The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
IMO the Big12 is in a sit back and wait position for the Big10 and SEC to create 2 super conferences aligned with Fox (Big10) and Disney (SEC).

If each super conference is 20 teams (4 - 5 team divisions), then the SEC needs 4 teams and the Big10 needs 6 teams.

So Iowa State will need to wait and see how HOT the SEC and Big10 view the Cyclones.

On the hotness scale, I would go:

10's - Notre Dame & Clemson.
9's - North Carolina & Virginia.
8's - Okie St (SEC), FSU, Miami.
7's - NC State, GA Tech, IA State.

That's 10 teams for 10 spots. The wildcards:
1) Can the Big10 or SEC make Pac12 schools work. If they want the Pac12 schools then I think ISU is definitely in the outside I think ISU is in a conference with Big12, ACC and Pac12 remnants.

2) How loyal are the SEC and Big10 to existing members? Do Rutgers, Vandy, etc. have a place at the table?

Rutgers football product is bad but people discount how good of a recruiting ground New Jersey is. PSU while not on the OSU level has had a lot of success since adding Rutgers and Maryland due to their proximity and recruiting. New Jersey and the Maryland/DC area is now usually #2 and #3 in terms of football recruits in the B1G footprint besides the subscription money. PSU has had some monster ratings games for the B1G.

People talk about streaming and value. The BTN and SEC and now ACC are still getting carriage even on all the streaming products besides cable and satellite and that will continue. The Big 12 was not going to and neither will the PAC. A league with either B12 and PAC 12 leftovers will be on ESPN Plus. So would a leftover B12 and AAC additions like UH, BYU & Cincy to name a few.

It would be interesting to know the value to the BTN of having a 9 pm CST time slot for live content by adding the 5-6 PAC properties they want the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadeyededric

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Amazon, Youtube, Comcast and so many other players are gaining market share. Look at how many SEC games are being thrown to ESPN +. Streaming is the present and future

There is not one SEC football game on ESPN+ unless its a rerun. Its on SECN.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The gap between SEC's TV payouts and the Big 12's was going to be so large that the SEC will be able to entertain offering scholarships with upwards of $100k or more on the side for their players. The Big 12 member universities would never have approved doing the same as most schools would not be able to afford it. The decision boils down to TX and OU wanting to maintain their recruiting base and foothold on being a main player. No other team in the Big 12 could do that, not even close. So they gone.

Throw in a salary cap and an AFC-NFC TV package with the Big and SEC being the two leagues and you basically have professional football pt 2.

Which I will not watch....

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
E67hWAAXIAc6ECR

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Here's what I fail to grasp in all of this... if the SEC end game is to break away from the NCAA and be their own "semi-pro" league, how does that not crater the national value/interest in the college football product. College football becomes a glorified NFL feeder league and national interest fades quickly where there is no implication for CFP/National title, no?

Maybe I'm wrong in that, but I'd be curious to see what happens. I love watching monster SEC games today because of what is at stake in terms of making the playoffs, but in a standalone league (if that's their long term angle) I'd have zero interest in any of the games. I would think that'd be the same everywhere outside of the SEC footprint.

What makes college football so great is the natural rivalries, the high stakes of every game, the tribalism of fans, etc. You lose so much of that and destroy the product going this route IMO.

I think they hope they can keep you in by increasing the CFP to 12 and leagues outside the B1G & SEC are thrown a bone by getting their conference champion in every year. The SEC, B1G & ACC will get an automatic bid. If the B1G expands from the PAC hopefully leftovers from the B12/PAC 12 get an automatic bid instead of the beauty pageant contest against the AAU champ each year.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think they hope they can keep you in by increasing the CFP to 12 and leagues outside the B1G & SEC are thrown a bone by getting their conference champion in every year. The SEC, B1G & ACC will get an automatic bid. If the B1G expands from the PAC hopefully leftovers from the B12/PAC 12 get an automatic bid instead of the beauty pageant contest against the AAU champ each year.

There will be no CFP, because ESPN will be right there telling everyone the real championship is the SEC championship.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
ESPN wants the SEC to be the super league. The big10 is mostly a fox product and fox has no incentive to overbid with espn not being involved in the negotiations.

I'm not sure I agree. FOX has the BTN as well as national T1/T2 programming. I saw where FOX won't have 550-600M due to losing the NFL Thursday night deal to Amazon.

FOX cant let the B1G fall too much behind. FOX might like KU bball for the BTN since that is a lot of the programming but it doesn't help the leagues football now or long term with dwindling recruiting grounds. I expect FOX to help the B1G acquire USC/UCLA/OR/UW and maybe two other PAC schools and leave a lot of the dead weight of the PAC behind. IF OU & UT couldn't afford to stay at Big revenue numbers neither can USC/UCLA/OR/UW with PAC 12 revenues with a conference network going no where SLOW! How much value does a 9 CSt/10 EST slot for live programming benefit the BTN?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There's DNA for the Pac16. It expands the conference to 16, SEC size. The B12 squads are the only available with stout football programs. It expands their TV network to the midlands, including Texas. And the divisions make some geographic sense with historical ties as pointed to above.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Thing is, that Pac-16 is a good consolation prize if it comes to fruition.

We would be playing the east division teams every year, which includes KSU and OSU. We're already used to traveling to Lubbock, and same with Boulder back in the day.

SLC and Phoenix would be nice alternating yearly destinations.

Then you rotate the west division teams for a couple west coast trips each year

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
There will be no CFP, because ESPN will be right there telling everyone the real championship is the SEC championship.
8 of the top 16 or whatever largest brands in College Football are in the SEC. The NCAA product has almost no credibility without them. Any college football playoff that doesn't include them would have a huge asterisk by it. Id think if the SEC allowed a few NCAA teams in their playoff a school like Ohio State would bag the NCAA playoff for the SEC playoff.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not sure I agree. FOX has the BTN as well as national T1/T2 programming. I saw where FOX won't have 550-600M due to losing the NFL Thursday night deal to Amazon.

FOX cant let the B1G fall too much behind. FOX might like KU bball for the BTN since that is a lot of the programming but it doesn't help the leagues football now or long term with dwindling recruiting grounds. I expect FOX to help the B1G acquire USC/UCLA/OR/UW and maybe two other PAC schools and leave a lot of the dead weight of the PAC behind. IF OU & UT couldn't afford to stay at Big revenue numbers neither can USC/UCLA/OR/UW with PAC 12 revenues with a conference network going no where SLOW! How much value does a 9 CSt/10 EST slot for live programming benefit the BTN?

FOX owns the PAC12 TV network, so they too could have an incentive to shuffle the best brands around to bring in more revenue.

In a way this is all starting to look like it might have been coordinated with the last round of TV deals and not the current ones.

Reactions: surly

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Regardless what happens to Iowa State...

Going back to the era of split national championships would be pretty funny.

Reactions: wintersmd

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I mean ESPN has a contract with the Big 12 and they don't seem to care about the hurt that Texas and Oklahoma leaving has caused?
ESPN will make more money by destroying the Big 12 and getting OU and UT to move to the SEC, it also allows them to get rid of LHN that has never made a penny in profit for the network.

If you are an ESPN executive this move just made you one hell of a bonus come the end of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
ESPN will make more money by destroying the Big 12 and getting OU and UT to move to the SEC, it also allows them to get rid of LHN that has never made a penny in profit for the network.

If you are an ESPN executive this move just made you one hell of a bonus come the end of the year.
Will any lawsuits come out of the Big 12 aimed at ESPN? Would that only slow the inevitable? I don't know if I'd be in favor of that, just rip the band aid off at this point.