Nov 17, 2017
The good:
-Football is back
-Grass lots are open
-Verizon works much better than in previous years
-Can pay with card to park
-The good guys got a "W"

Airing of Grievances:
-The new parking management company seems to have a lot to learn, hopefully they learn quickly
-Vet med parking is greatly reduced due to construction.
-IMO the pre-sale of grass lot parking and the dis-allowance of RVs/Busses kills the atmosphere a bit
-By 7pm Friday night vet med was mostly full. For those who came late Friday or early Saturday with an RV/bus where did you park?
-There is no re-entry Friday night after you get to the vet med lot with your RV. So you can't park camper and go to restaurant etc and expect to get back in.
-There seemed to be a lot of dead space and places where more vehicles could have been parked that never got filled in.

What's everyone else's feedback on tailgating/parking management. Where is the place to be with an RV/bus in week 2?

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Not just parking related, but with the new football facility you cant get in the west gate from the north parking lots. WE tailgate up north and it was a ***** to wait in the North gate line instead of the "old" way.
That line took around 15 minutes to get to the ticket takers. Not too bad, but when we first got in to the line it looked like it was going to be a much longer wait.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i really, really, really wish iowa state ad had the balls to tell people they cant park in the paved lots starting some time X minutes before the game.

there's always some jerkwad in a cadillac or huge suv that arrives at 2:45 for the 3:30 kick off and makes everyone clear the way so they can find a spot.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
i really, really, really wish iowa state ad had the balls to tell people they cant park in the paved lots starting some time X minutes before the game.

there's always some jerkwad in a cadillac or huge suv that arrives at 2:45 for the 3:30 kick off and makes everyone clear the way so they can find a spot.
That is an ISU / parking attendant issue and not a late arriving vehicle issue.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

It seems the solution to that is to fill all the spots as you arrive. When you leave empty spots in between cars to get more space, that leaves open the opportunity for the parking attendants to fill them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I don't have a problem with people coming through an aisle that has open spaces, but it is really frustrating when your entire aisle is parked full (RV lot in our case) and someone comes and makes everyone move to come down an already full aisle. Sometimes it is trying to find a parking place, sometimes it is to drop off stuff at their RV. With the latter, you aren't even supposed to be in this lot - go park in the lot for which you have a pass rather than coming into the RV lot. Four or five hours before kickoff - fine everyone needs to drop off stuff at their RVs some times - less than an hour before kickoff you need to park where you are supposed to and carry your stuff if you are coming that late. Our aisle and several around it are full on Friday so it isn't like you are going to find an open spot anytime on Saturday.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

They should save a handful of spaces right at an entrance of each lot for late arrivers to prevent the dangers of driving up and down packed rows.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
They used to have those Junior ROTC kids that would help drivers find open stalls. Didn't see anybody in the lots except when you come in, and they use a white marker on your rear window to show where your lot was.

Reactions: LowOverhead

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
There was a communication breakdown (possibly caused by radio failure) that led the parking lot attendants near the front entrance to G7 to think that the lot was full when it wasn't. Some people were turned away; thankfully people in my group who were already parked there told us that there were still plenty of spots left in the last couple rows. And the attendant didn't even scan our parking pass.

I didn't like the partitions they had up inside the north gate that forced you up either the east or west side. I didn't see them until we got inside and we had to walk up to the east side to cross the concourse over to the west. Not a huge deal but a bit of a PITA.

I heard generally good things about traffic and parking though. Could have been worse considering we're all two years out of practice from doing this.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Not just parking related, but with the new football facility you cant get in the west gate from the north parking lots. WE tailgate up north and it was a ***** to wait in the North gate line instead of the "old" way.
When we saw that line on the north end, we walked up South 4th to Beach and then around to Reiman and hit the West Gate

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If that happens again this week, sell that puppy to a late-arriving Iowa fan. :cool:

He wasn't there for the game. Just stopped to say hi for 20 minutes or so then left so it wasn't a big deal as there were many spots still left at 1:30 or so when he got there.

Reactions: Trice

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Reactions: zimman18

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope they manage parking a lot better than they did 2 years ago when we had Game Day. I got off Hwy 30 at the Duff exit and it took over 2 hours before we finally got parked in G8 and that was about 7:45am be the time we actually were parked so going to the Game Day set before they went on air was a lost cause. I bet I sat on Duff for about 2/3 of that time before the lines every moved much. Granted the grass lots were limited for parking and closed the rest of the season after that game but it sounded like they were late getting the "holding lot" people moved to the student lots and it created a massive backup then they had no flow to how they were filling what was open after that. We barely got into G8 as just a few cars after us they stopped filling the lot as they were not using G4/G5 that week so not sure where they diverted the rest of the mess behind us to.

Makes me nervous how early we will have to get into town that morning if we want parked before Game Day goes on air.