Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I am saying that from a negotiations standpoint, the Big 12 has already agreed to allow tons of their content (including actual premium content like ISU vs Kansas basketball) to be put behind an effective ESPN paywall on ESPN+ for a mere $2 million a year per school, and ceded entire control of what content goes there--it isn't just tier 3 type material. We are the only Power 5 conference to give them that deal, all the others have to varying degrees of success gotten ESPN to allocate their programming to providers to directly put in front of the fans on their tvs.

It is a fact that you can turn on a TV on the west coast and see all kinds of PAC programming. The same is true for the ACC, the B1G, and SEC in their areas. But if you want to see Iowa State wrestling, women's basketball, or nonconference men's basketball, it is different. Now that the Big 12 has accepted that premise, that will probably always be the terms of a deal for us to be on ESPN.
Yeah that's a valid point and why the BIG is pushing back hard on some games being on streaming platforms. I am sure a giant check could persuade them but it is a major sticking point for leadership at this time.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the Ohio State AD just recently stated maybe they are staying at 9 games in conference. Maybe the tv deal renewal will dictate what they do. What gets them the most money.

ESPN reported last night the Big10 would stay at 9 conference games and that would preclude expanding games against the Pac12 & ACC which was touted as a benefit of the Alliance hyped last fall.

I am sure their TV partners told them playing Big10 opponents draws bigger audiences than games against Pac12 & ACC. Sure, games like Ohio State and Oregon draw audience. But doubt there is much national TV interest in games like Iowa vs. Wake Forest or Minnesota vs. Washington State.

Will be curious if this is all PR about a $1B annual rights deal is to persuade schools like USC in the Pac12 to join the Big10.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yep but what i am saying is that while every single game they and OU were in got good ratings there were several Big12 games not involving them that did very well. Losing those two is obv a huge hit to the floor of what the leagues ratings can be but the Big12 had a bunch of well rated games without OUT.

Not really, at least according to Sports Media Watch. There were only two non-OuT Big 12 regular season games that drew >2 million viewers. Both involved ISU, 2.66 million v. OSU and 2.01 million v. Baylor. Other than that, there were only five non-OuT games that drew >1 million viewers. All other non-OuT regular season games drew <1 million viewers. But I guess it depends on how you define "very well" and "well rated."

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Not really, at least according to Sports Media Watch. There were only two non-OuT Big 12 regular season games that drew >2 million viewers. Both involved ISU, 2.66 million v. OSU and 2.01 million v. Baylor. Other than that, there were only five non-OuT games that drew >1 million viewers. All other non-OuT regular season games drew <1 million viewers. But I guess it depends on how you define "very well" and "well rated."
Valid points. Personally I am comparing them to ACC/PAC since that is who the competition for media dollars will be but you bring up good stats.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Valid points. Personally I am comparing them to ACC/PAC since that is who the competition for media dollars will be but you bring up good stats.
Don't question a hawk fans knowledge of Iowa state tv numbers he's posting on a cyclone fan site. Dude rides hard to deliver you facts.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am saying that from a negotiations standpoint, the Big 12 has already agreed to allow tons of their content (including actual premium content like ISU vs Kansas basketball) to be put behind an effective ESPN paywall on ESPN+ for a mere $2 million a year per school, and ceded entire control of what content goes there--it isn't just tier 3 type material. We are the only Power 5 conference to give them that deal, all the others have to varying degrees of success gotten ESPN to allocate their programming to providers to directly put in front of the fans on their tvs.

It is a fact that you can turn on a TV on the west coast and see all kinds of PAC programming. The same is true for the ACC, the B1G, and SEC in their areas. But if you want to see Iowa State wrestling, women's basketball, or nonconference men's basketball, it is different. Now that the Big 12 has accepted that premise, that will probably always be the terms of a deal for us to be on ESPN.

I personally prefer the ESPN+ model vs. linear conference networks. IMO streaming of sports is the future and its unlimited what sports can be shown. As an ISU fan I can watch WBB, wrestling or softball. Nationally, the Big10 Network is only in something like 60M households, the Pac12 is like 15M households. Its great is your TV provides includes those Conference Networks in their base package, but for most Americans they are an added monthly cost.

Also, it no longer takes a broadcast network to televise sports. Just have cameras similar to GoPro and hire a couple ISU broadcast majors and no limit on televising every ISU sport contest like soccer, swimming, track & field, etc.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Louisville is still almost 80 spots ahead of WVU but we can agree to disagree on that. I also doubt that ESPN pays a buyout for OUT or that a buyout even happens at all. OUT does not want to move to the SEC with what they have going on right now and its just 2 more seasons isn't it? Or is it 3?
4 more seasons and there is no way in hell Texas will be in the same conference as Houston.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I personally prefer the ESPN+ model vs. linear conference networks. IMO streaming of sports is the future and its unlimited what sports can be shown. As an ISU fan I can watch WBB, wrestling or softball. Nationally, the Big10 Network is only in something like 60M households, the Pac12 is like 15M households. Its great is your TV provides includes those Conference Networks in their base package, but for most Americans they are an added monthly cost.

Also, it no longer takes a broadcast network to televise sports. Just have cameras similar to GoPro and hire a couple ISU broadcast majors and no limit on televising every ISU sport contest like soccer, swimming, track & field, etc.

Well there does need to be some production value or you get Blum and Sage in a closet trying to broadcast.

However strapping a GoPro to a soccer player's head and giving that as a viewing option could be fun

Reactions: Cloneon

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The B10's decision to go with 9 conference games and essentially torpedo the grand non con scheduling plans of the Alliance has shot the wheels off of the Pac12's initial negotiating strategy which was horribly flawed to begin with.

Kliavkoff had recently publicly indicated that they were going to enter negotiations with a strategy of 8 conference games, 2 annual non con homes & homes with the B10 and ACC, PACN retaining some inventory and no expansion. That strategy was seriously effed to begin with and it has already been blown up with the B10 sticking to 9 conference games. The P12 can no longer have FB inventory on PACN and non games with the ACC were never going to stimulate payouts. They have to expand into the Central time zone to increase their exposure and payouts and the only way to do that is with expansion of some or all of the R8 (minus WV).

Or that same kind of scheduling "alliance" but with the Big12. Don't need to merge/expand, when you can just partner. Both 12 team leagues. You could do something fun with it too, like have a 4 team CCG and do one of your alliance games the same as the semifinal week.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Or that same kind of scheduling "alliance" but with the Big12. Don't need to merge/expand, when you can just partner. Both 12 team leagues. You could do something fun with it too, like have a 4 team CCG and do one of your alliance games the same as the semifinal week.
This makes an incredible amount of sense for all parties involved.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You would know far more inside info then I would about Big12 matters but its odd there has been no reporting about any kind of negotiations for a release.

I don't have any more info than you, but why continue this farce. Espn can pay the exit fee, thats what they want anyway.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron