If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
You're taking this stuff pretty personally. I don't want to see ISU relegated to a G5 level conference. I like that our little state has two strong P5 athletic universities, I don't like seeing 2,000-3,000 people lose their jobs in Ames, and my daughter loves the big game atmosphere up there and my younger daughter may be in Ames in a few years as well and I want the same thing for her. If my posts presenting a simple reality check on a lot of this stuff hurts your feelies, sorry I guess.

If your posts represented a simple reality check, then I'd be fine with them. What they actually represent is a hawkeye perspective on what is occurring. Its not personal for me, but I'm also not willing to ignore deeply subjective and negative perspectives about ISU's future to go unchallenged. The arguments you make, are, in nearly every case...worst case opinions of what may be happening and of what may yet happen. Your assumptions are all from a deeply anti-ISU perspective and you rely exclusively on cherry picked information that supports your confirmation bias. While its also true that ISU fans are looking to the bits of daylight out there and have our own bias, given the strength and quality of our current program that optimistic view is far more warranted than your own "hawkeye" perspective. Sure...all the negative things you hope for could come to pass. Is that likely...absolutely not.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I say a different direction would be ideal. You sell a $100 per season package for the B12. You tier 1 your top 2 games each week to pull 10-12 MM from the old school media sources. Then place the remaining 4 games (ones not picked up that way viewers have to get the package because they don’t know who will be where at any time) on the package. If each school can hook 10,000 subscribers, say we go to 12, that would be 12 MM for football. Now do the same for BB and you probably can gain at least half that. Now you have popped 30 MM in media rights which is where we are now basically.

Does that "tier 2" package get divided equally or does each individual school keep it? Like tier 3 currently?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If your posts represented a simple reality check, then I'd be fine with them. What they actually represent is a hawkeye perspective on what is occurring. Its not personal for me, but I'm also not willing to ignore deeply subjective and negative perspectives about ISU's future to go unchallenged. The arguments you make, are, in nearly every case...worst case opinions of what may be happening and of what may yet happen. Your assumptions are all from a deeply anti-ISU perspective and you rely exclusively on cherry picked information that supports your confirmation bias. While its also true that ISU fans are looking to the bits of daylight out there and have our own bias, given the strength and quality of our current program that optimistic view is far more warranted than your own "hawkeye" perspective. Sure...all the negative things you hope for could come to pass. Is that likely...absolutely not.

If suggesting that 400,000 people aren't likely to pay $20 to watch ISU v. KSU on TV and correcting false information like Cincinnati has the #11 preseason SOS are "worst case opinions" from a "deeply anti-ISU perspective" then, guilty. Lol.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You're taking this stuff pretty personally. I don't want to see ISU relegated to a G5 level conference. I like that our little state has two strong P5 athletic universities, I don't like seeing 2,000-3,000 people lose their jobs in Ames, and my daughter loves the big game atmosphere up there and my younger daughter may be in Ames in a few years as well and I want the same thing for her. If my posts presenting a simple reality check on a lot of this stuff hurts your feelies, sorry I guess.
If it was truly a reality check that is one thing, but it seems a little too wishy-washy to be actual perspective.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does that "tier 2" package get divided equally or does each individual schools keep it. Like tier 3 currently?
I had it being equal, since it’s a package. One thing I thought later was if it was divided per subscribers. It would be had to track and we know what unequal distribution has done to the big XII.

One option would be to have school push it and they get $10 for each one routed through them, or something like that. Let there marketing teams push things and utilize each schools resources and connections.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I say a different direction would be ideal. You sell a $100 per season package for the B12. You tier 1 your top 2 games each week to pull 10-12 MM from the old school media sources. Then place the remaining 4 games (ones not picked up that way viewers have to get the package because they don’t know who will be where at any time) on the package. If each school can hook 10,000 subscribers, say we go to 12, that would be 12 MM for football. Now do the same for BB and you probably can gain at least half that. Now you have popped 30 MM in media rights which is where we are now basically.

Something like this makes more sense. One-time charge of $100 and you've got the season, would appeal to a solid chunk of viewers. The problem with a game-by-game PPV set up is that you'd probably get people grouping up on the big games lessening the overall number of buys, and there'd inevitably be games that draw very little interest.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
If suggesting that 400,000 people aren't likely to pay $20 to watch ISU v. KSU on TV and correcting false information like Cincinnati has the #11 preseason SOS are "worst case opinions" from a "deeply anti-ISU perspective" then, guilty. Lol.

Let's do this. Let's place a bet on the upcoming Indiana vs Cincinnati game on 9/18...which is at Indiana. You think Cinci is just a product of playing in its conference and really isn't a good team. Indiana being in that B1G powerhouse is a "true" power. So, let's put $100 bucks down...small change really...and you take Indiana. I'm willing to hand our money over to someone here on the board that you trust...or to go on a gentleman's agreement...your choice. Deal?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I had it being equal, since it’s a package. One thing I thought later was if it was divided per subscribers. It would be had to track and we know what unequal distribution has done to the big XII.

One option would be to have school push it and they get $10 for each one routed through them, or something like that. Let there marketing teams push things and utilize each schools resources and connections.

Home team keeps the cash or have each school with their own feed, but that would really keep the conference out of the casual fan's view and an added layer of complexity.

Just spit balling.....not sure how any of this would look or work or even should work

Reactions: BCClone

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Your on the right track...and I'd guess leadership is thinking this way as well. We have to monetize the passion that puts 61500 butts in seats...the passion of midwestern football fans...and these are ways of doing that which can supercede the old model of simply having a team in a big market (a big market in which nobody cares about said team).

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Let's do this. Let's place a bet on the upcoming Indiana vs Cincinnati game on 9/18...which is at Indiana. You think Cinci is just a product of playing in its conference and really isn't a good team. Indiana being in that B1G powerhouse is a "true" power. So, let's put $100 bucks down...small change really...and you take Indiana. I'm willing to hand our money over to someone here on the board that you trust...or to go on a gentleman's agreement...your choice. Deal?

Lol, dude I'm not making a money bet on Cincinnati v. Indiana with some weirdo on a message board.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Yeah that’s a real heavy lift. On one hand when you’ve got games on channels other than ABC, ESPN and Fox you are mostly dependent on fans of those teams and lose a bulk of the casually interested fan. The 2019 version of that game on FS1 had 642k viewers.

On the other hand, shelling out $20 per game is a WHOLE different level of fan. Now I shell out plenty for sling to basically ensure I can watch ISU events. But I’m a guy on an ISU message board.

The mode of delivering the revenue may change from traditional media to streaming, but that revenue seems Like it is going to be ad-heavy. There will be a subscription type component, but I am skeptical a pure PPV would be workable.

Maybe games like vs KSU,OSU and WVU you could raise decent revenue on a PPV basis, but there are going to be some dogs in there that don’t sell much at all.

Yea not every game...maybe 5-6 games...Even cut it in half. And I don't think $20 is high at all. It is 1/10 the price of a ticket to alot of games.

So instead do the calculations at 200k fans paying for a ISU/Okie st game or ISU/BYU game etc..

That's still $10 million in revenue per school for that payout for 5 games. If the other 7 games on ESPN/Fox etc payout $12-$15 mil a year..Making $22-$25mil in TV revenue isn't far off from the TV revenue each Big 12 team got in 2020 which was around $27 Mil....The $38 mil included bowl games, NCAA tourney etc..

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would say one way to let schools make some money would be to let them have their Olympic sports, and all replays out of season of their games. You own the rights to the football games after January first or so.

You could have replays of the games just played that week. An ISU fan can watch the WV/TCU game on Tuesday night if they are interested. Have it like Netflixs that the games are visible during the season on demand.

I would buy the packages for FB and MBB and would give ISU money to watch the Remaining sports via the old cyclones TV type thing.

Hard to spot it out coherently when I’m jacking thoughts out and typing with my thumbs in my phone.

Reactions: NWICY

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Lol, dude I'm not making a money bet on Cincinnati v. Indiana with some weirdo on a message board.
Not sure how to break this to you....you ARE the weirdo...and you're on someone else's board which is even weirder.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Not sure how to break this to you....you ARE the weirdo...and you're on someone else's board which is even weirder.

You’re right, he is. But your hot takes are pretty bad.

I was the one saying Iowa State would be fine. It’s the others, to which you have joined in with, that are trying to pretend that somehow a conference that is seen on par with the aac without its two marquee programs, is going to all of a sudden make all this money.

Pretending 200000 people will pay 20 dollars for a ppv football game is among the dumber takes, but pretending that Amazon will be thrilled to fork over a bunch of money to these schools is ludicrous

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
You’re right, he is. But your hot takes are pretty bad.

I was the one saying Iowa State would be fine. It’s the others, to which you have joined in with, that are trying to pretend that somehow a conference that is seen on par with the aac without its two marquee programs, is going to all of a sudden make all this money.

Pretending 200000 people will pay 20 dollars for a ppv football game is among the dumber takes, but pretending that Amazon will be thrilled to fork over a bunch of money to these schools is ludicrous

How to spot a Hawkeye claiming to be an "objective" Cyclone.

Anyone claiming the below is perceived akin to the AAC knows NOTHING about football...OR...more likely....is a "wishful thinking" Hawkeye fan. Fans of college football are not morons, and any objective measure of the below aggregation shows a conference better on the field then two of the other P5 leagues.
BYU
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Cincinnati
West Virginia
TCU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How to spot a Hawkeye claiming to be an "objective" Cyclone.

Do you see a lot of good things said by general media about the 8 teams outside of OUt?

They had game day yesterday and some picked ISU in the Big 12 Title game but they were also claiming ISU had never had expectations entering a season which means they STILL haven't done their homework because they don't care.