Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Got to push back on what that reporter said because that is exactly what OSU is doing right now. They played Mich, PSU, Sparty, and Oregon. Michigan did the same thing by scheduling washington although they were clearly overrated, PSU scheduled aubrun and sparty scheduled Miami. Divisions are 100% going away but its the alliance scheduling that is in question as well as the protected rivalry's.
The difference is currently if they make the championship game, they play the weak West division. Under the purposed system, even if they make the championship game and have to play one of those teams again and lose, they are finished, It also weakens everyone in the east schedule, making it easier in the long run.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Is it time to worry about this "Alliance" for out of conference games? If they only play each other (except existing rivalries or already scheduled) and the only other major conference (SEC) was aiding in trying to break up the Big 12, who are the Big 12 teams going to play that helps the resume? And I am not buying the notion that the Big 12 wasn't invited to be part of the Alliance because Texas and OU are still in the conference.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Is it time to worry about this "Alliance" for out of conference games? If they only play each other (except existing rivalries or already scheduled) and the only other major conference (SEC) was aiding in trying to break up the Big 12, who are the Big 12 teams going to play that helps the resume? And I am not buying the notion that the Big 12 wasn't invited to be part of the Alliance because Texas and OU are still in the conference.

My guess is the Big 12 will likely play 9 conference games and often 1 SEC team in the non con, with exceptions for BYU, Iowa State, etc. Most Big 12 teams will play 10 P5 opponents, like most of the rest of the P5.

I would like to see the Big 12 get rid of divisions and do something like a 3+6 - where each team plays 3 protected opponents plus 6 of the remaining 8 every year on a rotation. ISU's protected opponents could be KU, KSU, and Cincy or WVU.

I also doubt that the Alliance will stop playing the SEC entirely. Too much money to be made with early season Ohio State vs. Florida or whatever.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
With the Big 10 likely going to 8 conference games, I doubt much changes for ISU. The CyHawk game will continue with Iowa playing an alliance game (Pitt, Arizona, etc.). ISU will play 9 conference games, Iowa, FBS scrub, and FCS scrub.

Current CyHawk contract is aligned with the playoff FYI. 4 more games currently scheduled

Reactions: landerson

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
With the Big 10 likely going to 8 conference games, I doubt much changes for ISU. The CyHawk game will continue with Iowa playing an alliance game (Pitt, Arizona, etc.). ISU will play 9 conference games, Iowa, FBS scrub, and FCS scrub.

Current CyHawk contract is aligned with the playoff FYI. 4 more games currently scheduled
The plan for 8 conference games by the B10 appears to be already trashed and predictably so as they enter an exclusive negotiating window with ESPN. Conference inventory is more stable and valuable. P12 will also follow suit. Odds of both conferences expanding have increased and that will impact B12 settlement discussions with ESPN/SEC/OUT.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So how many Irate8 teams do they need to buy off via moving them to B1G or P12 in order to dissolve the Big12 contract and let OuT off for free? What's the majority required? Because that is what ESPN will want.

Move 2 to B1G and 4 to the P12? Both then 16 team conferences.

ISU/KU to B1G (academics)
TT/OSU/UH/TCU to P12 (BYU would make more sense than TCU but too Jesus-y)

Cincy to ACC?

UCF & BYU no worse off; Baylor and WV hosed.

• Dumb
Reactions: surly

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Question time

Heard elsewhere that Pollard implied that the future of the Big 12 was 16 teams. Anyone know where that come from? And if so who are 15 and 16? Memphis and Boise State feel pretty locked given other reports.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

I think the Ohio State AD just recently stated maybe they are staying at 9 games in conference. Maybe the tv deal renewal will dictate what they do. What gets them the most money.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Question time

Heard elsewhere that Pollard implied that the future of the Big 12 was 16 teams. Anyone know where that come from? And if so who are 15 and 16? Memphis and Boise State feel pretty locked given other reports.

That's hard to fathom unless all P5 are going 16 as part of some kind of grand plan, which is 80 teams, which means you are adding some really dodgy folks like Temple and USF and worse.

OR

if the B1G and SEC are going to somehow breakup the ACC and go to 20 teams each, and the Big12 poaches the leftovers.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
That'd be idiotic and it really makes no sense unless the Big 12 loses more schools.

The Big 12 is going into contract negotiations with media partners in the next couple years and if they thought anyone aside from the four they already added made sense, they would have added them before negotiating a new contract. It's also a stretch to believe a Memphis or USF or anyone out there would add any value after a new contract is signed - or that there'd be a pro rata clause either.

The Big 12 has always acted in a way that means juicing every last cent out for their schools. Absolutely no reason to believe adding anyone else does that.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just a little reminder that the Big 12 isn't in a great negotiating position. Even the ACC and PAC have a network backed TV deals that keep their teams directly in the potential view of more casual fans than the Big 12 streaming deal does. There is more than a little risk being the biggest brand league in the position that we currently are, from a prestige standpoint. It feels like we are negotiating with one hand tied behind our backs.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Just a little reminder that the Big 12 isn't in a great negotiating position. Even the ACC and PAC have a network backed TV deals that keep their teams directly in the potential view of more casual fans than the Big 12 streaming deal does. There is more than a little risk being the biggest brand league in the position that we currently are, from a prestige standpoint. It feels like we are negotiating with one hand tied behind our backs.
I disagree strongly with this. The big 12 is in the third best position for media rights deals due to the simple fact that they are the third best for tv ratings. Now if media execs think those numbers will crater after OUT leaves that's one thing but I dont think they will.

The big ten will not be signing with ESPN and the hang-ups with NBC/CBS are with putting games on Peacock/paramount respectively. With ESPN absorbing the SEC in a few years CBS will need some college football and might be willing to overpay the big12 as they have better ratings then the PAC and the ACC rights deal has a decade left on it.

I would be hoping that the USC revival doesn't happen otherwise that could make the Pac more enticing but still the Big 12 will be in a strong position.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I disagree strongly with this. The big 12 is in the third best position for media rights deals due to the simple fact that they are the third best for tv ratings. Now if media execs think those numbers will crater after OUT leaves that's one thing but I dont think they will.

The big ten will not be signing with ESPN and the hang-ups with NBC/CBS are with putting games on Peacock/paramount respectively. With ESPN absorbing the SEC in a few years CBS will need some college football and might be willing to overpay the big12 as they have better ratings then the PAC and the ACC rights deal has a decade left on it.

I would be hoping that the USC revival doesn't happen otherwise that could make the Pac more enticing but still the Big 12 will be in a strong position.
The B12 R8 (minus WV) are better off financially aligning with the P12 in some fashion than staying put with the new commuter schools in the geographic cluster eff of the projected B12.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The B12 R8 (minus WV) are better off financially aligning with the P12 in some fashion than staying put with the new commuter schools in the geographic cluster eff of the projected B12.
I don't entirely disagree with that but I think a partnership with the Pac isn't happening at this point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron