Iowa State cracking down on sports clubs

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
LOL at nordic skiing being high, unsupported risk. This list is some stupid insurance nerdiness.
That’s one that stuck out to me too. Nordic skiing is basically the skiing equivalent of cross country. It’s not really that high risk at all.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That’s one that stuck out to me too. Nordic skiing is basically the skiing equivalent of cross country. It’s not really that high risk at all.
Don't get me wrong, there is risk. Nordic skis are sketchy when you have to navigate a downhill, but to put it in the highest risk category - over sports like lacrosse, hockey and rugby - is ludacris.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess they are trying to eliminate all water sports that don't take place in a pool. So I guess since snow is a form of water all snow sports go as well.

Reactions: aauummm

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So when did the Trap and Skeet club fold at ISU? I'm sure it should have made one of these lists.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I suspect cutting back is kind of the ISU thing right now.
One piece mentioned a lack of staffing to supervise some of these events. They aren't likely to go hiring enough people for that, so stuff's gonna go.
I mean, how much money do these clubs even get from Rec Services? As far as I can tell, no one is saying you can't have a club, it's just that Rec Services aren't going to sponsor it. Definitely liability is behind it, but I'm guessing it's not much that these clubs are losing out on.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Let's see. I played 5 years of soccer and suffered one slight concussion. And that's high risk? What is this world coming to? The worst injury I witnessed in soccer was a broken leg by some fool on another Big 8 team by getting his cleat stuck in the turf. I swear. We're going to legislate ourselves to death.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I can see the un marked ones being "high risk" but 90% of that list is relatively low risk honestly with the majority of the "supported" category being way worse.

Attachments

• 20220330_171025.jpg
    20220330_171025.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 25

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The timing of this is kind of funny to me. Just a couple of weeks ago daughter went on a visit to ISU. I swear they brought up a dozen times or more that there are over 900 clubs at ISU to participate in. At this rate there won't be near that many by the time daughter goes to ISU - if she does.

When I showed her this list as a nordic skiier she was surprised, but she was pissed when she saw fishing on there.

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
I think a lot of people are mis-reading the slides. The last slide is not higher risk than the second slide.

They are suggesting they stop supporting (e.g. funding) those on the last slide. All of the clubs on the 2nd and 3rd slide seem to have been deemed high risk in one regard or another.

As others have pointed out, anything that requires travel to do is probably more expensive to support than something that doesn't. That plus being a 'high risk' in terms of liability is probably why they are proposing the cut. Given everything else we hear, cost is almost certainly the main distinction here.

• Winner
Reactions: BMWallace

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Let's see. I played 5 years of soccer and suffered one slight concussion. And that's high risk? What is this world coming to? The worst injury I witnessed in soccer was a broken leg by some fool on another Big 8 team by getting his cleat stuck in the turf. I swear. We're going to legislate ourselves to death.
I know of multiple concussions, ACL, MCL tears, broken leg, broken arm, fractured cheek bone in just the girls daughter has played with. So yes, I can see them saying high risk. Probably higher risk than nordic ski.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I know of multiple concussions, ACL, MCL tears, broken leg, broken arm, fractured cheek bone in just the girls daughter has played with. So yes, I can see them saying high risk. Probably higher risk than nordic ski.
Saw lot of injuries playing club soccer and the years before college. High risk for injury but very low risk for permanent injury or death.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The timing of this is kind of funny to me. Just a couple of weeks ago daughter went on a visit to ISU. I swear they brought up a dozen times or more that there are over 900 clubs at ISU to participate in. At this rate there won't be near that many by the time daughter goes to ISU - if she does.

When I showed her this list as a nordic skiier she was surprised, but she was pissed when she saw fishing on there.

This is funny to me as a former tour guide who remembers sharing this stat (repeatedly) as "over 700 student organizations." Good to see things continue to grow over time.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I was in the ski club too, and we never got any support from the University, so what’s the difference.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron