Week 1 Tailgating Observations

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Not just parking related, but with the new football facility you cant get in the west gate from the north parking lots. WE tailgate up north and it was a ***** to wait in the North gate line instead of the "old" way.
Question. We park in the north lots, but our tickets say we have to go in the South gate. Would we be turned away if we attempted to enter in the North gate so we don't have to walk all the way around the stadium to get in?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Question. We park in the north lots, but our tickets say we have to go in the South gate. Would we be turned away if we attempted to enter in the North gate so we don't have to walk all the way around the stadium to get in?

No. You can enter from any gate. The suggestion is based on where your seats are, not where you parked.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
i really, really, really wish iowa state ad had the balls to tell people they cant park in the paved lots starting some time X minutes before the game.

there's always some jerkwad in a cadillac or huge suv that arrives at 2:45 for the 3:30 kick off and makes everyone clear the way so they can find a spot.

Sorry if a donor chooses or is required to be productive in the morning and still wants to attend the game in the afternoon and park in the spot he paid and donated towards.

Your gripe is akin to saying fans shouldn't be allowed into the stadium after the first quarter because you've already spread out on their unclaimed seats

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Not so much tailgating, but I hated the new north entrance. Felt like being hearded like cattle. Huge cluster****
I was pretty pissed when the eastern most line let UNI fans bud in front of about 40 people. I was pissed at the UNI fans and the ISU fans for lettting them.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
We park near east hyvee and walk. On saturday we went to the car, ate at Huhot, and dropped off our guests back at Gateway hotel, and there were still people leaving Ames. This is why we don't park in the lots - that is an absurd amount of time to be stuck in traffic.

Wait, you don't park in the donor lots but still want to tell the AD when to close them down pre kickoff?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Back in the day when there were early big games (Iowa, Nebraska) they would start putting the line up into the student lot pretty early - like 0400 - so there weren't issues with the making a **** show out of everything early in the morning.

Back in the day we had a lot of 11am kickoffs. Similar timeframe in relation to kickoff

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Sorry if a donor chooses or is required to be productive in the morning and still wants to attend the game in the afternoon and park in the spot he paid and donated towards.

Your gripe is akin to saying fans shouldn't be allowed into the stadium after the first quarter because you've already spread out on their unclaimed seats
People should be able to show up later if something comes up but they really do need to figure out a no tailgating lot for people who just want to show up and go to the game. I think it would solve a lot of the issues. Separate people who want to tailgate and people who want to park.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
People should be able to show up later if something comes up but they really do need to figure out a no tailgating lot for people who just want to show up and go to the game. I think it would solve a lot of the issues. Separate people who want to tailgate and people who want to park.
Yah this seems reasonable. Not everyone is able to get to the game 3+ hours before kickoff.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

This is actually very reasonable.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The big issue is the flow of people and along with having their tailgating gear spread out in the lot. The early birds with the small buses and SUVs get the end spots for more space and then people try to maneuver around everything. Just wait some game someone trying to get a spot late will accidentally hit the gas instead of the brakes and someone will get hurt possibly killed.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Wait, you don't park in the donor lots but still want to tell the AD when to close them down pre kickoff?
Not only that, here is how he feels about people leaving the donor lots after the game:

"i am one of those peds that cross here and i have zero sympathy for people in cars, listening to radio in a climate-controlled vehicle."

So to summarize:

-People that donate and buy parking passes should have to arrive at least 90 minutes before every game so he can tailgate uninterrupted in the driving lanes of a donor lot, at a tailgate someone else presumably set up.
-Those that arrive early and tailgate shouldn't be bothered by long wait times to leave after the game so he and other pedestrians get preference while he walks to his free parking in the neighborhoods around the stadium.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
G7 was incredibly inefficient. Gaps all over the place. In the past you'd have parking attendants directing you into a spot leaving 4-5 feet or so between vehicles. We had probably 10'+ gaps between cars near us.

Due to kids soccer I'm probably only going to get there 1.5hrs before kick. I just hope I don't get turned away from G7 like many reported this last week.

For anyone that got turned away, what was your backup plan?

• Angry
Reactions: StevieISU23

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
G7 was incredibly inefficient. Gaps all over the place. In the past you'd have parking attendants directing you into a spot leaving 4-5 feet or so between vehicles. We had probably 10'+ gaps between cars near us.

Due to kids soccer I'm probably only going to get there 1.5hrs before kick. I just hope I don't get turned away from G7 like many reported this last week.

For anyone that got turned away, what was your backup plan?

These college age parking attendants have no clue how to park cars and are probably afraid to tell people how and where to park for fear they may get yelled at. Just my two cents.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Many people don't know how to properly use the portapotty "In Use/Open" latch. Almost every time we went up there, there were stalls empty but the latch was moved to "In Use" (and not closed) and no one ever approached them and the line would back up.
They likely know how to use them, and just flip the sign on ones they'll be able to walk right up to and use later.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
i really, really, really wish iowa state ad had the balls to tell people they cant park in the paved lots starting some time X minutes before the game.

there's always some jerkwad in a cadillac or huge suv that arrives at 2:45 for the 3:30 kick off and makes everyone clear the way so they can find a spot.
Wait until you have kids playing youth sports or daughters in VB. Those jerkwads may very well be the next players or students at ISU you are telling to screw off.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
These college age parking attendants have no clue how to park cars and are probably afraid to tell people how and where to park for fear they may get yelled at. Just my two cents.
Im not sure I saw any of them get off sitting on the ground in the paved lots.

In the RV lots I have no idea why they dont park them furthest from the entrance and fill in from there. Makes no sense to let an RV park and leave 1 spot in front of them. Great parking by the pig farmer on Saturday morning though.

• Haha
Reactions: cycloner29

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Not only that, here is how he feels about people leaving the donor lots after the game:

"i am one of those peds that cross here and i have zero sympathy for people in cars, listening to radio in a climate-controlled vehicle."

So to summarize:

-People that donate and buy parking passes should have to arrive at least 90 minutes before every game so he can tailgate uninterrupted in the driving lanes of a donor lot, at a tailgate someone else presumably set up.
-Those that arrive early and tailgate shouldn't be bothered by long wait times to leave after the game so he and other pedestrians get preference while he walks to his free parking in the neighborhoods around the stadium.
Pretty much, yes.

Are you suggesting that in the middle of winter, those in climate-controlled cars should have the right of way over pedestrians on City of Ames streets?