Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I've been doing my transfer portal following for this year again for a few weeks now and I noticed that I haven't seen Fran or Iowas names come up once yet as far as pursing active transfers. Just between Keegan(likely) and Bohannon leaving that's their top 2 scorers, top rebounder, and 2 of their top 3 3pt shooters. Yet no real effort to replace them. They do have 2 guards coming in but they don't seem to have much for bigs next year, which will likely be a problem. Any reason why Fran seems to despise the portal so much?

Other than the obvious reason of The Right Way of course

Fran Portal Quote:

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I've been doing my transfer portal following for this year again for a few weeks now and I noticed that I haven't seen Fran or Iowas names come up once yet as far as pursing active transfers. Just between Keegan(likely) and Bohannon leaving that's their top 2 scorers, top rebounder, and 2 of their top 3 3pt shooters. Yet no real effort to replace them. They do have 2 guards coming in but they don't seem to have much for bigs next year, which will likely be a problem. Any reason why Fran seems to despise the portal so much?

His kids already play for him

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Even Iowa fans are learning that the “right way” mantra is just a cover for the coaching staff. It made sense as an attack on your in-state rival in Hoiberg’s early years. Now, it is just dumb.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

1) He has two sons eating up minutes. He couldn't sell the program to a transfer even if he was invested in the idea of the portal

2) He's a clown

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
And Kris being just as good as Keegan but just a year behind in development despite the fact they’re twins and they’ve trained together their whole life.
I think Kris will end up being pretty damn good, but he’s no where as athletic and shifty as his brother.

Reactions: chadly82

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Honestly, we have all seen Enaruna offensively decent enough but struggle on the defensive end, and with what appears to be minimal defensive practice at Iowa, he could fit in there.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When's he planning on getting to the second weekend of the NCAA's? I mean, it's been 26 years already.
To Hawkeye fans, the second weekend of the tournament is like a long hot shower. It's been a long time since they've had one. They know they need it. Other people are starting to notice that it's been a while. And while they might cover themselves in a fog of fancy perfumes and scented oils, at the end of the day, they realize that until they get one, everyone will know they stink.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Question for Hawk fans. Does it anger you that Fran doesn’t recruit over his own children? Connor played 23 minutes against Richmond and didn’t score a point. Patrick is okay but who is there to push him for minutes?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Don't jinx it. And when does Keegan announce he's going pro? Any chance Kris joins him? I've seen some rumblings that he's on draft boards too.

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Question for Hawk fans. Does it anger you that Fran doesn’t recruit over his own children? Connor played 23 minutes against Richmond and didn’t score a point. Patrick is okay but who is there to push him for minutes?
Can’t be as bad as Lichlighter’s kid playing real D1 minutes. He wouldn’t start for most 2A Iowa high school teams.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
A few comments:

1. I think Fran soured his recruiting reach especially with transfers when he whined about how he hated it a couple years back.

2. First reaction from Iowa fans when we made the sweet 16 was "transfer U" lol. Jealousy is a stinky cologne. It's part of college basketball like it or not. TJ gets it....

3. Outside of Cook and Garza, I can't really find much success in Fran's program from players that weren't Iowa fans growing up or his kids.

4. How do you sell Iowa basketball? Your ceiling is basically a lot of regular season wins against mediocre Big 10 programs and maybe once every 15 years a Big 10 tournament title.