has verified those reports, but I am not confident.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron