The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How long until after Texas joins the SEC that it realizes this sucks and they call up Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and the other Texas/Oklahoma schools and Arkansas and try to get the SWC back together? They're never going to be happy when they meet the SEC West all the sudden.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I just don't get how one big league of the top teams will pan out. If it's too small, then all of the good teams don't have bottom feeders of the league to prey on and most of those good teams won't tolerate losing seasons. Maybe its reforming into a 32 or 48 league team, but even then that is pretty big task to actually get done. If they cut out too many programs, then those fans aren't going to decide to pick a new team, there is too much school loyalty. If tOSU, Michigan, and PSU go to some big league and kill of CFB for the rest of the teams in the BIG, then there is no way all those other fans just decide to pick a new team.

The NFL only had 28 teams in 1985, playing 16 game regular season, and no one had any problem with that.

Tons of casual sports fans will watch whatever ESPN has on or pumps up. Gamblers will be all in too, and they are more important to this than most people realize.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
FOX owns the PAC12 TV network, so they too could have an incentive to shuffle the best brands around to bring in more revenue.

In a way this is all starting to look like it might have been coordinated with the last round of TV deals and not the current ones.

No the PAC 12 owns their own network which is part of the reason they never got carriage across the country. FOX has 1/2 of the PAC 12 T1/T2 deals. Which actually gives FOX more incentive to shuffle 4-6 best brands of the PAC to the B1G.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Potential. You think they were added because of their awesome football tradition? Did the Big 12 look stupid for adding Baylor when they turned it around? I think most administrators look at the big picture instead of taking a snap shot of the present and think it's going to look like that forever.

It was football TV viewership.

Big 12 wasn't even a thing until the SWC imploded and Tech, ATM, Baylor, and UT joined the Big 8 essentially.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Before I start, let me say that I think ISU is the best cultural, geographic, and athletics fit available for the Big Ten at this time and personally given the alternatives joining up with them would be ideal for ISU.

That said, if I'm the Big Ten, it is going to be necessary to sit back and see if what the SEC is trying to do works or not, and what the ramifications for the Big 10 would be. It could be a juggernaut in a couple years that has your own big dogs looking at greener pastures. Or perhaps the Big 10 does alright but it scares schools like USC and UCLA into looking for a home in a big pay for play league.

My gut says they are going to stand pat for now unless a really big fish (read none of the Big 12 leftovers) suddenly becomes available. And you will want a spot available when that day comes.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If ESPN is behind all of this and it sounds like they are, then wouldn't it be in their interests to try to get KU into the ACC, a league that they also own broadcasting rights too? The Big 10 and BTN is owned by FOX sports, and one would think that KU would love the idea of playing Duke, NC and the rest of that league in BB.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Why not combine PAC 12, BIG, and 6 Big 12 teams, into a 32 team BIG that FOX can market as a new CFB league that competes against whatever the SEC is trying to do. Conference is 4 divisions of 8 teams, leading into a post season of a semi-final, and champ game to determine the league champ, which then plays whoever from ACC & SEC for national title. Posture the league as the main CFB conference going forward to make a push for the ACC schools added when their media deal is up.

I said same yesterday in one of the other 1000 post threads. If I was running the B1G this is what I would do to prevent OSU, Mich, PSU from leaving for the ESPN, I mean SEC.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think Saban's comment that their new Fr. QB who hasn't played a game has 1M in NIL money lined up opened quite a few eyes. Don't kid yourself. The B12 had a nice following but OU & UT felt in its current form wouldn't allow them to compete in that environment.

It sucks for CFB, especially for fans like ISU.

It still doesn't change the fact that conferences have been making power grabs all the way back to Big XII getting Texas, B1G getting Penn St, and even before that. This was the inevitable conclusion to all of it, regardless of whether or not players got paid.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
It still doesn't change the fact that conferences have been making power grabs all the way back to Big XII getting Texas, B1G getting Penn St, and even before that. This was the inevitable conclusion to all of it, regardless of whether or not players got paid.
If nothing else to get revenue for facilities.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
so Rutgers a few years ago was for what?
Rutgers and Maryland brought in $50 million apiece under the old system because it allowed BTN to move into NY city and the Wash/Baltimore regions.

But today because of cord cutting and people moving to streaming, cable companies are cutting back and moving BTN to a sports package that costs extra. The idea behind BTN was just a genius idea, you are getting to charge people for content on basic cable or satellite whether they watch or even care about the programing or not.

• Winner

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
You're correct. They shifted the non conference directional school matchups. I doubt league games get there but who knows if ESPN plus thinks they can get SEC state subscribers to pay for ESPN plus and SECN.

That's very obviously the goal - to double dip. Get the cable subscriptions and then have the same people spend another 8 bucks a month or whatever it is in a couple years.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
The NFL only had 28 teams in 1985, playing 16 game regular season, and no one had any problem with that.

Tons of casual sports fans will watch whatever ESPN has on or pumps up. Gamblers will be all in too, and they are more important to this than most people realize.
But its the pro league no minor league draws national interest

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The way that a super league/conference could take total control into its own prestigious division is pretty astounding.

Right now, I can generally talk college football with other teams' fans and it's a pretty good conversation around teams at least in the same category (FBS).

If some separate/higher up new division really takes hold, ISU gets left out and really will be in that 'little brother' picture.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I said same yesterday in one of the other 1000 post threads. If I was running the B1G this is what I would do to prevent OSU, Mich, PSU from leaving for the ESPN, I mean SEC.

How does taking on all the dead weight that the SEC doesn't need prevent OSU-PSU-Mich from leaving? Seems to me it makes it more likely.

Reactions: Nococy

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Rutgers and Maryland brought in $50 million apiece under the old system because it allowed BTN to move into NY city and the Wash/Baltimore regions.

But today because of cord cutting and people moving to streaming, cable companies are cutting back and moving BTN to a sports package that costs extra. The idea behind BTN was just a genius idea, you are getting to charge people for content on basic cable or satellite whether they watch or even care about the programing or not.

Do you notice every streaming service(or at least the vast majority) still includes BTN, SEC & ACC in the packages. Those leagues are still monetizing the old system whether its satellite, cable or streaming. It appears the BTN & SEC will be popular enough to continue that. I don't know about the ACC long term although they got ESPN behind them.

• Agree

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I you are the Big 10 and you see Pac-16 and SEC go to 16 team leagues and you want to as well. Who would your first add be right now. Legitimately, it should be Iowa State.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Don’t like it. But unfortunately it’s the best realistic option.

Drop Tech, add KU. KU needs a partner if they're headed to the Big10. That's either us or Mizzou in all likelihood. If it's Mizzou, you're probably taking OSU off the board for the PAC. But I really see the Big10 staying at 14 and only the PAC expands to try and regain ground that they've lost. So if that's the case, add ISU. KU, KSU, and OSU to the PAC and make an Eastern division.