Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Even Iowa fans are learning that the “right way” mantra is just a cover for the coaching staff. It made sense as an attack on your in-state rival in Hoiberg’s early years. Now, it is just dumb.

I don’t think it ever made sense - we followed the rules and provided a second opportunity to young men after their first school didn’t work out. I don’t see how that’s “the wrong way.”

There’s also a hidden, negative, connotation with it that those transfers were “thugs” while the 4-year player was righteous.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t think it ever made sense - we followed the rules and provided a second opportunity to young men after their first school didn’t work out. I don’t see how that’s “the wrong way.”

There’s also a hidden, negative, connotation with it that those transfers were “thugs” while the 4-year was righteous.

There was a reason for that.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
A few comments:

1. I think Fran soured his recruiting reach especially with transfers when he whined about how he hated it a couple years back.

2. First reaction from Iowa fans when we made the sweet 16 was "transfer U" lol. Jealousy is a stinky cologne. It's part of college basketball like it or not. TJ gets it....

3. Outside of Cook and Garza, I can't really find much success in Fran's program from players that weren't Iowa fans growing up or his kids.

4. How do you sell Iowa basketball? Your ceiling is basically a lot of regular season wins against mediocre Big 10 programs and maybe once every 15 years a Big 10 tournament title.
Could a fanbase be further out of touch on the transfer thing?

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

There’s also a hidden, negative, connotation with it that those transfers were “thugs” while the 4-year player was righteous.
Not very hidden at all

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There’s zero reason to call any transfer ISU has ever gotten a thug. It was Iowa fans way of showing their racism and lack of awareness without overtly saying, “we’re racist and iowa is doing it the white right way!”
This. The thug accusation is pathetic and disgusting. And thankfully, it's nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be. It crops up periodically, but not nearly as much as it used to.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While I thought the concept was crazy at first I honestly don't think he wants to nudge his kids out. By all measures Sandfort should have taken up Connor's minutes last year and he didn't.

Sandfort averaged 10 minutes per game despite 2nd highest +/- in the nation and having a PER of 18.8 and averaging 27.2 points per 100 possessions.

Connor averaged 17 minutes per game with a PER of 10.5 and averaging 8.4 points per 100 possessions.

In the loss against Richmond Connor played 23 minutes and scored precisely 0 points, whereas Sandfort got 8 minutes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This. The thug accusation is pathetic and disgusting. And thankfully, it's nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be. It crops up periodically, but not nearly as much as it used to.

Had a Bucky fan call Haliburton a thug when I brought him up in conversation his freshman year.

It's still very much a thing.

And the whole time, both programs have been the ones with thugs including Connor but that gets called 'competitive'.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Had a Bucky fan call Haliburton a thug when I brought him up in conversation his freshman year.

And the whole time, both programs have been the ones with thugs including Connor but that gets called 'competitive'.
I can't speak to Bucky fans. I was speaking about Hawkeye message boards, specifically. And in the last 20 years, the "thug" epithet is far less common than it used to be. It's not gone, by any means, but it's not used with even close to the same frequency. Now maybe it was replaced by "transfer-U" which may share some similar roots with the "thug" accusation, but even that is on the decline, as opposing transfers is becoming a good way to identify yourself as a dinosaur.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

little things
coach on the floor
fiery competitor

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

That's funny. I can't think of many players less thuglike than Tyrese.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
While I thought the concept was crazy at first I honestly don't think he wants to nudge his kids out. By all measures Sandfort should have taken up Connor's minutes last year and he didn't.

Sandfort averaged 10 minutes per game despite 2nd highest +/- in the nation and having a PER of 18.8 and averaging 27.2 points per 100 possessions.

Connor averaged 17 minutes per game with a PER of 10.5 and averaging 8.4 points per 100 possessions.

In the loss against Richmond Connor played 23 minutes and scored precisely 0 points, whereas Sandfort got 8 minutes.
"but it's the bounce passes Gerry..if you push him too far"

• Haha
Reactions: clonehome

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Davison is a ******* thug. Change my mind.
Davison isn’t a thug, he’s just a whiney *itch. He’s a man of Christ and plays with a lot of heart and passion. He’s of those guys you’d love to have on your team and hate playing against. He is to Wisconsin what bohannon is to iowa. Except I wouldn’t want bohannon on my team and love playing against him cuz he’s trash. Now that I’m talking myself through this, bohannon is just a whiney *itch, like Davison

Help Support Us

Become a patron